Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insurrection's PLU-3!!!

Faster

New in Town
Faster,

Great jacket. If I can bug you to ask, how's the PLU-3's length in a riding tuck? Does the extra length bunch up, and if so, can the double-end zipper fix this?

Also, is the back extended? Most of the pics look like it's cut straight all around the bottom; Insurrection's site photos make it look like it's dipped a bit in back, though, which I'd greatly prefer.

I am ordering a custom armored Comet myself and have a few decisions to make. Appreciate the assist.

I definitely wouldn't go with an armored Comet...I did that and hated it! I'd go with a Forcefield armored coolmax shirt (front zip) and pair it with the PLU-3. You can't go wrong with this combo! The jacket doesn't bunch up at all, and if it does you have the double-ended zipper to fix it. The back of the jacket is not dropped (it's straight). Yet, a drop back doesn't do much (I've owned a ton of them). In fact, the PLU-3 covers my lower back better than anything I've ever owned...

AgentX

New in Town
Hey, thanks--why didn't you like the armored jacket? My problem is I want something with armor protection that comes off along with the jacket; can't wear the coolmax shirt over work attire or anything.

As of now I am going with a custom size armored Comet, probably with the double-end zipper, so essentially a PLU-3 with armor. Really interested in hearing the disadvantages of the armor.

Last edited:

Redbeard77

New in Town
Does the PLU-3 have an action/bi-swing back? I want one to ride in and that's a factor in deciding between this and the Model B or other. Or is it not a big deal?

AgentX

New in Town
I was just back in the States and thankfully was near Fall River, so I stopped in to Vanson and ended up getting myself a stock Model A in brown. Love it for riding and it'd be great off the bike if the weather warranted.

First tried a Comet which has the one-piece back. The Model A and variants have a bi-swing.

I found the Comet was pretty limiting in movement compared to the Model A. But the Comet is designed for the riding position; even still, I found that on my body it bunched a bit in back in a tuck. Looked like this guy:

vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-accessories_4.jpg

The Model A was better for me both on the bike and off. Only thing I really don't like about the stock design is the vertical seam on the back. (But hey, I can't see that when I'm wearing it.) And the Model A might be too long for a riding tuck if you don't have a particularly long torso like I do. Fine if you're on a crusier, maybe OK on a standard.

Comet was way short on me, especially in the rear. Doesn't have a dropped back which I prefer. (Model A does.) PLU-3 is probably a lot better, but with a long front that double-end zipper might be really handy in keeping the front end from riding up into your neck.

Edit to add: I also obviously decided to go without integrated armor once I'd tried on the jackets. When I get a chance to try the jacket on over an armored shirt like the Forcefield I'll give it a go--thanks for the tip, Faster.

Last edited:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Weird. I thought the bike in Faster's avatar pic looked like an old Honda and wondered what was up with that.

Great bike by the way, but why on earth did Triumph decide to add that kink to the pipes on the Hinckley-bred Bonnies?

Last edited:

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Weird. I thought the bike in Faster's icon pic looked like an old Honda and wondered what was up with that.

Great bike by the way, but why on earth did Triumph decide to add that kink to the pipes on the Hinckley-bred Bonnies?

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure why the needed to add the kink. I know a lot of folks really don't like it, but I really like the angle it puts the cones in.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Likely to increase cornering clearance by raising the cans.
That would be my first guess as well, although I don't think they've gained anything over the older Bonnies in that regard. I'm guessing that the need to do so had something to with the requirement to drop the frame down a bit in order to accommodate that bigger lump of a twin they use today. That engine is considerably larger (in physical size and not just displacement) than the old 650s. Triumphs from the 60s are some of the most beautiful bikes ever built in my opinion, but the new ones sure like nice, especially without any puddles of oil underneath them.

bluesforchallah, your jacket looks right at home with that bike. Perfection.

FFTT: one creates the other I think we're both right. The lump is lower and wider, and the cans need a lift to allow hooliganism. So the bend. I'll split it with you :)

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
bluesforchallah, just wondering how you found the post/thread to begin with. Do you and faster ride together or even know each other for that matter?

It's funny, I was researching leather jackets and did a google search for the Vanson Chopper jacket and came across a different thread where someone was looking to unload a Langlitz that they're no longer using. I registered for the site and while waiting for my account to be approved and activated, stumbled upon this thread. Thought it was kinda creepy that others were lead to believe that it was 'Faster' in the photo. Didn't think much about it until the comment regarding the bike itself and he lead the others to believe it was his bike.

BTW... Heading to Portland on Thursday to pick up a new Langlitz Columbia. There... now we're back on topic of Leather jackets. :D

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Butte, yes I was agreeing with you, just rambling on was all. :D

bluesforchallah, the guys are Langlitz are great to deal with. Dave, John and Scott are all really good guys. Langlitz has added some new faces around there since I bought my jacket from them 7 years ago, and I'm sure they fit right in. That place is about as down-to-earth as it gets. I only live about two miles away from their shop and was able to stop by a couple of time to watch my jacket being constructed.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
The Vanson is a great jacket and the folks at Insurrection were great in getting it fit correctly. I truly believe they have a vast knowledge of their stock and know how a jacket should fit. However, I wanted something a little bit roomier so I could fit a sweater or hoodie underneath comfortably on cooler days and still have some room for movement. As it was, I could only layer a short sleeve t-shirt with a long sleeve t-shirt on underneath and still be able to zip the cuff zippers shut, anything more would be too uncomfortable for long periods of time. The time came and I sold the PLU-3 to riding buddy of mine who is now enjoying it's comforts. I then took the proceeds from the sale of the Vanson and put it towards the purchase of my new jacket; a Langlitz 10 pocket padded Columbia.

I'm looking forward to seeing many miles with this new jacket.

AB29001F-C8DE-42CF-AD4F-4B08915D9B95-3114-000004C703DEF4D6_zpsdd8f140f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az