Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was about ten, a kid on our street came running up to our house yelling for my mother. When she came out, he said, all frantic-like, "your little girl (my sister, who was around six) just hung herself from that big pine tree!" My mother ran down the street in a panic, found my sister playing obliviously in the dirt, ran back up the street, and beat the snot out of the boy. Literally knocked him into the gutter, kicked him, gave him the licking of his life.

After that, she felt guilty about beating up someone else's kid, and she called his mother. "I just hit your son," she started to explain."

"Hit him again," his mother replied, and hung up.

When I was about ten, a kid on our street came running up to our house yelling for my mother. When she came out, he said, all frantic-like, "your little girl (my sister, who was around six) just hung herself from that big pine tree!" My mother ran down the street in a panic, found my sister playing obliviously in the dirt, ran back up the street, and beat the snot out of the boy. Literally knocked him into the gutter, kicked him, gave him the licking of his life.

After that, she felt guilty about beating up someone else's kid, and she called his mother. "I just hit your son," she started to explain."

"Hit him again," his mother replied, and hung up.

Saves energy that way. :p

dr greg

One Too Many
When I was about 15 I was at a school dance when I saw a bloke outside I didn't like (and VV) so anyway a fight ensued, and we were going hammer and tongs when next minute we were dragged apart by the biggest cop I'd ever seen, 'what are you doin you *&^^%$"
I said, and he promptly delivered a right hook that sent me flying back over the bonnet of a car and a left when I bounced back, as I lay in the gutter he said "are you going to piss off home now or do you want some more"
I took off, and when I got home the old man took one look at my black eye and fat lip, and demanded an explanation...after I told him he said.."well you won't do that again in a hurry"...end of story: he was right....
If that happened today in this country, the cop would be sacked , the minister would have to resign, if not the entire government, and I'd get counselling and several million dollars, and never psychologically recover......

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I remember some good things…that I miss…but, sadly, are no more. I remember not having to lock the front door when my family went to sleep at night. I remember very young school children safely walking more than a mile home...alone...after school everyday. I remember kids taking their .22 rifles to school and standing them the corner of the principal's office, so that the kids could go hunting in the afternoons.

And I remember some bad things…and I am very glad that they are gone. I remember segregated schools and segregated movie theaters...and restaurants...and water fountains. I remember raw human sewage being pumped directly into the salt-water estuary only a half block from my house. I remember automobiles that could easily do a hundred miles per hour, but which had solid steel dashboards...and no seat belts.

AF

When I was about 15 I was at a school dance when I saw a bloke outside I didn't like (and VV) so anyway a fight ensued, and we were going hammer and tongs when next minute we were dragged apart by the biggest cop I'd ever seen, 'what are you doin you *&^^%$"
I said, and he promptly delivered a right hook that sent me flying back over the bonnet of a car and a left when I bounced back, as I lay in the gutter he said "are you going to piss off home now or do you want some more"
I took off, and when I got home the old man took one look at my black eye and fat lip, and demanded an explanation...after I told him he said.."well you won't do that again in a hurry"...end of story: he was right....
If that happened today in this country, the cop would be sacked , the minister would have to resign, if not the entire government, and I'd get counselling and several million dollars, and never psychologically recover......

:rofl: That's true.
In all seriousness though, that kept a lot of juvenile crime out of the courts and jail and no time was wasted on simple things.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82