Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While it's nothing to be proud of... I don't own a suit. I used to, a black polyester thing I wore on cruise dinner nights since a few years ago, then I lost a massive amount of weight (40-50 lbs). Which color would be the most versatile for me to start out with? I've pretty much ruled out black, as that does not seem to be a versatile choice. Would mid-grey be too light to start out with? I'd like to buy a modern suit, but something that nearly has a classic mid-century vibe, but not extremely narrow lapels either.

Maybe I should not have posted this here, but this is the "I don't own a" thread...

While it's nothing to be proud of... I don't own a suit. I used to, a black polyester thing I wore on cruise dinner nights since a few years ago, then I lost a massive amount of weight (40-50 lbs). Which color would be the most versatile for me to start out with? I've pretty much ruled out black, as that does not seem to be a versatile choice. Would mid-grey be too light to start out with? I'd like to buy a modern suit, but something that nearly has a classic mid-century vibe, but not extremely narrow lapels either.

Maybe I should not have posted this here, but this is the "I don't own a" thread...

I would say that a midnight or dark blue suit would probably be the most versatile choice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If just one suit I'd go with navy as you can then wear the jacket as a blazer. Add a grey suit and you can wear the trousers with the navy jacket. That's my standard travel kit; you can rotate it for a while before anybody catches on.......;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Both, eventually, would not be a bad idea at all. While navy is a nice color, and I agree with its versatility, I was thinking of some sort of grey suit to start with. Is this an example of mid or charcoal grey, by the way? This film suit has been a rather inspiring design for a while. It looks conservative enough for say, a job interview. I wouldn't mind getting a grey suit of this, or a similar color.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3863/delonmelvillesamoura.jpg

Here's another grey suit I happen to like, and it's obviously a mid grey tone, so unfortunately may be too "daring" for job interview wear, but I'm thinking whatever I buy may likely have a higher gorge than that; it's a very common feature these days. I prefer a somewhat lower gorge, myself, like in the picture.

http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/images/blogimages/2010-01-15-14-52-Peter-dr_no1_s.jpg

More on topic: I don't own very baggy fitting, hip hop style clothing, not to insult the music, some of it is quite good I think. I see lots of baggy t-shirts, long shorts, and flat bill baseball caps still. In Southern California, this is still a common look for teens and young adults. The "reverse" is also common, trim, mainly tight fitting t-shirts and jeans.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Is this an example of mid or charcoal grey, by the way?

delonmelvillesamoura.jpg

From my screen I'd vote not quite charcoal but certainly a dark enough grey for an interview.

Edward

Bartender
Definitely understand the convenience factor, but somehow I'd be worried I'd lose content between all the transferring. That is cool to know that you can get so much for free. But, I'd still prefer to see the spines of these books on my shelf looking back at me. :)

Oh, absolutely. A kindle is no replacement for the real thing. I still like music on vinyl at home too. It's a travel tool, really.

Charcoal grey is good. Navy pinstripe is also a classic, especially a DB, IMO. The latter is much more readily available in more places over here, which might make it worth considering.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Well, 70s stuff burns really well with all that acetate and other oil based synthetics. :p

I wholeheartedly agree! The only thing I own from the 70's is, well, me. I was barely alive back then & extremely glad I don't remember it. :D

Cotton or cotton/wool stockings are just fine in cold weather. Me, I own one pair of pants, worn only when doing filthy work cleaning cellars and such.

I may be the exception to the rule on this one. Being a Texan, I think I'm required to own mostly jeans. Stockings are very uncomfortable the majority of the time. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun