Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Haven't used my library card in years as I buy books pretty cheap.

And a great collection of books you have!

I go to the library quite often, even though I have a shelf full of books Ive never read! I honestly cant not resist the erge to go to the library..I love that place!

Rue Im loving the Alibris website!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
discontinued and rare books

I get those on book fairs. Most people stick with new ones, and I get 3 used books for the price of ! new. (who's smarter now?) :D
And, not to forget the beauty of used books: knowing that they had a life before they came to you..
But, if I don't want to own a book, library is my place to go.

As for the shoe-talk.. if I had to wear sneakers NOW.. I'd look ridiculous. :D

I get those on book fairs. Most people stick with new ones, and I get 3 used books for the price of ! new. (who's smarter now?) :D
And, not to forget the beauty of used books: knowing that they had a life before they came to you..
But, if I don't want to own a book, library is my place to go.

As for the shoe-talk.. if I had to wear sneakers NOW.. I'd look ridiculous. :D

What's really interesting are coming across books that belonged to famous people. Not too long ago I found in a trash can at the local flea market a book that once belonged to actor Jean Hersholt and many years ago at a used book store I came across one that was owned by one of the Wright Brothers -- unfortunately it was out of my price range.

Also many years ago at the flea market I paid a buck for a 1929 high school yearbook that was signed by Spike Jones. By the way, what kind of books do you mainly read? Let me know if you find anything that belonged to Nikola Tesla. :p;):D

Actually I would love to visit the Nikola Tesla Museum in Beograd.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By the way, what kind of books do you mainly read? Let me know if you find anything that belonged to Nikola Tesla. :p;):D

Those would be hard to find. :D
If you want to visit, you should look at this:
http://www.tesla-museum.org/meni_en/nt.php?link=kontakt/k&opc=sub10

My reading mostly consist of Terry Pratchett's work (I collect his books), old Russian realists, Kafka's diaries (got those CHEAP on a used book fair).. And art books.
(and this was WAY off topic) :)

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
What's really interesting are coming across books that belonged to famous people. Not too long ago I found in a trash can at the local flea market a book that once belonged to actor Jean Hersholt and many years ago at a used book store I came across one that was owned by one of the Wright Brothers -- unfortunately it was out of my price range.

Also many years ago at the flea market I paid a buck for a 1929 high school yearbook that was signed by Spike Jones. By the way, what kind of books do you mainly read? Let me know if you find anything that belonged to Nikola Tesla. :p;):D

Im writing an Essay on Nikola Tesla at the moment. It due in tomorrow!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A shazzabanazza. I'm in the market for one but they ain't as easy to come by as you'd think.........

:p

Justin B

One Too Many
life insurance.

Yes, that too.
For me, it's the matter of me being an egocentric. :D

Shame on both of you. I for one do as I refuse to leave a burden of debt of any sort on my family. Anything left after those are paid goes to a charity that means a lot to me.

Also remember that life insurance is better bought when you're young as it's cheaper then.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
life insurance.

Me neither. I have some sort of mortgage cover, but no life insurance. Simple matter of practicality: Any debts I leave behind will be easily cleared by my estate, and I neither have nor want a family of my own, so it will be an extremely simple matter for my brother, whom I expect to outlive me, to have everything would up and done with as he wishes. As long as my cats are taken care of, I really don't care what happens to anything else when I am gone. End of the day, it's only stuff.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As far as life insurance goes, I don't have anybody to be a beneficiary -- except my cat, and she's provided for -- so why shovel any more cash into the gaping maw of Big Insurance. When I go, auction off my stuff to pay my bills, throw me in the potter's fieldl, and forget about it.

I have life insurance, I get it through work and it's only a few dollars a month. Also have health insurance through work, too. 30 Bucks a week is tough to beat, and you're glad you paid it when you get sick.

Shame on both of you. I for one do as I refuse to leave a burdon of debt of any sort on my family. Anything left after those are paid goes to a charity that means a lot to me.

Also remember that life insurance is better bought when you're young as it's cheaper then.

If I had nobody to benefit from it, I wouldn't have it either. I just don't want my family stuck with the burden of funeral costs, etc.
As far as life insurance goes, I don't have anybody to be a beneficiary -- except my cat, and she's provided for -- so why shovel any more cash into the gaping maw of Big Insurance. When I go, auction off my stuff to pay my bills, throw me in the potter's fieldl, and forget about it.

Edward

Bartender

Exactly

I have life insurance, I get it through work and it's only a few dollars a month. Also have health insurance through work, too. 30 Bucks a week is tough to beat, and you're glad you paid it when you get sick.

I can imagine that does give a lot of peace of mind - I'm very grateful for our NHS, imperfect as it may be.

If I had nobody to benefit from it, I wouldn't have it either. I just don't want my family stuck with the burden of funeral costs, etc.

I'm fascinated by funerary culture - I wish I could have mine while I'm still here so I could get to go. Hope I can float around in the ether when it happens.... I'm considering funeral insurance purely so I can specify a nice hearse and a decent wake. ;) That's just my enjoying a good show, though - tbh, if nobody wants to acknowledge the occasion when I'm gone, that doesn't actually bother me.

The essay had to be about someone or something that had made a change in the world. I talked about Tesla's AC 2 phase and 3 phase induction motors and the harnessing of Niagara Falls. I did mention the Tesla coil also ;)

[video=youtube;ftT3JKUSygw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftT3JKUSygw[/video]

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The essay had to be about someone or something that had made a change in the world. I talked about Tesla's AC 2 phase and 3 phase induction motors and the harnessing of Niagara Falls. I did mention the Tesla coil also ;)

Excellent. It's good to see that he gets some recognition. His accomplishments are often overshadowed by others.
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe