Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

Them lol I've got video footage from my security cameras of them relieving themselves in my yard, throwing lawn chairs over my fence, trying to knock my fence down. I caught one guy trying to relieve himself in my gas tank when I had my squad car. He thought I was a county mountie.

You or them? :p

Edward

Bartender
Would firing off a few blank rounds into the air from a twelve bore be enough to scare them off repeat offences? That's why you people have the Second Amendment, right? ;)

Derek WC

Banned
What do your neighbours do, Tom and Cat?

I can sympathize with you Dahlia, the weather here is dern cold at night but also gal derned hot during the day around this time.

Last edited:
You would think. It was a convincing squad car!
CrownVic002.jpg

:eeek: I would think the cop car would scare them off.

I told him he'd better get back over next door before I end his life. He ran.
Did you slam the gas door on him? :p

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Oy! How do ya'll live without air or heat? :eek: It's suddenly well over 100 here (should be in the 80's). I'm 'fraid it'll be a HOT summer. :p

Edward

Bartender
an air conditioner.....I'm melting!
X
BD

I don't have it at home - I've resisted to date (as long as the cats can cope, and they seem to be fine) as I know it's not the best thing for the environment, but I certainly appreciate it here in the office. for my first eight years with the College, we were in offices without it. While the system's central heating is welcome for much of the year, for those few weeks in July and August when I find the heat unbearable in London (the sort of day which always makes me thing of Daisy, Tom, Jordan, Nick and Jay's ill-fated trip to NYC) I am immeasurably grateful for the office a/c.

Same here. Today the temperature dropped cosiderably from around 32° but that didn't help really. It's been - and still is - so outrageously damp that I've actually started to grow gills... :eeek:

Night's aren't any better.

It's been wet the last couple of days here. I enjoy Summer rain, TBH... freshens the air, and it reminds me of the Old Country. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think AC is a matter of adaptation -- if you don't have it, your body adapts, and you don't need it as much as you thought you did. Around here there's only a couple of weeks out of the year where it's honestly helpful, so it's very common for people not to spend the money on it, and the only places that have central AC are public buildings. It's pretty much unheard of for a Maine home to have such a thing.

Given that theatres are well-refrigerated, we do a good business during those two weeks, and I always put out a sign reading "It's COOL inside!," complete with ice on the letters and a little penguin or two along the side.

Central heating wasn't all that common, either, until the fifties or sixties. Most homes that did have furnaces before that era had manually-stoked coal burners, with no thermostat or automatic fuel system -- those were around, but they were considered an expensive luxury, not a necessity, especially by working-class people. My grandparents never got central heating-- even though they were in the fuel oil business. They heated with two kerosene stoves, one in the kitchen and one in the living room, and the house was entirely comfortable -- unless you were the one who had to get up at 5 am on a January morning to light the stoves.

Justin B

One Too Many
On the A/C subject, until I was 25 I'd never had a car with it. And the newest ride I'd owned was a '72. Now, you Northern folk probably are thinking no big deal...

At the time I was living in West Texas, 200 miles from water, 2 yards from Hades. Let me tell you, all a "dry heat" does is turn you into human jerky. It's not any cooler. 33 straight days of 100+ temps. You can light matches by touching them to the sidewalk (done it).

Then I moved to Atlanta (Hotlanta) and learned what humidity was....boy did I learn. Was driving a '70 Chevelle with black vinyl interior. Let me tell you, 45 minute to 2 hour commute each way during the summer...never again! I think it must sorta be what a lobster goes through...only they don't drop you in head first.

Now I'm back in Texas...and glad to be here. I'm in DFW (That's Dallas/Fort Worth for those not in the know), and it's a nice median between the two other extremes. So, yes...you can get used to it. As for the environmental concerns...the new style freon (R-134a) is as close to safe as anything you can get. I'd be more worried about using plastic which is far more harmful.

Now living without heat? Not gonna happen. I don't do cold.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Derek, Mario, Edward...

I certainly don't mind the air conditioning at work, let me tell you. However, at home it's just not necessary for me. Pjs in the freezer at night, ice cream, water on hand - that'll do! Ha ha.

It's common that it gets over 30 C here (over 86F) consistently in the summer, we all find ways to cope! Popsicle anyone?
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe