Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey!... Are you popular?

wow

Body Care and Grooming: I cannot find the original but this one gets the point across.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IE1YQPaAYBM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IE1YQPaAYBM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Son of Atropos, Hm. I'll assume you're being serious and not fresh ;)
The part about the clip being swell: I love learning more about the 40s and 50s, the video was authentic and gave a glimpse of those times, and the clothes were divine.

I don't have anything against people who are promiscuous (actually I admire them!). However, if you want to be taken seriously maybe you shoudn't hit on everything that moves, since the people you hit on will talk amongst themselves. And yes, this goes for both gals and guys *gasp*

I'm a flirt and I enjoy other people who, like me, aren't all about self-control and hiding their feelings so well they can't even find them themselves. I don't think one should be punished (excluded from social activities like eating together in the cafeteria) because you have feeliings. To feel is to live. The "bad girl" obviously has needs and feelings, and maybe she can't always control them, which is why she "parks". It's easy not to park if you lack a libido and a personality, like the popular girl does. Sometimes men (both in the clip and in reality) are attracted to women like the popular girl. This often indicates that the men either are bores or insecure.

carter

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
Son of Atropos ... It's easy not to park if you lack a libido and a personality, like the popular girl does. Sometimes men (both in the clip and in reality) are attracted to women like the popular girl. This often indicates that the men either are bores or insecure.
Interesting.
I saw nothing in that clip that would lead me to believe that the popular girl lacked either a libido or a personality. What I saw was a composed young woman who was friendly, helpful, polite, and poised. These are admirable qualities in any person.
As far as men who like women with these qualities, I doubt that they are either bores or insecure. It takes someone with a certain level of confidence and the ability to connect with another person to date a girl like the one in the clip.
A man who is a bore and insecure would be far more liikely to go for the girl who likes to park with anyone and is considered "easy". Neither the man who is a bore nor the girl who is "easy" would be the person you'd want to bring home to meet Mom & Dad.

cherry lips said:
Son of Atropos, Hm. I'll assume you're being serious and not fresh ;)
The part about the clip being swell: I love learning more about the 40s and 50s, the video was authentic and gave a glimpse of those times, and the clothes were divine.

I don't have anything against people who are promiscuous (actually I admire them!). However, if you want to be taken seriously maybe you shoudn't hit on everything that moves, since the people you hit on will talk amongst themselves. And yes, this goes for both gals and guys *gasp*

I'm a flirt and I enjoy other people who, like me, aren't all about self-control and hiding their feeling so well they can't even find them themselves. I don't think one should be punished (excluded from social activities like eating together in the cafeteria) because you have feeliings. To feel is to live. The "bad girl" obviously has needs and feelings, and maybe she can't always control them, which is why she "parks". It's easy not to park if you lack a libido and a personality, like the popular girl does. Sometimes men (both in the clip and in reality) are attracted to women like the popular girl. This often indicates that the men either are bores or insecure.

I appreciate your honesty. Especially, voicing such a new age point of view in this community. However, what do you mean by "finding themselves"? Also, what do you mean by "to feel is to live."

Could the men that pursue the popular girl like the chase?

Perhaps this conversation should continue via pm? I don't want you to bear the slings and arrows that I may have inadvertently directed against you because of my question.

Foofoogal

Banned
The lines have definitely blurred along these lines but they still hold true.

Most moms and dads do not want their daughter or son to be promiscuous. (since the word has been used)
I find this thread and the one about vintage clothing very similar really.
Self control is a virtue and lack of self control can be seen every night on TV recently. Self control in every area of life is crucial to staying alive.
Many pitfalls and dangers can come to those who are free in their eyes. Not only to them but those who love them.
This topic has been done to death here but it is even more vivid due to recent events.
I am living results (as we all) are or many anyway with results of others lack of self control.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No matter how sensible a dramatized instruction video may be, it tends to end up being hokey because it's low-budget and the format is, well, dated. Imagine "What not to Wear" done in this format:

Janet is buying the black dress in a simple style--now that's smart. She'll wear it a lot. But her friend Mary is already tired of the red and orange argyle print kimono she bought on sale last month. It's not a bargain if you don't wear it!​

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Actually I find the guys to be really rude.. You cannot "park" a girl at Lover's Lane and then dump her in the trash:rage: If they find her bad or unpopular or wahtever, they should mind their own business and not go round "parking" that girl.[huh]

By they way I just learned the term parking and most definitely will incorporate it in my future conversations:D

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^you'll be one of the few who knows it.

I use "Parking" and "going steady" in dating conversations often, I have to explain[huh]

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
The unpopular girl who parks with all the guys (and says Yoohoo!) made me think of Rizzo; the lyrics in the song say it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGUfn930F0Y

Foofoogal, I don't know which events you're referring to, but they sound serious. When I said self-control, I was talking about taming your lust for life and hiding your true feelings. This is something I'm not so good at, I'm more of a Fujiyama Mama type of gal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVs3iwkAP0k
As for teenagers, when I was a teenager I read books instead of dating boys! Not the choice I'd make today hehe.

Son_of_Atropos said:
I appreciate your honesty. Especially, voicing such a new age point of view in this community. However, what do you mean by "finding themselves"? Also, what do you mean by "to feel is to live."
Could the men that pursue the popular girl like the chase?

Haha, I don't consider my views new age. They're rather personal. My english is somewhat rusty: I didn't say "finding themselves", what I meant was that some people put a lid on their emotions and then it gets stuck, you can't just choose the positive/proper feelings, it's either the whole spectra or naught. To feel is to live - that's just something I've thought about lately. I feel truly alive when passionate feelings race through my veins, without them I'm as good as dead.
Also, I'm tired of clichés such as "men enjoy the chase". What if I like to chase?
These are my attempts at explaining my interpretations of life right now. I enjoyed hearing your ideas, as well as carter's, there's so much I want to understand about other people!

tuppence

Practically Family
woman vs men

I just find it interesting that woman were the first people to say negative things about Jenny, (in this thread not the video), The gentlemen chose to ignore Jenny all together or support her.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Nice guys!:rolleyes:

Everyone at the table "parked" with her and no one wants her to sit down.:p

Does any of those cads care to find out why Jenny does what she does instead of just dismissing her and throwing her on the scrap heap? "You can put your tray down for a moment"?!?! ...Now get going before I spit on you...

*"Over here Jenny, here's an empty seat"*:D

If Jenny had enough self respect, she'd stop associating with people who wouldn't acknowledge her. But all the Jennys I've known would attach themselves to anyone who gave them any attention at all. I've seen them put up with more than a snub to avoid being alone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Paisley said:
If Jenny had enough self respect, she'd stop associating with people who wouldn't acknowledge her. But all the Jennys I've known would attach themselves to anyone who gave them any attention at all. I've seen them put up with more than a snub to avoid being alone.

And it also goes without saying that the kind of guys who park with the kind of girls who park never seemed to be all that interested in someone they could "respect." Maybe it's changed since then, but I kind of doubt it.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I not going to defend/condemn Jenny. [huh]

I like what Cherry Lips had to say. Life is to be lived, as you see fit. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap If I cannot, there is no sense in being alive. :p

I live by my own standards, I do not expect anyone to live by my standards.:)

Huxley said it quite nicely:
A life-worshipper's philosophy is comprehensive. He is at one moment a positivist and at another a mystic: now haunted by the thought of death and now a Dionysian child of nature; now a pessimist and now, with a change of lover or liver or even the weather, an exuberant believer that God's in his heaven and all's right with the world.
-- Aldous Huxley
1894-1963, British Author

rumblefish

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Right...
But, you can't just tell some one to get "enough self respect". Wouldn't it be nice if some one cared enough for Jenny to help with her lack of it, or should they all get what they can from her then fault her for it.
Loneliness can be very powerful.

tuppence

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
Right...
But, you can't just tell some one to get "enough self respect". Wouldn't it be nice if some one cared enough for Jenny to help with her lack of it, or should they all get what they can from her then fault her for it.

I guess some people just find it easier to laugh.

Foofoogal

Banned
I personally think the OP posted this to show how quaint it was or funny. It then moved to how nothing has really changed. That is my only point.

Wouldn't it be nice if some one cared enough for Jenny to help with her lack of it, or should they all get what they can from her then fault her for it.

I do understand this and I have many times stood up for the Jennys of this world against much cost to my own person.
I have 8 brothers and have again been around many boys and men in my life. Not all are cads and want to or need to take from Jennys. Some do though.
This conversation could take many avenues as well.
One avenue is the point that Jenny and those that love Jennys always lose something along the way.
I could also see many more Jennys (men and women) either being made now due to pressure of events or the restraint of this type of behavior as too costly now. (as in risk of losing a home by being a Jenny) It will be interesting to see. I wonder during the depression if there was a looseness or opposite. Does anyone know?

Foofoogal

Banned
I like what Cherry Lips had to say. Life is to be lived, as you see fit. If I cannot, there is no sense in being alive.

I find this strange really. Why possibly would not being a Jenny mean you do not live a full passionate life?

As the FL is a large place with many people it would be interesting to know how many would like to be Jennys but understand the risks or cost and how many have been and found out the cost the hard way.
Is that boldness Carlisle or not understanding the consequences or thinking there is none? Could also be just fact that the circle of friends are likeminded that do not see the big deal. maybe Jenny in the movie just needed to be born now but I think it is still the same many, many places. Just a fact, not a judgement.

Shut all my stores down so have lots of time before I move again. Then I will be gone for awhile. Cannot do both business and life. I am tired so may not be even making sense.

In fairness to the guys, someone who cared about Jenny might have felt hurt when he found out he wasn't the only one.
yes, seen many guys and gals crushed like this. one of the risks I am speaking of. Then someone who gets involved later on with crushed person has to pay the price of the person never trusting and such while Jenny is free to live her standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe