Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

jkingrph

Practically Family
I went back and opened up the box my Art Fawcett hat is stored in for the summer. It's in a light blue-grey felt and was made like the hat Jeff Bridges wore in the movie "Seabiscuit". Except for the color the new Campdraft is a dead ringer for that hat.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Howdy neighbor! I'm in Jacksonville. Moved down here about 10 years ago from Newport, NC. I used to work at Cherry Point back then. I work at Camp Lejeune now.

We are in the same neck of the woods! And I once lived in Jacksonville, myself. I taught at the Community College there. We used to refer to Coastal Carolina as "Harvard on the Highway".:)

AF

Gromulus

Practically Family
No one else has gotten their new Camp Draft?

AF

Received mine the other day. Did a direct side-by-side comparison with my Silverbelly Imperial CD (as well as my fawn and BG models). I may have the dissenting opinion here but I really don't feel the Heritage Quality is worth the extra $ compared to the standard (Imperial) quality - at current prices. The only noticeable difference is the wider, nicer sweatband. Felt quality is near identical to my eyes and touch. Colors are near identical and even my wife and girls could not tell one from the other (aside from one being bashed vs. the other having an open crown). I like the hat and will put a different bash/crease in it but really don't feel it is worth the extra $. Perhaps it will wear better as it ages in comparison to the Imperial but only time will tell.

I also own two Banjo Paterson models in Heritage quality but they were less expensive than the CD.

I have a brown Fed IV in standard quality and will probably get a Moonstone Fed this fall. The differences (or relatively lack of) exhibited with this CD and the much higher cost has convinced me to get the next Fed IV in standard quality.

Your mileage may vary.

BTW, I get more compliments on my Silverbelly CD than any of my other hats and Hats Direct's (The Hattery) service is second to none in my experience.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived today. I have called my friend to get his Imperial CD here to compare side-by-side. First impression, this is a nice lid! The felt seems more substantial than the other Imperials I have. I pounced every new CD that I received but don't expect to do this one. So this one is a more dense & better finished hat than my Imperial grade.
I love the sweatband, really like the Campdraft Deluxe imprinting. Like that they combined Campdraft instead of separate Camp Draft like in the Imperial grades.
Out of the box & open crown, it slid down to my ear tops as expected, more easily when I snapped the brim down all around. The ribbon & binding appear to be spot on.
The value of the US dollar has more to do with the cost of this version over my others. I bought all mine when the exchange rate was heavily in my favor. Dollar cost averaging, I only have/had $72 per Imperial CD including shipping. If I am comparing this to the HatCo modern Stetson Stratoliner at retail price, the Heritage Campdraft Deluxe is the winner.
Stay tuned...

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Gromulus, the deafening silence in this thread since yesterday has me worried that you may have just published the majority opinion.

AF

It may also be customs issues. I live near Toronto, and when I order from Hats Direct, it usually takes two weeks in total, though that may be more of a function of the lousy Canadian postal service, than customs.

Similar issues may occur in the US, depending on where you live.

Cheers,

Harry.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Like that they combined Campdraft instead of separate Camp Draft like in the Imperial grades.

You know Tom, I didn't notice this until you pointed it out. Interesting, especially since Loungers have used both spellings interchangeably!

I am tempted to bring one of our lab's gram balances home and weigh both hats to see if there is a significant weight difference.

You know Tom, I didn't notice this until you pointed it out. Interesting, especially since Loungers have used both spellings interchangeably!

I am tempted to bring one of our lab's gram balances home and weigh both hats to see if there is a significant weight difference.

I know we went over this a few years ago but it is called "campdrafting". I've only seen it separated on my hats' sweatbands!
I couldn't compare by weighing my Imperial CD's since I know I pounced a good bit of felt off the Mid-Brown & Glen Grey ones I still have! Not fair at all....

frussell

One Too Many
I got mine today, still on the fence whether I'm wild about it or not. First of all, this is nowhere near Silverbelly, not even Akubra's version of Silverbelly. Mine is a light fawn color. It definitely feels heavier than my Imperial Campdrafts have been, as others have noted. May just be me, but mine feels stiffer than the other Campdrafts I've had. Nice hat overall, better sweat than on my Imperials. Compared to my recently sold Biltmore Open Door, this hat has a better sweatband, but the Open Door has the felt beat for suppleness and pouncing (and price, I paid somewhere around $223.50 U.S. for this thing). I'll probably keep it, but not for sure. I wasn't looking for a fawn-colored Campdraft. I had one before and sold it. Here's some photos for comparison. Frank
side view unbashed:
P6150291.jpg

Resistol Silverbelly Western, new CD, Art Fawcett Silverbelly:
P6150281.jpg

Stetson Ranch Tan, new CD, Art Silverbelly:
P6150282.jpg

Some folks are likening their new CDs to Ranch Tan. Here's a side by side of Stetson's Ranch tan and the new CD:
P6150285.jpg

Closeup Ranch Tan/Heritage "Silverbelly" Campdraft:
P6150288.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
I pounced every new CD that I received but don't expect to do this one. So this one is a more dense & better finished hat than my Imperial grade.

gtdean, how do you pounce your CD's? I tried pouncing Akubra LT by sanding using #250, in direction of the grain, 10 or so smooth strokes. This did take some felt off of it, but I couldn't tell the difference before/after. What's your method?

gtdean, how do you pounce your CD's? I tried pouncing Akubra LT by sanding using #250, in direction of the grain, 10 or so smooth strokes. This did take some felt off of it, but I couldn't tell the difference before/after. What's your method?

I bought a package of sanding "sponges" from Ace Hardware, 3 gauges = Medium, Fine, Ultra Fine.
I use the Medium for finishing brim trims.
I pounce the CD's first with the Fine then the Ultra Fine.
Initially, I go against the grain, counter to how I brush them, then with the grain with the Ultra Fine.
I get a good bit of the fuzz off the CD's. I have to do it outside or over the utility sink.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
No offense, Frank, but I sure hope mine is closer to Silver Belly than yours. That doesn't look much like Silver Belly to me. Looks more like a light Fawn. Actually that's about the color I was expecting my Fawn CD to be, but it's darker than that.

As for those who say they don't see much difference between the Imperial and Heritage felts... you're not alone. I bought 3 Fed IV's in Heritage grade, and can't tell a difference between them and the Imperial grade Akubra's I have. The sweat band is a little wider and thinner, but that's about it. Don't get me wrong - I love the hats. I wouldn't trade any of my Akubras for anything. I think they are a great value - even at the current exchange rate. But I will stay with the Imperial grade from now on, and save a few bucks.

So far, this hat has taken 3 days longer than my previous purchase to get here. And I'm still waiting....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe