Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Love the hat & shirt Rick, they compliment each other, perfectly.
My Cordwainer, Colin Johnson, has been nagging me for a text depicting the grey shoes that he made for me. Colin does bespoke shoes but I have only ever known him make any of those in his catalogue. When I asked if he could make a pair in grey & white he looked apprehensive.

He need not have worried, the pair that he made for me has garnered many a compliment.
maroon & grey4 003.JPG
The shirt is, of course, one that Tina made, she made the trousers too. The hat is one of Gamble & Gunn's bespoke specials.

My Cordwainer, Colin Johnson, has been nagging me for a text depicting the grey shoes that he made for me. Colin does bespoke shoes but I have only ever known him make any of those in his catalogue. When I asked if he could make a pair in grey & white he looked apprehensive.

He need not have worried, the pair that he made for me has garnered many a compliment.
View attachment 632291
The shirt is, of course, one that Tina made, she made the trousers too. The hat is one of Gamble & Gunn's bespoke specials.
Perfect in every way, Robert!

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars

View attachment 632291
Stylin'

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Your outfits - and Ms. Tina's skills - are always unmatched, Robert. Well done!

View attachment 630519 View attachment 630518 View attachment 630517 View attachment 630521 View attachment 630520

When Tina came across this fabric she told me that she knew it would make an unusual Aloha shirt. A paisley patterned Hawaiian shirt, now that's different.

She said that in her oddments of fabric she had just the yellow material to compliment the paisley. My face must have given my thoughts away. "Don't worry," she laughed, "it's not, in your face, banana yellow."

How right she was. The green and cream spectators go well but I must get a couple of new straw hats. The bespoke felt in dark green looks okay, but a cream coloured straw with a green hatband would be better.

View attachment 632291

GHT

I'll Lock Up

RickP

Practically Family
I actually got a SECOND Paradise Found in today ( First came USPS this morning, and then the nice UPS guy showed up later!) I had 6 or 7 old ones years back but then I lost 50 lbs.... 3x was just too big to wear, Found a nice large gentleman that appreciated them and made him a deal a few years back. I tried "OFF" brands for a while but they never seemed to last more than a year or so. Im in process of finding smaller sizes of everything I used to have. Two more are off the list today. Going back with the old original Magnum patterns... all florals. Nice and classy without being too loud. Perfect match for one of the older Open Roads. Celebrating with a couple fingers (or 3 or 4) of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum .

Compress_20240830_160519_9047.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
rick.jpg
Got yourself an enviable Aloha shirt there Rick.
Really striking, I love it.

Knowing how much I like the big leaf pattern, and how the maroon shirt above, quickly became one of my favourites, Tina produced something similar in black and green.
The proprietress of the shop, where she buys much of her fabric, texted her with a picture of the fabric.
The pattern is very similar, but the colour variation couldn't be more different.
shirts and co 004.JPG
The fabric arrived, it became a shirt within 48 hours, presented to me with: "here, try this on."

Green hat & shirt 001.JPG

Oh wow, do I love it, or what? Tina just smiled and said, "I thought you would."
She has always been fond of the shoes in green and cream that I have had
for some time.
Green hat, pants and shirt 004.JPG

She has since made green trousers for me and Gamble & Gunn
came up with a wonderful bottle green hat to top it all off.

Last edited:

shopkin

Familiar Face
Very nice, but who made the shirt? I've noticed you wearing coconut buttons before.

Last edited:

RickP

Practically Family
Very nice, but who made the shirt? I've noticed you wearing coconut buttons before.
My money is that its a Paradise Found brand. They always have bamboo buttons and do a nice job of making sure the pattern on the pocket matches the background nicely ( have to look twice to see that theres actually a pocket.

Not cheap but very well made shirts

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Okay, the Akubra Range doesn’t strictly qualify as a fedora. As for the shirt, I’ve been looking at Hawaiian shirts for a while now, but haven’t come across anything that really appeals here in Japan. What I did hit upon was Kariyushi shirts. This is Okinawa’s version of a Hawaiian shirt. Similar style, but with traditional (or modern) Okinawan patterns. So forgive me as I post not quite a fedora and not quite a Hawaiian shirt in the Hawaiian shirts and Fedoras thread.
IMG_2782.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the making of an Aloha shirt a paper pattern is laid over the fabric acting like a template. The fabric has something known as a grain. It's important that the panels are not cut against the grain or the finished garment will have, what looks like, twisted wrinkles.
003.JPG 004.JPG

The front of the shirt requires a stiffener inserted into the shirt from the lapel to the hem. This will give it strength for the buttonholes, buttons and the fastening and releasing of them both. The stiffener will keep the button area in good shape for the shirt's life.
005.JPG

Now the shirt is coming together, seen her without a lower hem.

A good shirt has the pattern line up, it means a little more fabric waste, but it looks so
much more professional. The next photo shows how the breast pocket "disappears."
blue aloha shirt 004.JPG
blue shirt 001.JPG
blue aloha shirt cream trousers 002.JPG

The lady made the trousers too, but that's for another time.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley aloha shirt 002.JPG

There aren’t many patterns as iconic as the paisley pattern. But contrary to its name, the history of the paisley pattern doesn’t begin in Paisley, Scotland, in fact, far from it.

Called “boteh” or “buta”, meaning “flower bud” or “spray of leaves” in Persian, the teardrop-shaped motif used in the paisley pattern has a history stretching as far back as 2,000 BC. So says The Glasgow Guardian. So now you know.

Similarly, the fedora hat does not get it's name from the South Dakota town.
The town of Fedora originated in 1881. Fedora was originally called Miner Center, until the name was changed in 1896 due to the fact that there were several towns called Miner or Miner Center in South Dakota. According to tradition, Fedora was so named on account of the fedora hats sold by a pioneer merchant.

The fedora was first introduced in the 1890s by a French hat maker named Victorien Sardou. It was named after the title character in Sardou's play, "Fedora." What a mind of useless information, time for bed I reckon.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shirts and co 022.JPG Bird of Paradise shirt 005.JPG Floral shirt 003.JPG
This various colours of this floral fabric allows for a choice of hats, trousers and shoes. Today's black Susquehana and Colin Johnson's patent leather shoes, both compliment the shirt and trousers that Tina made. I have taken a few weeks off work to look after my lady following her recent surgery, but today, I was asked if I could call in. They needed some details regarding employee insurance. How they loved the shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42