Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

RickP

Practically Family
Many "hawaiian" and "Tropical" shirts are a hot mess from one side to the other. Give me a shirt where the patterns like up anyday!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Many "hawaiian" and "Tropical" shirts are a hot mess from one side to the other. Give me a shirt where the patterns like up anyday!
Thank you for your kind remarks Rick, I have passed them on to the lady. Perhaps hot mess is a tad strong but you do have a valid point. Aloha shirts are, so I read, worn on Friday, so called: "Aloha Friday," a now-common tradition of celebrating the end of the workweek by wearing more casual attire on Fridays.

aloha 100.jpg

Given the price asked by some vendors, you would expect the pattern to look the same on the front as it does on the back.

shopkin

Familiar Face
Aloha shirts are, so I read, worn on Friday, so called: "Aloha Friday," a now-common tradition of celebrating the end of the workweek by wearing more casual attire on Fridays.

View attachment 628969

The politicians like that idea so much that they passed a resolution to that effect in 1946. These days you don't see a lot of business suits any time

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The politicians like that idea so much that they passed a resolution to that effect in 1946. These days you don't see a lot of business suits any time
I had no idea that was so. Being a retired manager I would argue that the dark, conservative business suit, worn with a clean white shirt and the company tie, as well as a polished pair of black brogues to complete the appearance, has that "uniform" status that screams, manager. It certainly gave kudos to the rank.

Are you responsible, in a managerial sense? Let me pass a useful tip onto you. It helps if you wear glasses, horn rimmed specs are recommended. When some recalcitrant is standing before you, spouting a load of bilge as to why they did what they did, or maybe it was a case of not doing, let them spout on until they dry up.

Say nothing, but a practised stare, make that a glare, over the rim of said specs, will have your victim squirming. I know because more than once I overheard: "I ****ing hate it when he looks at me over his glasses." My stare was once likened to paint stripper. "That bloody stare of his could strip the paint of the office wall!"

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Green shirt 003.JPG

One of the many benefits that I get from Tina's sewing skills is the off-cuts. This floral pattern, was a summer dress that Tina had made for a special lady. There wasn't enough left over for a complete shirt, but there was ample plain green fabric. Tina was able to put the two together, and what a shirt!
The hat, by the way, is actually bottle green.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Today's temperature of 88.5 is hotter than Honolulu's 84. My shirt and trousers garnered many a compliment. Actually, that's the shirt and trousers that Tina made for me garnered the compliments.
new trousers gamboa hat 004.JPG

The Panama straw has kept the hot sun off my thinning hair. The shirt has been so admired, the lady does me proud. The shoes have been photographed so often, they are probably all over Facebook by now.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
maroon baggies 005.JPG

The battered old Biltmore straw will have to suffice in keeping the sun off my head in today's expected 83F heat. My lady treated me to a magnificent maroon felt fedora to go with the shirt and trousers that she made for me, but felt hats in this heat are just too much. Cooler weather is forecast for the weekend. I do hope so, maybe we can actually get some sleep at night.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley aloha shirt 003.JPG
Paisley aloha shirt 002.JPG
Paisley aloha shirt 001.JPG
Paisley aloha shirt 002.JPG
Paisley aloha shirt 001.JPG

When Tina came across this fabric she told me that she knew it would make an unusual Aloha shirt. A paisley patterned Hawaiian shirt, now that's different.

She said that in her oddments of fabric she had just the yellow material to compliment the paisley. My face must have given my thoughts away. "Don't worry," she laughed, "it's not, in your face, banana yellow."

How right she was. The green and cream spectators go well but I must get a couple of new straw hats. The bespoke felt in dark green looks okay, but a cream coloured straw with a green hatband would be better.

Trader Al

New in Town
View attachment 630519 View attachment 630518 View attachment 630517 View attachment 630521 View attachment 630520

When Tina came across this fabric she told me that she knew it would make an unusual Aloha shirt. A paisley patterned Hawaiian shirt, now that's different.

She said that in her oddments of fabric she had just the yellow material to compliment the paisley. My face must have given my thoughts away. "Don't worry," she laughed, "it's not, in your face, banana yellow."

How right she was. The green and cream spectators go well but I must get a couple of new straw hats. The bespoke felt in dark green looks okay, but a cream coloured straw with a green hatband would be better.
Looks great

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Various hats & shirts 004.JPG
Various hats & shirts 005.JPG

This shirt is probably the most controversial in my collection.
Teamed up with the khaki trousers you might think it perfect
at re-enactment events. That's the last place I would wear it
after the sh*t storm that it caused among those for whom
re-enactment is a very serious affair.

Shirt-camo 001.JPG

The camouflage is actually silhouettes of pin-up girls. Let me show you a close up.

shirt, shoes, hat all green 007.JPG

Shock horror, do you need to have a lay down in a darkened room?

The hat and shoes are both bespoke, they give the shirt and trousers that Tina made, perfect accompaniment.

Green hat, pants and shirt 008.JPG Green & cream spectators 004.JPG
I have just realised that the shoes in the photo are "Oxfords" these, of course, are Spectators. I do find Loungers forgiving over small matters.

RickP

Practically Family
That is, as it should be. A skilled artisan took time and patience to achieve that, and isn't the finished result so worth while?
The funny part is that Ive had this shirt for at least 10 yrs, and today was the first time Ive actually noticed that the front and back are identical lol

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shirts and co 010.JPG

Rick's obseration: "not only do all the patterns from left and right side line up... so does the front and back," had Tina smiling. Tina makes all my shirts so that the pattern lines up.

Today's shirt depicts the golden age of travel, back when such travel was the preserve of the privileged few.

A careful study down the centre will eventually reveal the buttons. Now find the breast pocket.
Lorraine & Tina 001.JPG Lorraine & Tina 002.JPG

One of my few remaining straw fedora's that has kept it's shape. It's such a resilient hat for shape retention.

More shirts 001.JPG

The baggies are, as the smartly dressed manager, at the supermarket where I had been sent to buy one or two provisions, "de rigueur." Adding, that he would have put money on my choice. "Dear oh dear,"

The maroon shoes I changed, I have a more complimentary pair to wear with today's hat and shirt.
Shoes & leather with yellow shirt 012.JPG

That's today's Aloha shirt & fedora choice.

StoryPNW

One Too Many
View attachment 630932
Rick's obseration: "not only do all the patterns from left and right side line up... so does the front and back," had Tina smiling. Tina makes all my shirts so that the pattern lines up.

Today's shirt depicts the golden age of travel, back when such travel was the preserve of the privileged few.

A careful study down the centre will eventually reveal the buttons. Now find the breast pocket.
View attachment 630941 View attachment 630942

One of my few remaining straw fedora's that has kept it's shape. It's such a resilient hat for shape retention.

View attachment 630943
The baggies are, as the smartly dressed manager, at the supermarket where I had been sent to buy one or two provisions, "de rigueur." Adding, that he would have put money on my choice. "Dear oh dear,"

The maroon shoes I changed, I have a more complimentary pair to wear with today's hat and shirt.
View attachment 630946
That's today's Aloha shirt & fedora choice.
Today's outfit is definitely a winner

GHT

I'll Lock Up
aloha 68.jpg

Although I wore a collar and tie to church earlier, there's still a tenuous link to Hawaiian shirts.
Previously comments were made about the pattern lining up. That can produce sizeable off-cuts
when the pattern is a complex print like the the one on the above shirt. Not to waste such off-cuts Tina gets creative. She made the bow-tie from an off-cut of the above shirt.
Hats 036.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads