Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever broken dress code at work?

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
I've read that in some companies you have to be careful to not dress better than the clients. Especially in the financial industry...

Some people in our industry dress like complete slobs. I dread the summer. For three months plus, most men will wear ill-fitting polo shirts and khakis that hang below their bellies. Ugh! All of this is made worse by the Oakley glasses!

I usually wear long-sleeve linen shirts throughtout the summer with lightweight wool or linen pants. My chief accessories are a coconut or panama hat with a pair of vintage Ray Bans. On cooler days, I'll add a sportcoat and tie.

decodoll

Practically Family
Personally, I think stockingless legs are just too casual for work. No matter how lovely and well cared for your legs happen to be. I have never broken the dress code. We do supposedly have one, although the doctors won't back me up to enforce it. I am so dang tired of seeing bum hanging out the back of low-rise jeans!!! The worst offender is one of the doctors, and there is obviously nothing I can do about that!!!! She bent over during CPR recertification the other day and exposed a good inch of you know what! And don't get me started on the receptionist's favourite tank top...paired with low rise jeans, of course....:rolleyes:

magneto

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I
::respectfully SNIPPED::
there are no computers in the proofreading department. All our work is done with paper and red pen!:)
Brad

Darn, I know where I want to work next! :)

I used to work in IT, where for both sexes, freshly laundered jeans render one overdressed and hiking boots are de rigeur (in case a mountain suddenly sprouts up in the middle of the server room, I guess). I wore trousers for the few months (as I was riding a bicycle several miles to work) then once I got a car, I started "seeping" back into skirts. I credit that job with doing wonders for my gracefulness and agility, such as they are. Try crawling under desks to sling some CAT-5 cable without showing everyone the color of your stocking welts :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Tin Pan Sally said:
I got in trouble for dress code violation at work yesterday. I was wearing a fairly long black lace skirt with panel under, black lace cami top with black lace bra under, celtic black sandals that had a vintage look. My boss came up to my desk to tell me the outfit was too risque and I needed to cover up. Luckily I had my cashmere sweater with rhinestone buttons handy. I feel like such a wild one now ;)
I was a little insulted as I've never had a man tell me to put my clothes back on before.
Hmm this is a difficult topic. Post a picture of the outfit and then I can give an honest opinion.

JustJen

Familiar Face
Oh yes, I've broken our "business casual" dress code loads of times. But, I'm a HQ employee physically located in a regional office. And, my boss is in Atlanta. The regional folks sit on the second floor and they seldom come down nor do we venture upstairs too often. My typical violation is jeans on a day other than Friday, which is the one day we're allowed to wear them. But I will say that any of the jeans I've ever worn have always been very well tailored and the other pieces of clothing or shoes are also tastefully chosen.

We do have one other woman who works in another department who consistently wears some of the trashiest clothes I've ever seen. HR doesn't seem to put a stop to it but none of us in the building are customer facing. So really, it's not bothering anyone else. We always say we're going to turn her in to "What Not To Wear"......except I think it would be taken badly if you were turned in by people who don't know or like you...LOL.

As for pantyhose....I can't believe those are still sold in stores. I can't imagine wearing those binding things. I do have some vintage stockings but those are reserved for very special occasions considering the price I had to pay for them. And they're not the most comfortable since they're straight nylon.

Most of the time when I wear my dresses and such, I do it bare legged. I take care of my legs and I usually have a tan (I"m of Hispanic descent) most of the year.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
seriously, stockings are not that bad...depending on the job of course, I can't see bare legged in a dress or skirt professional. Off of work, and it's a sunny day, knock yourself out with your bare legs. It all falls down to what your boss expects of you, and they tell you on the first interview so there shouldn't be any suprises

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One woman I work with dresses more unprofessionally than anyone I've ever seen. She wears Mexican sundresses, swimsuit coverups, jumpers, decorated sweatshirts, and one "dress" that made me do a double take because at first glance, it looked like a beach towel. Why can't some people just put on a pair of tan slacks and a simple blouse?

It wouldn't be so bad if she were more of a help to us. (I will withhold examples for fear of losing my credibility.)

This bothered me until I realized that somebody has to do the shmutzy work around the office, and it's her and a coworker who wears tight pants and miniskirts. I try to have a more professional demeanor at work: I wear a blazer or upscale sweater, panty hose, full cut slacks, knee length skirts; I don't talk about the hottie I met at the dance.

Even though we're all the same rank, as it were, I'm not asked to clean out offices, look for files, plan parties, or pick up groceries. They are.

decodoll

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
But why do you think so?

I suppose for the same reason I think shorts, tank tops and flip flops are. Some looks belong in the office and some out in the park on a summer day. I guess we just have different opinions of what constitutes a professional look and what doesn't. If well groomed is your only factor for being able have a body part uncovered at work does that apply to other body parts as well? ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
JustJen, reading my post, it came out sounding very rude, so I apologize. There are many different kinds of stockings out there on the market that are more comfortable and also they make ones that are sheer so that your legs can 'breathe'.
In the summer time I'll wear the sheer kind because it has a much lighter feel to them.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I've worked in places where a shirt and tie were mandatory. If you don't show up in one you're sent home.:eusa_clap One day a guy came to work in a V neck sweater and the boss sent him home. He told the boss; "But, Dave the owner is wearing one" (Dave also was 70 and had a pony tail) But the boss told him; "Dave signs all of our checks personally, no stamps with him"
When someone dresses sloppily it is disrespectful for;
1. The product you sell.
2. The company you work.
3. The customer you serve.

I've managed an office where company policy allowed polo shirts on Friday. I hate the concept of casual Friday's. I never took part in any casual Friday notion.:D

Tin Pan Sally

Marc Chevalier said:
In other words, you use common sense to decide whether or not you'll wear stockings on a given day. What you say is true: the wearing of stockings is determined by more "common sense" factors than just the weather.
Yes. Weather can be a factor to determine what weight of leg wear I go with.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seems you think women wear stockings to hide something. Hosiery won't cover up anything, unless opaque tights. Even then a lady still must shave, wax, or have laser hair removal (depending if she is a peach fuzzer or not). I enjoy wearing stockings, especially the thigh high ones that stay up by them selves. There is something so modest, sophisticated, and FEMALE about hose. Stockings draw attention to my legs, so I can show them off. Plus, some shoes and outfits don't fit or lay right without. It gives a more polished, professional look.
By the way, I was bare legged with the outfit that got me busted at my job. For work I like the sheer weave to flaunt my fair "strawberries &cream" complexion. For fun when not working I like back seams, lace, fishnets, and so forth.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm definitely not a fan of the bare-leg fad when it comes to professional situations. Maybe it's just a generational thing -- I'm fortysomething -- but to me, bare legs say "headin' for the beach/loafin' around the house/can't be bothered to get fully dressed," and it just doesn't look right -- sort of like a guy showing up for a business meeting in a nice suit and a crisp shirt with the collar open and t-shirt showing. "What's the matter, you didn't have time to finish putting your clothes on this morning?" Personally, if I'm going to be in any kind of a meeting-the-public situation I wear hose and businesslike shoes. I haven't owned a pair of (eeek!) flip-flops since I was five years old, and I didn't much like 'em then.

Of course, there's other considerations up here where I live -- we only have three months or so out of the year where bare legs are even practical for casual situations -- and the lack of sunlight means an awful lot of fish-belly-white skin. That's not a flattering look on anyone. Except a mackerel, maybe.

Lizzie From Maine

matei

One Too Many
I work for a very large bank (I'm in IT - not a banker myself) and shirt/tie is de rigeur. I wear a suit every day, and on "casual Fridays" (which aren't every Friday but perhaps once a month) I usually wear a sportsjacket and tie. Seldom will I wear jeans.

I used to work for other companies where the dress code was much more relaxed. Whenever I would wear a suit, management would get worried that I was out on interviews.

The last place I worked for there was a character who would wear pinkish stretch jeans, a bandana tied around one leg and an oversized jumper (sweater), a l?° that '80s girls fashion. He'd top this off with a Mozart-esque hairdo.

But that is nothing compared to what some people would try to get away with when I worked in the US. Sweatpants (ick) were common, and I swear one woman was wearing her pyjamas.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
matei said:
The last place I worked for there was a character who would wear pinkish stretch jeans, a bandana tied around one leg and an oversized jumper (sweater), a l?° that '80s girls fashion. He'd top this off with a Mozart-esque hairdo.

Yep, you work in IT alright! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld