Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever broken dress code at work?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I bet your office is a lovely environment! Who is the gal that always wears blouses that are too low cut or too tight? You know there is one!! :)

fortworthgal said:
Nope, I haven't! I work in an office environment and our dress code is pretty much business/business casual. No jeans, t-shirts, must wear stockings, etc. Usually I wear slacks and a sweater twinset or blouse, or a dress or skirt/blouse combo. I strive to be a model employee. lol

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I know there are a few places here that won't let women wear skirts at all! I boo those places.

Marc Chevalier said:
In Chile, many offices do not allow their secretaries to wear slacks ... ever. Skirts only. I find this rule ridiculous -- and I'm sure it was concocted by men.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
I'm suit and tie everyday, except business casual on Fridays. Though, for me, vintage casual is jacket and tie!

I am always overdressed.

I also work for a bank, not in a branch, but in a commercial lending office. :)

I think being overdressed can work against you. Happy medium?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
I think being overdressed can work against you. Happy medium?
True in most cases, but, in banking, it is better to be overdressed. Afterall, I have to look responsible enough to conduct multi-million dollar business. My clinets have to feel confident in handing over those big checks. ;)

It's not as if I am in tops and tails. ;)

Tin Pan Sally

LolitaHaze said:
I know there are a few places here that won't let women wear skirts at all! I boo those places.
I once worked a temp job in an office like that. We had to wear slacks, collars buttoned up to the neck with either a (non-religious) brooch or scarf, low heels, no jewelry, and hair pulled back. zzzzzzzzz There were strict limits on what we could talk about and how to address each other. It did take the pressure off though, so we all could concentrate on getting the job done.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
being at least a little over dressed won't hurt you...being an employee, you are representing the company you are working for, to be dressed to the best of your abilities, make you an asset to the company. I see no problems with slacks, the problem I saw though when I was in the working field is that people always tried to push their limits. So slacks eventually started turning into jeans..which in some companies...big no no...skirts, I do believe there needs to be a line drawn, some things are just inappropriate for job attire, if you want to wear something shorter save it for after work and have fun with it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
I bet your office is a lovely environment! Who is the gal that always wears blouses that are too low cut or too tight? You know there is one!! :)

lol Believe it or not, we don't have one of those! Everyone sticks to the dress code quite nicely. We do have one lady, though, who likes to wear sandals without stockings, which is not allowed. That's really about as risque as it gets around here.

I work in a church, FYI!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
fortworthgal said:
We do have one lady, though, who likes to wear sandals without stockings, which is not allowed.

Gosh, what on earth could be wrong with sandals without stockings ... especially in the summer, when the temperature rises?

These days, so many women take good care of their legs' appearance (via waxing, moisturizing, etc.) ... so going stockingless does not necessarily mean that they look "unruly".

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
We don't have a dress code at work. Well, I suppose we "offically" have one, but it's not adhered to. I can wear jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers every day if I want to. Since my company (a book publishing company) is operated pretty much online and on the phone, we never see customers.

I sit in front of a computer all day long writing anyway. Being casual is a must!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
with some work places, sandals without stockings would probably be just fine, but in a professional field, you need to go a little step further than just being 'comfortable'.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A pair of legs that are well taken care of look just fine. In the warmer parts of Europe and in Latin America, practically no professional women wear panty hose on hot days -- nor are they expected to. They DO, however, wax and moisturize their legs regularly.

I really do think that this American fixation with stockings and pantyhose, even in the hot summer months, is rather Victorian-esque. If you're cold, wear panty hose. If you're warm, don't.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
and you're also talking about a different country....For the most part women do take better care of their legs, but, there are so few out there who use common sense that that's why stockings are an essential part of work attire

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Gosh, what on earth could be wrong with sandals without stockings ... especially in the summer, when the temperature rises?

These days, so many women take good care of their legs' appearance (via waxing, moisturizing, etc.) ... so going stockingless does not necessarily mean that they look "unruly".

During the summer, our dress code changes. We're in Texas and it gets very hot here during the summer months, so our dress code does relax. June through September we are allowed to go stockingless and wear sandals and (tasteful and business-like) cropped/capri pants.

But yes, the rest of the year - if you're showing leg or ankle, you must have stockings on. We're in a church environment and frequently host events such as funerals and the like, so the staff needs to look professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld