Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever broken dress code at work?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vintage outfits do work better with stockings. The authenticity of the look is best achieved that way. Back when those outfits were made and worn, women everywhere were expected to wear stockings. Today is different, but it's certainly true of the past.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
fortworthgal said:
During the summer, our dress code changes. We're in Texas and it gets very hot here during the summer months, so our dress code does relax. June through September we are allowed to go stockingless and wear sandals and (tasteful and business-like) cropped/capri pants.

But yes, the rest of the year - if you're showing leg or ankle, you must have stockings on. We're in a church environment and frequently host events such as funerals and the like, so the staff needs to look professional.

Now that makes perfect sense, because common sense has a big hand in it. It's great to hear that your environment is flexible.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
but why should today be different? being classy and well dressed should not be something of the past. We should take pride in ourselves and reflect it in our attire...like I've said before, you don't have to say anything to speak volumes to people about who you are

Tin Pan Sally

Todays shoe straps are lined to be slippery, and the inside is padded and lined to be comfortable. Vintage shoes require stockings. Some skirts and dresses drape better with silk stockings and a slip than with bare legs. I don't like to look sloppy.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
but why should today be different?
It is and it isn't. Some older fashions get revived, and some never go away. Some disappear.

It would be incredibly boring if we continued to wear the same fashions in the same way, year after year. Even the most attractive Golden Era clothes would bore us to tears eventually, if we saw everyone wearing them all the time ... forever.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tin Pan Sally said:
Todays shoe straps are lined to be slippery, and the inside is padded and lined to be comfortable. Vintage shoes require stockings. Some skirts and dresses drape better with silk stockings and a slip than with bare legs. I don't like to look sloppy.

In other words, you use common sense to decide whether or not you'll wear stockings on a given day. What you say is true: the wearing of stockings is determined by more "common sense" factors than just the weather.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
let me clarify a little bit...I'm not saying to keep the same kind of fashion forever, though I find nothing wrong with vintage clothing...the point I'm getting at is this, although we don't live in the 'vintage' era, doesn't mean we can't still dress classy and with style...fashion has actually gotten worse for the most part...have you been to the mall lately? :eek: the things that are exposed on most people is disgusting...I don't think I'm victorian, but who knows, maybe I am compared to most people these days...sometimes too much is too much, you can still look sexy without looking like a street walker

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually did purposefully break the dreaded dress code at work once years ago. I'd had enough of the baloney and I was just going in to quit, pickup my check and clear out my stuff. My supervisor actually called me in after I'd told her I was quitting to snarl at me. "You DO realize you're wearing blue jeans and that's a terminatable offense." <?!?!?!> "Yes, Jean, I realize it and I admit it. So we're clear here, am I quitting or are you now firing me?" "I'm just meaning it because I'm going to have to write it up and you have to sign the form." "And if I DON'T sign?" I'm bug-eyed with incredulity over how stupid the entire conversation is. "You have to sign or you know I have to report it on the yellow form that you refused." "Knock yourself out, dear! Write up a virtual rainbow of forms. That'll keep you busy all day long!" and walked out. She's following me through the rest of the office, down the stairs, through the warehouse plaintively calling after me "Michael! You stop right there! You have to sign the form! Michael, do you hear me? You come back and sign my form." Everyone told me it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever seen and totally wrecked Jean's day with all the different forms she was going to have to fill out, and kept telling anyone who'd listen "And I cannot believe he refused to sign my form!" I would've gladly signed the stupid thing had she not been so insane about it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
I actually did purposefully break the dreaded dress code at work once years ago. I'd had enough of the baloney and I was just going in to quit, pickup my check and clear out my stuff. My supervisor actually called me in after I'd told her I was quitting to snarl at me. "You DO realize you're wearing blue jeans and that's a terminatable offense." <?!?!?!> "Yes, Jean, I realize it and I admit it. So we're clear here, am I quitting or are you now firing me?" "I'm just meaning it because I'm going to have to write it up and you have to sign the form." "And if I DON'T sign?" I'm bug-eyed with incredulity over how stupid the entire conversation is. "You have to sign or you know I have to report it on the yellow form that you refused." "Knock yourself out, dear! Write up a virtual rainbow of forms. That'll keep you busy all day long!" and walked out. She's following me through the rest of the office, down the stairs, through the warehouse plaintively calling after me "Michael! You stop right there! You have to sign the form! Michael, do you hear me? You come back and sign my form." Everyone told me it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever seen and totally wrecked Jean's day with all the different forms she was going to have to fill out, and kept telling anyone who'd listen "And I cannot believe he refused to sign my form!" I would've gladly signed the stupid thing had she not been so insane about it.

Did you work in the office featured in the movie "Brazil"?

I've read that in some companies you have to be careful to not dress better than the clients. Especially in the financial industry...I guess if you look too well dressed the customer worries that you won't be conservative enough with their money. It seems that it is also a no-no to dress better than the boss. :rolleyes:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I really do think that this American fixation with stockings and pantyhose, even in the hot summer months, is rather Victorian-esque. If you're cold, wear panty hose. If you're warm, don't.

I don't know about everyone else, but I find a pair of stocking-clad legs far sexier than bare legs. I guess it goes without saying I don't care for the modern bare look. Must mean I've got a stocking fetish.lol Is that Victorian?

I was just offered a job as a textbook proofreader today. When I went into the office for my interview and such, I was the only one in a suit and tie, so I know I'll be overdressed. I did see a nice stingy-brim fedora hanging in one proofreader's cubicle, so I won't be the only one with a hat!

The hard part will be going with the Lounge all day, as there are no computers in the proofreading department. All our work is done with paper and red pen!:)

Brad

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I was overdressed at my job for about the first few months. But then I started feeling out of place.

Brad - A textbook proofreader, eh? Sounds interesting! What kind of textbooks?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MelissaAnne said:
Brad - A textbook proofreader, eh? Sounds interesting! What kind of textbooks?

Mostly high-level math and science college textbooks, though some high school, they said. Once in a while they do books in the Humanities. This company offers production services to all of the publishers. After everything has been copyedited and the design is set, my job is to make sure everything is correct before the book is shipped off to the printers, so if any errors show up in the printed edition, it's my fault.:eek: :eek: :eek: It will be tedious and boring, but it will pay the bills and allow me to finally purchase an Art Fawcett original and an Adventurebilt, not to mention a few more suits. Oh, and new shoes, as mine are mostly junk.lol

Like you, I earned my BA and MA in History, so this isn't quite up my alley, but it's a step in the right direction. I had a dickens of a time finding work.

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, by the way!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld