Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
A quick trip to the South of Wakayama to celebrate midsummer Christmas properly. I wore my Panama for the most part.
IMG_1470.jpeg

The hotel we’re staying at has an open bar in the afternoon (read free drinks) with beer and wine. Needless to say, we enjoyed it. It has a second round in the evening with various spirits.
IMG_1466.jpeg

I started with a Japanese whisky, Fuji, then a cinnamon and star anise infused bourbon.
IMG_0652.jpeg

Then it was time to hit the tequila, first a reposado…
IMG_1488.jpeg

followed by an anejo.
I preferred the anejo.
IMG_1489.jpeg

Maybe the glassware leaves a bit to be desired, but we’re certainly enjoying ourselves!

MJL

One of the Regulars
A quick trip to the South of Wakayama to celebrate midsummer Christmas properly. I wore my Panama for the most part.
View attachment 630319
The hotel we’re staying at has an open bar in the afternoon (read free drinks) with beer and wine. Needless to say, we enjoyed it. It has a second round in the evening with various spirits.
View attachment 630321
I started with a Japanese whisky, Fuji, then a cinnamon and star anise infused bourbon.
View attachment 630320
Then it was time to hit the tequila, first a reposado…
View attachment 630322
followed by an anejo.
I preferred the anejo.
View attachment 630323
Maybe the glassware leaves a bit to be desired, but we’re certainly enjoying ourselves!
I don't drink fast enough to prevent those paper cups from springing leaks. The high proof bourbons/ryes that I drink straight just eat through the glue holding the paper cups together. Now, I travel with plastic red Solo cups that have the added advantage of allowing me to measure out my pours.

I don't drink fast enough to prevent those paper cups from springing leaks. The high proof bourbons/ryes that I drink straight just eat through the glue holding the paper cups together. Now, I travel with plastic red Solo cups that have the added advantage of allowing me to measure out my pours.
I hate drinking alcohol from a paper cup also. I drink everything neat & it’s just a mouthfeel thing with me. It detracts from the taste & experience. I bought a double wall stainless steel whiskey glass for the outdoors after breaking a favorite Glencairn while swatting a fly from my drink. It’s just machine turned on the inside. I’ve wondered if I would like it better if I took the time to take a rotary tool & polished it out on the inside? It just has a different mouthfeel, lip & all.

MJL

One of the Regulars
I just noticed you're drinking Maker's Mark. The higher proof versions are absolutely amazing. I was at a whiskey event in Miami this spring where Marker's Mark showed up with some of their special bottles. The one that I tried that shocked me was their white dog at still strength. I cannot fully describe how really special this was. Just amazing.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
These cups are waxed, and pretty solid. The alcohol doesn’t soak into them at all. It does take away from the drinking experience, but they’re certainly better than your regular paper cups…and beggars can’t be choosers!
I hate drinking alcohol from a paper cup also. I drink everything neat & it’s just a mouthfeel thing with me. It detracts from the taste & experience. I bought a double wall stainless steel whiskey glass for the outdoors after breaking a favorite Glencairn while swatting a fly from my drink. It’s just machine turned on the inside. I’ve wondered if I would like it better if I took the time to take a rotary tool & polished it out on the inside? It just has a different mouthfeel, lip & all.

[/URL]
I’ve looked at those Snutes, and similar, and will likely get myself one for barbecues at some stage.
On a related note, have you tried the Neat glass?
I just noticed you're drinking Maker's Mark. The higher proof versions are absolutely amazing. I was at a whiskey event in Miami this spring where Marker's Mark showed up with some of their special bottles. The one that I tried that shocked me was their white dog at still strength. I cannot fully describe how really special this was. Just amazing.
I like Makers as an every day quaffer. But I’ve heard others say they produce some really nice whiskeys, too. I’ve only ever seen the regular bottle here in Japan.

On a related note, have you tried the Neat glass?
I have not. She has a small collection of Victorian Ladies glass cuspidors they held in their laps when they chewed tobacco. They are small with a pot bottom & flared rim, hand blown glass in colors & patterns. Every time I see the Neat glass I’m reminded of those cuspidors.

HH has returned with a few pints of Azacca Morris IPA by Maplewood Brewing Company, Chicago, IL. @ 7.3% ABV, it is an Azacca single hopped IPA with nose & tastes of tropical fruit, brown orchard fruit, & pine. Just a touch of bitter citrus. Again it reminds me of Boulevard Brewing’s Tank 7 with just a bit more pine & less grapefruit. Easier on my stomach when drinking multiples.

IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

With a temp of 99* & a Heat Index of 112*, it was an easy decision to wear a hemp OR.

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Costco run today. There’s a booze shop not too far from Costco that has a great selection of both whisky and beer. It was beer today. The three taller ones are from Lithuania.
IMG_2581.jpeg

Today’s can was German, and I really enjoyed it.
IMG_2580.jpeg

The one on the right is from Hungary, and it is very intriguing. Cacao and coffee notes, apparently. Just the kind of thing I like. These beers are way cheaper than Japanese beer, and they’re really good. I’m particularly pleased to find various dark beers. They are getting harder to find over here.
Today’s hat was a Bailey Toyo with a new pug added.
IMG_2583.jpeg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I would to share some moments from this past week.

Late week I enjoyed a gin and tonic in the hot and humid weather paired with buttered noodles, pepper and cheese.

i-VdgrPvF-M.jpg

A collage sharing cold brew, gin and tonic (again), Surley Supremes (a couple of occasions).

i-Mz4N9qj-M.jpg

i-MzzBTdg-M.jpg

This morning I enjoyed a gin and tonic, warm coffee in the 62'f weather, dark cold brew and some iced cold brew(half and half added).

i-gM9rD6G-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads