Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

the Westlands. They aren’t far off a Lagavulin 16 price wise, so , as much as I’d like to try one, I think it’s unlikely that I will.
I would stick with the Lag also.

The Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 is a favorite Highlands for me. Expensive, but it does go on sale here & I buy ahead, sip on special occasions. I had a bottle of their Lasanta Sherry Cask 12 but haven’t bought a second. I think Glenmorangie distills a quality line of whisky.

The Macallan’s are good especially their Sherry Cask finished, but for me are up against a price point competitor & rarely go on sale or offer.

IMG_6536.jpeg

Blair Athol is a small highlands distillery & most of their casks are bought by blenders to be used in blends. Hard to come by. Never had their 12. I did have a bottle of their 18 yr old bottled by First Editions bought on a flash sale.

IMG_6537.jpeg

The Cragganmore 12 is priced on the high end for a 12 yr old but worth having. It does go on sale here at times.

IMG_6539.jpeg

The Glenfarclas 12 is up against stiff competition at its price point. The 105 is good for a high octane. Never bought the 15 before.

The Dalmore Cigar Malt is rated over the moon good but expensive & Ive never seen it on sale.

IMG_6538.jpeg

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
The Cragganmore 12 is priced on the high end for a 12 yr old but worth having. It does go on sale here at times.

View attachment 633070

The Glenfarclas 12 is up against stiff competition at its price point. The 105 is good for a high octane. Never bought the 15 before.

The Dalmore Cigar Malt is rated over the moon good but expensive & Ive never seen it on sale.

View attachment 633069
Thanks Jack. I’ll be referring back to your responses when I next visit this place.

Thanks Jack. I’ll be referring back to your responses when I next visit this place.
With tequila you have to decide if you like the taste of cooked blue agave from an unaged Blanco or the smooth flavors from an aged Reposado, Anejo, or Extra Anejo (XA). None of the brands in the pic really stand out except the Don Nacho. The one boxed is probably an Anejo or XA. They tend to be expensive.

IMG_6535.jpeg

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Latest of my beer purchases, and one I was not really expecting to like…”
Golden colored, unfiltered, top-fermented German wheat beer with a fluffy mouthfeel, and a distinctive banana and clove yeast character.
In September 2021, it received the Golden Beer Seal Award at the international competition in České Budějovice.”
Despite the award, fluffy banana is not what I usually look for in a beer. At first sip, I was very pleasantly surprised. A bit fruity, and yes, I do get a bit of banana, but it works. I loved it. So did Etsuko.
IMG_2681.jpeg

Definitely one to buy again. My second beer from Pécsi Sör of Hungary, after the Premium Brown also impressed me immensely the other day. Etsuko has their Radler sitting in the cupboard , and I think the shop I buy these at has one or two more varieties. I’ll certainly be trying them.

Velvet Underbrown, an American Brown Ale by Heavy Riff Brewing Co, St. Louis, MO @ 6.5% ABV.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Number Juan XA tequila aged 3-1/2 yrs in white oak bourbon casks. The company is owned by comedian Ron White. I wanted to try this as I took a chance on a bottle of Juan In A Million XA on a flash sale. Juan In A Million is aged 9-1/2 yrs. Small bottling/offering.

IMG_0915.jpeg

Hot sultry day & a busy bar called for some decorum under my Stetson Shantung 10X OR. No pics.

Tesla Cybertruck parked next to me when I came out.

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0917.jpeg

A couple of Toppling Brewing Co’s Marzen-style Goliath Oktoberfests @ 5.2%. A couple of Stockyard Brewing’s Black IPA’s @ 7%. A mild HH under a Pedigree Fifth Avenue Montecristi.

IMG_0929.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

Then home to open a new bottle of Lag 16 & stream Costner ‘s Horizon, An American Saga, Chapter 1. I thought it was fantastic! Can’t wait for Chapters 2-3-4. If anyone wants to start a thread I’m there with you.

IMG_0930.jpeg

RBH

Bartender
Then home to open a new bottle of Lag 16 & stream Costner ‘s Horizon, An American Saga, Chapter 1. I thought it was fantastic! Can’t wait for Chapters 2-3-4. If anyone wants to start a thread I’m there with you.
I saw it on opening day!
I thought it was excellent!!!
When I got my ticket, the ticket guy gave me a small lobby poster. I put it in a frame and promptly hung it in my “cantina.”
It has the no longer pertinent 2nd chapter release date on it!!
IMG_6189.jpeg

I saw it on opening day!
I thought it was excellent!!!
When I got my ticket, the ticket guy gave me a small lobby poster. I put it in a frame and promptly hung it in my “cantina.”
It has the no longer pertinent 2nd chapter release date on it!! View attachment 634143
What I liked about streaming it at home (besides the refreshments) was with so many characters in the story lines, you can touch the screen & in the corner it will tell you who the characters are in that scene. I have rental access for 48 hrs so I’ll be watching it again.

Reactions: RBH

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Hyogo prefecture today and a visit to a 105 year old liquor store. This place has the best selection of whisky I’ve come across in Japan. We tasted 10 whiskies.
IMG_1634.jpeg

The Irish whiskies were underwhelming. The Glenkinchie was decent. Lots of honey flavours. Not my style, really, but nice all the same. The Port Charlotte’s were (unsurprisingly) the standouts for us in our first group, but (surprisingly), we preferred the 10yo over the more expensive 14yo. The 14 yo had more going on on the nose, but the 10 took it on the palate.
The second tasting…
IMG_1633.jpeg

recent discussions on this thread had me keen to try a level above the regular Maker’s Mark. The French oak was clearly a step up from the regular Maker’s. The Glen Scotia was entirely underwhelming. The GlenAllachie was a bit harsh on the nose, but decent. I’ve been a fan of Talisker for a long while, but this Port Ruighe was a step up from the Talisker I’m used to.
We ended up purchasing the Port Charlotte 10 and the Talisker.
I had planned to wear my Panama, but the inclement weather meant that the Sunbody was the better choice.
IMG_0691.jpeg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
End of last week found me enjoying a Founders All Day IPA, much cold brew coffee and home brewed ice tea. The temps and work efforts found these as tasty thru the week.

i-BTX4Sf2-M.jpg

Sunday evening I headed out to an Irish Pub, here in Minneapolis MN to listen to some acoustic Blues and Jazz.

i-hS9vZxM-M.jpg

A pint of Guinness was just the ticket for the enjoyable listening. Home I opened a can of Bent Paddle Brewing Kanu. The IPA was the finish to an enjoyable day.

i-BCZvQBZ-M.jpg

Tonight, apologies no pic, I am enjoying a dram of Speyborn 10. This malted barley whiskey is 86 proof, 43 ABV. The citrus and light sherry taste makes it a very easy drink. It is not complex and easy sipping. For around $30.00, in my area, it is easily approachable and an easy whiskey to share with new to whiskey visitors. It is working for me tonight.

Cheers, Eric -

RickP

Practically Family
Taking one of the "Mutts" out on the patio tonight... Paired with a Shiner Bock and a Punch Double Maduro. This poor little thing was a $10 ebay hat in really rough shape. A Sovereign stetson of some form ( no tags inside) with a wide ribbon binding. Looks a lot like my semi modern Whippet I posted yesterday. Got to me crushed flat and covered in dirt and part of a dirt dauber nest stuck to the underside of the brim. Liner was green/ grey with mold. (note to ebay sellers, if youre going to go to the effort to list something, is it too much to ask to at least bang it on your knee to knock some dust and dirt daubers off?) Got it cleaned and a bit of smoothing. Good little rough around hat for bad weather. Still got a way to go before I declare it good to go, but its out and about again!

Compress_20240822_170754_4560.jpg
Compress_20240822_172554_4755.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42