Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
People seem to have a thing about tonal-stitching, but I like the clean simplicity of the look - especially at 16oz. As far as the ox blood price goes, I thought Gustin was taking the **** a bit with it too. Is it a different/nicer fabric? Or have they decided that the customer base is there so they don't have to hedge their bets about whether or not a denim will sell? I'm not sure. There are still nice denims for under $100, but how many blues do you need?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Question for you guys that have bought the Slim fit...just got my first pair of Slims and I'm not sure what to make of the fit at the ankle/hem. They're not wide enough to cover the tops of my shoes. They hit the top of the lace area and bunch up right there, so they don't fall/hang naturally. I'm not used to a narrow opening like this. How do you guys deal with this? Are they supposed to be rolled up high and be worn as high-waters? Thoughts?

wdw

One Too Many
I tried not to, but I just couldn't resist backing the new green herringbone chore coat. It'll be a nice alternative to my black one.

A man can never have enough jackets...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
tumblr_lnxv1aqDVP1qg6fb5_zpsaeb25431.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just saw the new Horween belts being offered at $85.00. Very nice, and they've added an extra layer of leather for durability. I just wonder if they'd be comfortable, as thick leather belts tend to grind into one's thighbones.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I'm waiting for a pair of classic 16s ,should be here soon,was just about to push the button on the heavy 23 wen I noticed 60bucks shipping !!!!yikes,,with that and then customs & handling charge it was too much of a gamble,,,I will hang off till I see how my 16s fit,,,I really do want a heavy pair at some time though,,,but at over £200delivered ,it's iron heart territory.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I agree on both.

I have a gunbelt that is beautiful but it does grind into the hips when sitting, especially like using a laptop on a short table and having to lean forward. Its nice to have a softer one to change with.

I also think the 23oz is close to IH and is a bit to much. Although if they fit they will probably be a very very nice pair of jeans, but since i already have the IH 21oz I think Ill wait. They do look nice so if someone here dosnt have enough blues and no 20+ jeans they should definately get them. Seems like the beast came out small so maybe take that into account. One can always shrink jenas a little smaller but its a pita to make them bigger :D

winterland1

Practically Family
Question for you guys that have bought the Slim fit...just got my first pair of Slims and I'm not sure what to make of the fit at the ankle/hem. They're not wide enough to cover the tops of my shoes. They hit the top of the lace area and bunch up right there, so they don't fall/hang naturally. I'm not used to a narrow opening like this. How do you guys deal with this? Are they supposed to be rolled up high and be worn as high-waters? Thoughts?

You might just be used to having a wider hem. I personally love the sizing of the slim. To me they look perfectly natural wearing shoes or boots.
They probably would be a tight if I was wearing cowboy boots or the such but all my boots are tight on my ankles.
Definitely do not roll up high for the high water looks. Unless that is your thing. :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The slim fit is great for guys like me with sparrow legs but not fond of the low rise that tends to bite into my crotch. :eeek:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I ended up selling the Slims. I had gotten over the bunching up at the tops of my shoes thing, and actually loved they way the fit felt on me. Problem was, I don't own a full length mirror. So when I wore them out the first time and saw myself in a full length mirror, I hated the way the way they looked, with the severe taper and pegged look at the bottom part of the leg and hem. It's just a ridiculous look on a man IMO. I actually felt embarrased the rest of the day wearing them around after I saw how they looked. I couldn't get them off me and get them sold fast enough.

The straights are the opposite...I like the way they look, but the fit is uncomfortable. The rise is about half an inch too high, so it painfully cuts into my gut. It also has a 'push up bra' effect on my belly; pushing it up and out, enhancing and exagerating my belly, love handles, and back fat into muffin top prominince.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Of course it will depend on your build. Like I said they work for me and I am not a skinny jeans guy.
Just think there are many who want a skinnier than the slim fit to be made by Gustin.

So I couldn't pass up the rustic blue plaid shirt...
My question is about the crazy sizing.
I'm between a 38 & 40, and I usually wear a Med. Do I go with Medium?
Thanks for enlightened advice!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
So I couldn't pass up the rustic blue plaid shirt...
My question is about the crazy sizing.
I'm between a 38 & 40, and I usually wear a Med. Do I go with Medium?
Thanks for enlightened advice!

I'm a slim 40 and I found the Medium was a bit too slim for me. Too bad as I really liked the shirt.

wdw

One Too Many
handymike, I'm similar to you (nearer 40) and went Large with no regrets. I have a medium Trucker which fits OK, but needed to go Large in the shirt and chore coat I have.

Gustin shirts are notoriously small fitting to start with, and when they're washed the first time often shrink a little.

If you look at the Gustin site forum, you'll see that Rule #1 is invariably to size up on shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe