Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Great Coat" in the middle of summer

Edward

Bartender
Airspirit, I've been looking at that myself. I bought a couple of things from those people a few years ago, and they're grand to deal with. They did have the RAF coat at one point as well, don't know if they'll get them again. Nowadays you're up against it with the Doctor Who / Torchwood fanbase for those... I'm still looking one myself.

The coat you link to looks nice as a casual piece, though I'm leaning myself towards the French one that also have as being better for wearing with a suit (I think this one is just a bit too casual looking for that). I do wish they used some other sizing system, though - "SML" is virtually worthless, given how subjective and varied itg tends to be from one source to another.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
RAF greatcoat? They're common enough in surplus shops in the UK. I recently bought a post war ORs version in a charity shop for 10 GBP. That's 'best buy' as the Torchwood Teenies are after them. What size are you? How much are you prepared to pay?

What you show below is a post war British Army dismounted greatcoat (the buttons on the pictured examples have been swapped). They can be made to look like the WW 2 version (See Brayley and Ingram Uniforms of the WW2 Tommy). I call in at Surplus and Adventure regularly. They're OK to deal with.

airspirit said:

Edward

Bartender
I must start trawling the surplus shops again. I actually need to find them.... Silverman's is just up the road from me, and while they have a lot of great stuff, they can be expensive in my experience. I used to use Damage 311 in Camden a lot, but since they began the destruction of the Stables, they disappeared, I don't know to where. :( I also hear the great one I went to in Euston is now a thing of the past as well. :( Charity shops I run into very infrequently, living in inner London. Still, I'm keeping an eye out... I reckon I'd be happy to pay up to GBP50, at most, for one of the Jack Hawking style coats. I see them occasionally on eBay, though not so often in my size (I need a 44 chest to go over a suit).

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
A Great Coat...

I have mentioned this on here somewhere else, but, a few years ago I purchased a Dark Green fedora hat, the wife asked me when I would wear it, well, it is hard to get me out of it now. It is a way of life these days.....I needed a coat to match.
I had, many years ago, a Civil Defence (british), trenchcoat, black and very like the ones you have above. I loved that coat even then, I ruined it on motorcycles eventually, but, hey, that is what coats are for, to wear...
I have struggled more recently, with trying to replicate that coat, a seemingly impossible task as I found out....loads of this and that, but, nothing really worthwhile, them days are gone unfortunately, unless you own a large sum of money, do not mind worn out stuff that smells, or, like me, a trend setter ???
I recently found, ordered and received only yesterday, a greatcoat/trenchcoat, made to original patterns, in the natural country of origin, same colouration as originals and obtainable. A M36 German Military greatcoat of the WW2. Grey/green woolen, long coat, with a rounded Dark Green collar that opens up, the same as normal greatcoats, if needed. It clips on the front of the collar, to retain the frontage as weatherproof.
I unfortunately seem to not be able to post a picture, when I sort that out, I will be posting the snap, with hat and coat in place, and very dapper I feel too, proud of my new coat, regardless of consequence due to it's connotations...it is after all, just a coat and a hat, just different somehow....:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe