Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going for a Gatsby/Newsboy cap...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Was checking out the B-Wear site that seems to come up trumps on the Lounge each time a Gatsby is mentioned.

But it's hard to see the colours and fabrics on the caps, and I want something to go with greens and browns and khakis that I tend to wear. Any suggestions on the cap fabric to go for with B-Wear?

Also, what is the sweat band made from (is it leather or fabric?).

Lastly - (before I put you all to sleep!!), are these caps more like the 30's ones in that they are THAT BIT larger on top to shape and drape?

THAT'S IT FOLKS - thankyou in anticipation!!:eusa_clap

Speedster

Practically Family
My B!Wear cap in brown heringbone (#10) on Brett's webpage:

119_1980.jpg

It has a leather sweatband and the cap is very soft and comfortable.

You could also try the Classic Caps Company in the UK. They have a a model with a 12 inch wide full crown in Donegal Tweed called the "Baker Boys 12 Big 'Un:
http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html

I have the "Baker Boys 10.5 Donegal". Its flat vintage style:

119_1978.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Look, Rene! I have a few of those style caps that I got at a store near where I live for very little money, and while they're not constructed to vintage standards they give me the same look. Nice photos! Remember the Maine!.

dean

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looks great with the flying jacket!

A Gatsby with an A-1 or A-2 looks VERY COOL..!! (And beats the socks off a baseball cap anyday :eusa_clap ).

Feraud

Bartender
I too will attest to the sharp style and quality of B! Wear caps.
Here is my brown herringbone. There is extra material up top to give it the vintage flop. The sweatband is leather.
DSC00774.jpg

As for matching with green, brown, and khaki, I think the herringbones in brown and gray will work. I have a gray tweed pattern that goes with those colors too.

While in NYC recently I came across this "no name" cap. I was looking for a summer cap in linen. This is 100% wool but very thin and the price was right.
DSC01294.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Also Brett can make the caps in just about any fabric you desire. Most of his stock hats have a suede sweatband buth you can order it with a smooth leather sweatband as well. A little chatting with him and you can get it exactly they way you want.

Cheers!

Dan

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I got mine from Noggintops www.noggintops.com It's by Hannah's of Donegal, Ireland. I have the brown herringbone. It is lined with a satiny material with a fabric "sweatband". I like mine very much, though don't wear it often.

HorseHide1.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some cool looking gents here!

The Gatsby just seems to set you gents apart from the rest of the crowd. Very slick :eusa_clap

Think I'll try Brett for one and see how it goes (now which fabric...mmmm, Herringbone in the brown..?).:rolleyes:

akaBruno

Suspended
I love those big floppy News Boys, too cool. I've had a leather country style/driving/sport cap for years (never really knew what to call it). Always wear it backwards beret style.

BRUNO

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Avoid the Dobbs Wellington linen newsy. It's cut TOO big, lies very flat with a fat, domed button, and won't take a shaping because the linen is so very thin, about shirting weight.

271.jpg

Now I have a 7 5/8 head and ALL hats look teeny on it. Not the Dobbs. It shlops over about 2 1/2" on both sides and stays shlopped because of the super floppy fabric.

The white one can impersonate a baker's tuque nicely (except it's not washable), but as a '20s cap it's a complete cartoon.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Paddy -- I have half a dozen B!Wear caps and love them all. Any of those brown/green/herringbone/tweed caps would do it. Silk lining, -- a
great thing -- he has leather sweat liners inside. I believe I have read that the old vintage hats had leather sweats.

You can also ask him about customizing a cap if there is something specific you are after.

You can't beat the price, either.

karol

Edward

Bartender
You could also try the Classic Caps Company in the UK. They have a a model with a 12 inch wide full crown in Donegal Tweed called the "Baker Boys 12 Big 'Un:
http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html

I have the "Baker Boys 10.5 Donegal". Its flat vintage style:

119_1978.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks good.... I'm liking the look of their stuff, I'll probably buy a Gatsby from them in due course.... looking at that site, I was intrigued by their Fedoras - the ones in and around the GBP50 mark. Any experience with those? I'm interested in finding a supplier of high quality vintage style Fedoras in the UK, and those would be at in and around my ceiling price - I'd like to pay less, obviously ;) Though for something quality I'd be happy to shell out that when I know it's going to last for the foreseeable... I loved the look of the Akubras etc folks rave about on here, but once you add on international shipping and import taxes..... ouch!

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I started wearing Newsboys when Pendleton offered them. The Pendleton caps were great. I had two, one a tweed, the other a blue wool hat with a leather brim. That one I lost in the Seattle airport, and last year I wore the tweed one out.

Finding a replacement was difficult. I bought a Hannah hat, and it's an excellently made hat. For some odd reason, however, Irish sizes seem to run large, and mine is really slightly too big. I will wear it, however, particularly if I haven't managed to get into the barbershop quite when I should.

The other is a B Wear hat, which is an excellent hat. Highly recommended.

Edward

Bartender
Pat_H said:
For some odd reason, however, Irish sizes seem to run large, and mine is really slightly too big.

I think there is a slight difference between the way they are calculated in the US and over this side of the Atlantic.... it's been a while, but if I recall correctly, a UK/IRL size 7 is equivalent to a US 7 1/4. I always make sure to go by quoted circumfernece measurements in cm to be sure... that makes me a 57, which I've found to be generally pretty consistent internationally when they quote measurements that way.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Do any of you folks from the other side of the pond know where to find Hannah caps in England/Ireland?

I figured that they would be pretty popular and, thus, easy to find, but I want to be sure before I leave in a couple of weeks.

I mean... how can you go to Ireland and not buy a tweed cap?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally