Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
The only 5* jacket that worked was when I sent them a ‘Trucker’ to clone in leather. The other two where measurements were given were a disaster. The numbers weren’t the same on what was received and therefore didn’t fit, one was so poorly made it went in the bin (got a full refund though) the other went cheap on eBay. The Trucker was returned once because the dye wasn’t ’fixed’ properly (is now) but has been fine since and regularly worn. Have gone back to saving up for Eastman jackets & would go Aero if I wanted another leather Trucker. On the VLJ forum a lot of folk have been happy with 5* flight jackets I probably wouldn’t be having experienced Eastmans.

I think I’m going to end up writing Vanson one of these days and asking them to dust off their TT (Tourist Trophy) pattern.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So this 5 star company…

Sending in measurements can be hit or miss, and while the leather selection is good, the cutters can be overly thrifty when it comes to using up the stretchy belly hide?

Because I have long wanted a leather touring jacket, made up in the 3/4 length, four pocket, belted variety.

If I sent them my Barbour International A7 they could make me one in Leather?

(Not mine, taken from the net)
View attachment 639950

Five Star is usually very good at duplicating a garment but there are a lot of moving parts here with a jacket this complicated.

I'd suggest going to Goldtop route since they've done the work for you. (They are themselves another of the older British motorcycling brands, revived a few years ago; they manufacture in India or Pakistan but to their own patterns and handle QC.)

This is essentially what you want, after all.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Five Star is usually very good at duplicating a garment but there are a lot of moving parts here with a jacket this complicated.

I'd suggest going to Goldtop route since they've done the work for you. (They are themselves another of the older British motorcycling brands, revived a few years ago; they manufacture in India or Pakistan but to their own patterns and handle QC.)

This is essentially what you want, after all.

+1

For just a little bit more money - get yourself that jacket instead. You’ll likely regret going with 5star.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1

For just a little bit more money - get yourself that jacket instead. You’ll likely regret going with 5star.

I don't think it would even cost more money, given that he'd have to pay the cost of shipping his Barbour across the world, and a jacket like this would cost quite a bit in leather and patterning. So in this case Goldtop takes the work away and lets him focus on the product.

So this 5 star company…

Sending in measurements can be hit or miss, and while the leather selection is good, the cutters can be overly thrifty when it comes to using up the stretchy belly hide?

Because I have long wanted a leather touring jacket, made up in the 3/4 length, four pocket, belted variety.

If I sent them my Barbour International A7 they could make me one in Leather?

(Not mine, taken from the net)
View attachment 639950
Nothing but sincere disappointment will come from this pursuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1