Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

soreilly

New in Town
I am quite tall, and run into an issue with most jackets if I am looking to be able to ride in them, and thats sleeve length and shoulder width/ability to move well enough. I am 6'4" and 190lbs.

I was thinking of having 5* copy a Langlitz K9, still debating with HH or Goat for this, but the ability to get custom specs would be the biggest selling point for me, and not waiting 10 months and spending so much with Langlitz. One day I will go that route, but today is not that day.

I have read a lot of this thread and peoples 2cents about how to order with them, and luckily have a suede shirt that fits me just about perfectly I can use as base specs and call out the places I want a difference. Has anyone ordered something lighterweight from them, and have anything to say good or bad? Also any recommendations on leather and smalls about the jacket I may not have thought of?

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 1.47.05 PM.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am quite tall, and run into an issue with most jackets if I am looking to be able to ride in them, and thats sleeve length and shoulder width/ability to move well enough. I am 6'4" and 190lbs.

I was thinking of having 5* copy a Langlitz K9, still debating with HH or Goat for this, but the ability to get custom specs would be the biggest selling point for me, and not waiting 10 months and spending so much with Langlitz. One day I will go that route, but today is not that day.

I have read a lot of this thread and peoples 2cents about how to order with them, and luckily have a suede shirt that fits me just about perfectly I can use as base specs and call out the places I want a difference. Has anyone ordered something lighterweight from them, and have anything to say good or bad? Also any recommendations on leather and smalls about the jacket I may not have thought of?

View attachment 636876

Bad idea.

secretz

New in Town
Hello all, I am trying to purchase my first proper leather jacket and found this thread and Fivestar as a good compromise on quality and cost. I am looking at the Vintage Custom 1930s civilian leather jacket but having no jacket to compare to I am having trouble figuring out dimensions. I am very tall so I think the regular size will not be optimal. I am thinking of two alternative: 1) Get my measurements done by tailor but I have read this might not be a good idea, or 2) Buy a test jacket from Zalando (costless to return), measure it and figure out what needs to be altered. This second option seems better but do I have to find something similar in design?

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Hello all, I am trying to purchase my first proper leather jacket and found this thread and Fivestar as a good compromise on quality and cost. I am looking at the Vintage Custom 1930s civilian leather jacket but having no jacket to compare to I am having trouble figuring out dimensions. I am very tall so I think the regular size will not be optimal. I am thinking of two alternative: 1) Get my measurements done by tailor but I have read this might not be a good idea, or 2) Buy a test jacket from Zalando (costless to return), measure it and figure out what needs to be altered. This second option seems better but do I have to find something similar in design?
Ordering from 5* without experience is only an idea if you are prepared to write off the first jacket completely in case of doubt. The likelihood that you will be successful on your first attempt is rather low.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
This is exactly where I've landed with 5*.

MrProper is one of the nicest people on here. Anyone offended by him is being too sensitive.

I'm very happy with the jacket. I can reliably get a good jacket from 5* that I, the purchaser, consider good value, because I know what to ask for and what I want. You shouldn't have to emphasize curved sleeves but you won't get them otherwise with 5*.

As we have seen, others do not consider 5* a good investment and they are entitled to that opinion. You can get a used Schott or Vanson for the same price, which is a better jacket. That being said, you may not have the exact measurements you want with that jacket and it may not fit you as well. Here's an example of that. I have a Vanson F and a 5* that are similar in measurements and design. I prefer the fit of the 5* and never reach for the Vanson even though it's a superior jacket in terms of construction and materials. View attachment 615751 View attachment 615753

With 5* and many other areas of life, if you don't ask, you don't get!
A lot of people love Vanson leather, but I still have yet to a see something I like from them. I hope I find one I like to add to my collection, but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans) I’m going to have to pass until I see one in person to make sure it fits.

TartuWolf

One Too Many
but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans)
Shots fired haha.
Love the fit of mine:
Many examples on TFL of Vansons that fit people fantastic.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans) I’m going to have to pass until I see one in person to make sure it fits.
:D
Yes, the pictures on Vanson's site are anything but favourable. I probably wouldn't think of buying a Vanson either.
Fortunately, there is the TFL with some pictures. Here are excerpts and by no means complete ;-)

and many more.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A lot of people love Vanson leather, but I still have yet to a see something I like from them. I hope I find one I like to add to my collection, but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans) I’m going to have to pass until I see one in person to make sure it fits.

IMG_0215.jpeg

Not trying to turn this into a Vanson fits great thread but while i’m having coffee And TFL is cooperating.

KBlake

One Too Many
I was succumbing to peer pressure when I wrote that. I’ve since sold my vansons and still wear some 5* because of the fit but that is not to say that vansons don’t fit some people well. I’m just not one of them.

Observe

One Too Many
I was succumbing to peer pressure when I wrote that. I’ve since sold my vansons and still wear some 5* because of the fit but that is not to say that vansons don’t fit some people well. I’m just not one of them.
There's a seam in the sleeves of several vanson models that hits me right at my elbow, and it's incredibly annoying because there's like 17 layers of leather at that area where several seams overlap. The bulk makes elbow movement and wearing long sleeve layers rather uncomfortable, and I don't even have big arms, not by any means. The jacket otherwise fit me.

Retserrof

New in Town
Despite multiple warnings, I went ahead and bought a 5 Star jacket to my measurements and requests. When I received it, I initially thought "this doesn't look too bad". Then I realised arms were 25mm too long, 15mm too skinny in forearm/wrist, arm lining wasn't what I asked for, neck diameter was 20mm too large, no 3D arms as requested, there was a small cut on an edge in the front centre, and a few other smaller issues.

Following this, I sent a friendly message to see if we could work something out. This was left unreplied to for 8 days before I put a PayPal case in (maybe premature but they had no issue replying straight away before this). Surprise surprise, I got an email offering 50% off a new one and was made to feel bad for opening my case. This went back and forth a few times with different options after I declined the 50% offer. This resulted in me finally accepting to pay postage for them to send me a new one because they wanted me to pay return postage (which I pointed out it wasn't a change of mind, it was because I didn't get what I paid for and it had some qc issues).

All in all, this has been a couple months of stress I wish I never put myself through. I'm currently waiting for the new one to be made. The product itself would not be horrible if things were right, but they just aren't. I have now started the hunt for a second hand higher quality jacket.

Attachments

• 20240816_153419.jpg
    20240816_153419.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240816_153423.jpg
    20240816_153423.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Despite multiple warnings, I went ahead and bought a 5 Star jacket to my measurements and requests. When I received it, I initially thought "this doesn't look too bad". Then I realised arms were 25mm too long, 15mm too skinny in forearm/wrist, arm lining wasn't what I asked for, neck diameter was 20mm too large, no 3D arms as requested, there was a small cut on an edge in the front centre, and a few other smaller issues.

Following this, I sent a friendly message to see if we could work something out. This was left unreplied to for 8 days before I put a PayPal case in (maybe premature but they had no issue replying straight away before this). Surprise surprise, I got an email offering 50% off a new one and was made to feel bad for opening my case. This went back and forth a few times with different options after I declined the 50% offer. This resulted in me finally accepting to pay postage for them to send me a new one because they wanted me to pay return postage (which I pointed out it wasn't a change of mind, it was because I didn't get what I paid for and it had some qc issues).

All in all, this has been a couple months of stress I wish I never put myself through. I'm currently waiting for the new one to be made. The product itself would not be horrible if things were right, but they just aren't. I have now started the hunt for a second hand higher quality jacket.
I'm sorry for you. Welcome to the world of 5*

Observe

One Too Many

Learning experience. You can strike gold with 5* if you are lucky and an expert. Your experience is par for the course for first timers with an eye for details. I'm still overall happy with my 5* jacket but I don't pretend it's anything it isn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42