Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TartuWolf

One Too Many
Despite multiple warnings, I went ahead and bought a 5 Star jacket to my measurements and requests. When I received it, I initially thought "this doesn't look too bad". Then I realised arms were 25mm too long, 15mm too skinny in forearm/wrist, arm lining wasn't what I asked for, neck diameter was 20mm too large, no 3D arms as requested, there was a small cut on an edge in the front centre, and a few other smaller issues.

Following this, I sent a friendly message to see if we could work something out. This was left unreplied to for 8 days before I put a PayPal case in (maybe premature but they had no issue replying straight away before this). Surprise surprise, I got an email offering 50% off a new one and was made to feel bad for opening my case. This went back and forth a few times with different options after I declined the 50% offer. This resulted in me finally accepting to pay postage for them to send me a new one because they wanted me to pay return postage (which I pointed out it wasn't a change of mind, it was because I didn't get what I paid for and it had some qc issues).

All in all, this has been a couple months of stress I wish I never put myself through. I'm currently waiting for the new one to be made. The product itself would not be horrible if things were right, but they just aren't. I have now started the hunt for a second hand higher quality jacket.
Looks like you went with the same model that I had:
Sorry to hear about your experience!
I can't imagine you being too excited about the incoming replacement. But I do hope it turns out better!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lot of people love Vanson leather, but I still have yet to a see something I like from them. I hope I find one I like to add to my collection, but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans) I’m going to have to pass until I see one in person to make sure it fits.
I was surprised to read this post because I think that Vanson makes some of the best fitting jackets out there (although you would never know this from looking at their catalog or website photos). The photo posted by @Bfd70 is a prime example of a good Vanson fit and I think that most of their jackets we see here fit well.
IMG_8475.jpeg

Here I am wearing my Vanson Commando a few years ago when my comb over was slightly more convincing. One of the trimmest jackets I own, and yet still quite comfortable to wear.

KBlake

One Too Many
I was surprised to read this post because I think that Vanson makes some of the best fitting jackets out there (although you would never know this from looking at their catalog or website photos). The photo posted by @Bfd70 is a prime example of a good Vanson fit and I think that most of their jackets we see here fit well. View attachment 639465
Here I am wearing my Vanson Commando a few years ago when my comb over was slightly more convincing. One of the trimmest jackets I own, and yet still quite comfortable to wear.
To me this jacket is too long on you.

El Marro

To me this jacket is too long on you.
Yeah, and who asked you?
just kidding, and you make a fair point. I actually held off on buying this jacket for a while because the back length is too long, made to work with low rise jeans, which I do not and never will wear. Having said that I feel better in a jacket that is too long rather than one that is too short. I have an awesome 1960s Cal Leather that I picked up here but every time I look down and see it floating above my belt buckle it bums me out.

KBlake

One Too Many
M
Yeah, and who asked you?
just kidding, and you make a fair point. I actually held off on buying this jacket for a while because the back length is too long, made to work with low rise jeans, which I do not and never will wear. Having said that I feel better in a jacket that is too long rather than one that is too short. I have an awesome 1960s Cal Leather that I picked up here but every time I look down and see it floating above my belt buckle it bums me out.
My Cal is also a half inch to an inch shorter than would be my preference but it makes a very flattering and masculine shape. Can you post a photo of you in yours?

El Marro

M

My Cal is also a half inch to an inch shorter than would be my preference but it makes a very flattering and masculine shape. Can you post a photo of you in yours?
I will find one and post it for you. I agree that the short length and the V taper of the Cal crosszips looks good.

Retserrof

New in Town
Lol, put in more money only to get yet another mediocre jacket that will most likely come with a new set of flaws.
Learning experience. You can strike gold with 5* if you are lucky and an expert. Your experience is par for the course for first timers with an eye for details. I'm still overall happy with my 5* jacket but I don't pretend it's anything it isn't.

Yep, I provided them a VERY thorough, very easy to read document and they missed the mark on multiple requests and measurements. They also pulled the old "let's leave the material or measuring tape with slack when measuring so it looks like it's bang on the requirements".

I continually told them if they had any questions or uncertainties to double check with me before going ahead, but they just never took that opportunity.

Retserrof

New in Town
I've never seen a single example of this. Some people are able to address the fit better than others but the leather, build quality and patterns are never what I would call gold. You could strike pot metal though.
Had 5* made mine with the measurements I actually gave them, they would be bang on for what I needed. For anyone who was wondering about 5* tolerances, they told me after I complained that they have a tolerance of 20mm in all measurements (still over tolerance in a couple dimensions anyway).

I'm not sure I ever saw a post talking about their tolerances previously compared to say Aero's more transparent tolerances. Wish I knew this as I could have specified +- sizing.

Had 5* made mine with the measurements I actually gave them, they would be bang on for what I needed. For anyone who was wondering about 5* tolerances, they told me after I complained that they have a tolerance of 20mm in all measurements (still over tolerance in a couple dimensions anyway).

I'm not sure I ever saw a post talking about their tolerances previously compared to say Aero's more transparent tolerances. Wish I knew this as I could have specified +- sizing.
Consider yourself lucky, you learned quickly. I can’t say the same for myself. I repeatedly banged my head against the 5 star wall before figuring it out. Embarrassing as it may be. At least you realized early it’s a futile pursuit. It took me WAY longer than it should have. After the first one I should’ve known. I’m embarrassed I didn’t.

A lot of people love Vanson leather, but I still have yet to a see something I like from them. I hope I find one I like to add to my collection, but seeing how bad they fit on everyone else (even vanson leather fans) I’m going to have to pass until I see one in person to make sure it fits.
This comment proves that you only exist in this trash can of a thread. I have yet to see an ill fitting Vanson posted here or anywhere frankly. This site alone is absolutely peppered with examples of Vanson fits that are well above anything made by almost any maker. Factually, my very best fitting jackets have always come from Vanson. I have never seen a single 5 Star jacket look even half as good as any Vanson ever posted here. Never. Not once.
IMG_3940.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_5290.jpeg

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_5150.jpeg
IMG_7061.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I just really really wanted something specifically made for my dimensions at a price I could afford. Got suckered in. Just like my woodworking hobby, I should have got something higher end "buy once, cry once".
Sadly in this hobby you keep crying even when you pay top dollar. Leather is a cruel mistress and if you spend time on this forum you become obsessed with having your measurements as perfect as you do in woodworking.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
So this 5 star company…

Sending in measurements can be hit or miss, and while the leather selection is good, the cutters can be overly thrifty when it comes to using up the stretchy belly hide?

Because I have long wanted a leather touring jacket, made up in the 3/4 length, four pocket, belted variety.

If I sent them my Barbour International A7 they could make me one in Leather?

(Not mine, taken from the net)
E3840098-C114-490C-8E60-BF8B0C1319D9.jpeg

bn1966

So this 5 star company…

Sending in measurements can be hit or miss, and while the leather selection is good, the cutters can be overly thrifty when it comes to using up the stretchy belly hide?

Because I have long wanted a leather touring jacket, made up in the 3/4 length, four pocket, belted variety.

If I sent them my Barbour International A7 they could make me one in Leather?

(Not mine, taken from the net)
View attachment 639950
The only 5* jacket that worked was when I sent them a ‘Trucker’ to clone in leather. The other two where measurements were given were a disaster. The numbers weren’t the same on what was received and therefore didn’t fit, one was so poorly made it went in the bin (got a full refund though) the other went cheap on eBay. The Trucker was returned once because the dye wasn’t ’fixed’ properly (is now) but has been fine since and regularly worn. Have gone back to saving up for Eastman jackets & would go Aero if I wanted another leather Trucker. On the VLJ forum a lot of folk have been happy with 5* flight jackets I probably wouldn’t be having experienced Eastmans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1