Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

TartuWolf

One Too Many
1 . Not one man anymore. In the interview he mentioned one person that has been there in FL together with Greg since the beginning. And another lady from Aero joined as an apprentice some time ago. Really sorry that I don't remember the names.
2 . I think the Aero mention was mean to convey that EVEN Aero (with many more people working) are experiencing large delays.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
1 . Not one man anymore. In the interview he mentioned one person that has been there in FL together with Greg since the beginning. And another lady from Aero joined as an apprentice some time ago. Really sorry that I don't remember the names.
Sam stopped working fulltime for him, he couldn't afford her anymore. She now helps out with emails on Saturday. Toni might do some part time work. She's not an apprentice by any means by the way, she has 10 years of experience.

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
You're comparing a one man operation to a company with fifteen or so employees?
Not sure what you understood but my intention I’d say was the opposite, I was quoted 8 weeks and it took 17.

Just like my two previous MTOs before that: Jakkrabbits boots that for whatever reason took like 3 weeks to ship after they sent me a video of the boots already finished, or how Crockett & Jones last year took twice as long as the original estimate because apparently the first pair they made got damaged in the final stages of production.

So yeah, MTOs can take much longer than anticipated even with established brands.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I don’t so much mind delays to the original plan, but I do mind lack of communication.

It doesn’t take much to keep track of pending orders and let customers know if there are unforeseen delays.
Also, I am much more open to delays if they can be explained with „market reasons“ as opposed to year another collab pushing individual orders back with unaccounted implications.

Not directed at Greg specifically, but I refuse to accept that as a customer I am required to send over my money and hope for the best.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I don’t so much mind delays to the original plan, but I do mind lack of communication.

It doesn’t take much to keep track of pending orders and let customers know if there are unforeseen delays.
Also, I am much more open to delays if they can be explained with „market reasons“ as opposed to year another collab pushing individual orders back with unaccounted implications.

Not directed at Greg specifically, but I refuse to accept that as a customer I am required to send over my money and hope for the best.
Status updates are also something that could pretty easily be automated by a CRM

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
<laughs in Goodwear>
I was thinking the same thing when I read Tom’s post. I have actually had nothing but good results from Good Wear but I have also experienced the spotty communication from John.
As a matter of fact I am in the queue for another one but I have not reached out to John about it, partly due to lack of inspiration and partly due to lack of funds…

Randomuser

New in Town
Anyone have the black Badalassi? I think I prefer the more matte finish (from what I’ve seen in pics) compared to the pigment Shinki. I’m just wondering if it squeaks at all? It seems Badalassi is usually pretty loud.

mumpy

A-List Customer
More people should demand refunds otherwise there is no incentive for the seller to stick to the agreed deadline. They get all the money up front, do you think they are killing themselves to deliver a jacket to a customer that doesn’t demand anything and is willing to wait twice the time? Most of these people don’t care about growing businesses or going around driving Ferraris so they are happy just doing what they like when they feel like it, not having to report to anybody with a customer waiting list of a few years out.

And on the other side of that, you have people willing to wait, justifying it by believing that the creators are artisans and that the work needs to be done right even when they can't even be arsed to reply to an email. Personally, I no longer bother with custom jackets. They are all overpriced anyway. I have an average build so I can OTR pretty easily. I can buy a Thedi just as good for 500 quid (75% cheaper) on ebay or classifieds without having to sacrifice a lamb in the process.

Last edited:

Jiantle

Familiar Face
Anyone have the black Badalassi? I think I prefer the more matte finish (from what I’ve seen in pics) compared to the pigment Shinki. I’m just wondering if it squeaks at all? It seems Badalassi is usually pretty loud.
I have it though I think Greg used Nappa for mine. Sounds quieter and has a more matte look compared to Aero's Nappa Lux (from pictures and videos, never owned an Aero in Badalassi before).

It's still pretty squeaky after owning it for 3/4 of a year.

Helix

Familiar Face
I don't think the matte Badalassi is available any more, at least it wasn't as of March this year when my jacket was produced. Had to go with the shiny and squeaky (Nappa Lux?) leather instead.

Boulderunner

New in Town
Napa Lux is some of the nicest leather I’ve ever had a jacket made from and my Mushmans is still so squeaky even after 3 years that my gf won’t let me wear it around her.

KBlake

One Too Many
More people should demand refunds otherwise there is no incentive for the seller to stick to the agreed deadline. They get all the money up front, do you think they are killing themselves to deliver a jacket to a customer that doesn’t demand anything and is willing to wait twice the time? Most of these people don’t care about growing businesses or going around driving Ferraris so they are happy just doing what they like when they feel like it, not having to report to anybody with a customer waiting list of a few years out.

And on the other side of that, you have people willing to wait, justifying it by believing that the creators are artisans and that the work needs to be done right even when they can't even be arsed to reply to an email. Personally, I no longer bother with custom jackets. They are all overpriced anyway. I have an average build so I can OTR pretty easily. I can buy a Thedi just as good for 500 quid (75% cheaper) on ebay or classifieds without having to sacrifice a lamb in the process.
I've bailed on a FL order twice now lol. I'm just never as patient as I think I will be.

Cheech

A-List Customer
FWIW, I wrote to Greg again regarding an expected production timeline (previously, he told me that he’d get started at the end of April). He got back to me immediately, indicating that he’s penciled in my jacket, a custom order, for a start of July 22nd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az