Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Explain the 3-Sphere to me.

Leather_nube

One of the Regulars
For those of you just opening this thread:
This thread is about questioning the very nature of REALITY.
Okay, that’s a big ask. (And it’s interesting to read the earlier comments.)
Some say it boils down to the following: Did consciousness emerge from the fundamental reality of space/time/matter? Or did space/time/matter emerge from the fundamental reality of consciousness?
This guy, Dr Donald Hoffman, is one of the smartest guys I know on the topic. He delves into it mathematically, but can discuss it in laymen’s terms.
Anyway, if you are at all interested in the topic, listen to the first two or three minutes of this interview and you may get hooked. Yes, he will answer the questions that arise from his first bold and shocking statements.
Whether or not you agree with him is another matter.

I listened to most of this today. I’ll have to go over it again a few times to understand it. Was inspirational though. I coded up a new evolutionary game theory model while I was listening. I think it has promise.

Creativity is weird sometimes.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me, the hypothesis that we live in a computer simulation generates a “so what?” The simulation seems to be so well done that it is indistinguishable from a universe created by god or a universe that appeared by random chance. Most importantly, the simulation is so well done that I think/believe I have a soul. And I’m not alone. So basically: who cares if it is a simulation? AND the question still remains: who (or what) created this grand simulation and how was it done? And why?

Monte.C

New in Town
It is my understanding that consciousness IS reality. Nothing exists except that it's witnessed by consciousness. This is called radical subjectivity. There is no objective reality. A thing doesn't exist except if it's being experienced. Does a tree make a sound...? You tell me. You just invented it. It now exists in your imagination, so you tell me about the sound it makes. If I leave an apple on the counter and go into the living room, then while I'm changing channels there is no apple on the counter. It might be more correct to suggest that the apple exists on the counter only as a field of possibility. It's a very strong possibility because I fully expect to find it there when I return, but it isn't certain. A stray cat might have snuck in and stolen it, or any of a myriad possibilities. When I go back in there and pick up the apple, it's once again certain.

Monte.C

New in Town
There is no spoon.
1727827741069.png

Monte.C

New in Town
For me, the hypothesis that we live in a computer simulation generates a “so what?” The simulation seems to be so well done that it is indistinguishable from a universe created by god or a universe that appeared by random chance. Most importantly, the simulation is so well done that I think/believe I have a soul. And I’m not alone. So basically: who cares if it is a simulation? AND the question still remains: who (or what) created this grand simulation and how was it done? And why?
1727827877192.png

Attachments

• 1727827825054.png
    1727827825054.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is my understanding that consciousness IS reality. Nothing exists except that it's witnessed by consciousness. This is called radical subjectivity. There is no objective reality. A thing doesn't exist except if it's being experienced. Does a tree make a sound...? You tell me. You just invented it. It now exists in your imagination, so you tell me about the sound it makes. If I leave an apple on the counter and go into the living room, then while I'm changing channels there is no apple on the counter. It might be more correct to suggest that the apple exists on the counter only as a field of possibility. It's a very strong possibility because I fully expect to find it there when I return, but it isn't certain. A stray cat might have snuck in and stolen it, or any of a myriad possibilities. When I go back in there and pick up the apple, it's once again certain.

The universe needs us conscious observers in order to exist. If there were no conscious observers to witness this vast universe, it would cease to exist. (Or so says one school of thought.). But who dreamed up us conscious observers? And how is it possible for billions of conscious observers to synchronize all the realities that they have ginned up out of their individual Consciousnesses? If we didn’t exist would it really be possible for absolutely nothing to exist?

:) :) :)

Monte.C

New in Town
The universe needs us conscious observers in order to exist. If there were no conscious observers to witness this vast universe, it would cease to exist. (Or so says one school of thought.). But who dreamed up us conscious observers? And how is it possible for billions of conscious observers to synchronize all the realities that they have ginned up out of their individual Consciousnesses? If we didn’t exist would it really be possible for absolutely nothing to exist?

:) :) :)
All is one and one is all, and you are what they call "God consciousness". This sensation of separateness is an illusion, as is being here bound by the limits of time and space. All is infinite, infinitely pure and right and correct. Having this limited experience allows you to take on your role as Creator. Experiencing limitation and experiencing wants and desires, things deemed desirable and undesirable (not to mention "good" and "evil") causes you to dream up new creations, new desires and preferences. This is Creation. Ultimately we aren't billions of conscious observers. It's an illusion.

Not arguing at all. Thanks for a bit of healthy discussion. I like leather jackets.

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josephjay21