Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm not an anti-Dodge dealer. I'm actually a fan of MoPar's, and all American cars. Its the Asian market, I don't like infiltrating ours.
ALL Mopars or just the good ones?
My wife just uttered the statement (earlier) "we need an old muscle car, how about a Road Runner?" :eusa_doh:
Of course after I told her they have an awful ride, and no options, she wasn't so sure.
I've steered her towards a 1968 Mustang Fastback, at least I can deal with that.
But unfortunately for me, the Lincoln Mark III is out. (for now)
Anyway, I'm not buying anything like that in the next year.
So for now, my wife will just have to bid on the Mustang via Ebay. It's a model...;)

Nobody makes anything good anymore.

ALL Mopars or just the good ones?

I got my first one at 16, when I started driving. My folks paid for the phone, because they insisted I had it, but I had to pay for the minutes.

At 18, I got a contract with US Cellular and I was much happier than with that Tracfone.

Good enough then. When did you get your first one then?

There's no such thing these days. Almost every car manufacturer sub-contracts their part manufacturing to the lowest bidder, which is usually found in a different country. Their headquarters might be located here in the U.S., but their parts are coming from all over the world.

But their profits stay here rather than go offshore much more so than ricemobiles. :p

At least the profits go to an American company. My Cadillac was built in Texas, and I believe my Silverado was built in Michigan. I know my Caprice, '51 Ford F-6, and '47 Olds 78 are American-made, too.

There's no such thing these days. Almost every car manufacturer sub-contracts their part manufacturing to the lowest bidder, which is usually found in a different country. Their headquarters might be located here in the U.S., but their parts are coming from all over the world.

This right here:

But their profits stay here rather than go offshore much more so than ricemobiles. :p

Yeah, well, when those profits start going into my bank account I'll care about such things; until then it doesn't mean spit to me. :D Besides, some of those profits go towards paying for the parts that were built overseas, so not all of the profits stay here.

Not that this is unique to the auto industry; I think manufacturing, regardless of the product, is quite possibly more of an international process now than it has ever been. The one thing I do know is that, in a personal car history that includes products made by Buick, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Hyundai, Plymouth, Saturn, and Volkswagen, my '07 Honda Ridgeline is the most reliable and versatile vehicle I've owned to date.

It still means a lot to me, not only in reality, but in the sake of tradition. We've had three foreign cars now in the course of my lifetime. A Renault, which was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen in my life. A 1986 Toyota SR5 pickup, great mechanically, but rusted if you looked at it funny. And just yesterday, we got a 2003 Toyota SR5, and the only reason for that is the fact it was free, and has a snowplow for the shop.

Our American cars have always treated us well and the only lemons of the many, many, many American cars we've had was a 1983 AMC Eagle that was junk from the day it was new and a 1986 Dodge Power Ram that had the life beat out of it before my brother bought it. Besides that, they've all been great automobiles, and I'm guessing this household has seen upward of 50 American cars in the driveway over the past 25 years. Maybe even more. I've had 15 or so just in the past 7.

Yeah, well, when those profits start going into my bank account I'll care about such things; until then it doesn't mean spit to me. :D Besides, some of those profits go towards paying for the parts that were built overseas, so not all of the profits stay here.

Not that this is unique to the auto industry; I think manufacturing, regardless of the product, is quite possibly more of an international process now than it has ever been. The one thing I do know is that, in a personal car history that includes products made by Buick, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Hyundai, Plymouth, Saturn, and Volkswagen, my '07 Honda Ridgeline is the most reliable and versatile vehicle I've owned to date.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It still means a lot to me, not only in reality, but in the sake of tradition. We've had three foreign cars now in the course of my lifetime. A Renault, which was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen in my life. A 1986 Toyota SR5 pickup, great mechanically, but rusted if you looked at it funny. And just yesterday, we got a 2003 Toyota SR5, and the only reason for that is the fact it was free, and has a snowplow for the shop.

Our American cars have always treated us well and the only lemons of the many, many, many American cars we've had was a 1983 AMC Eagle that was junk from the day it was new and a 1986 Dodge Power Ram that had the life beat out of it before my brother bought it. Besides that, they've all been great automobiles, and I'm guessing this household has seen upward of 50 American cars in the driveway over the past 25 years. Maybe even more. I've had 15 or so just in the past 7.
Some AMC Eagles were good, but not many.
Back when your brother got that Power Ram, or was it a Power Wagon, they were very strong performers.
Nowdays? You couldn't give me one. I had 25 Rams at work at one time, and we spent enough money on each that we essentially bought the truck twice!
Our of the 25, 4 made it to 150K, and I still have 3 of those in service (on occasion).
I'm not saying American cars are bad as a whole, but some brands have been disappointing in the past 5-10yrs.
Chevrolet has made a come back recently, with a build quality they should have had for a long time.
Unfortuately GM and Chrysler suffered in the 80's going into the 90's, causing the foreign cars to get a foot hold.
With the Toyota Forerunner for example, having an almost guaranteed 400K mile engine virtually trouble free, why would you buy American?
In fact the only GM vehicle I knew of that went that far was the Chevy Silverado V8 from 88-94.
Again, too bad the rest of GM wasn't that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun