Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hit this little guy on my way to work today and hit a possum on my way home last night. The only two animals I've ever hit with a car.

That's terrible Tom :( I can imagine how you feel, I have never hit an animal with my car but I've come close a few times. Those little birdies especially don't think much of hopping along in front of your tires...

William Stratford

A-List Customer
That is bad but when you think about it, airplane pilots have it even worse. Imagine a bird coming through the windshield at that kind of speed!:eusa_doh:

That reminds me of the story of the aircraft windscreen test engineers. The were wondering how to simulate a birdstrike until one of them suggested firing a turkey out of a compressed air cannon at the screen. Brilliant idea, they though, so they rigged it up, aimed it at the screen....and the turkey went straight through! This worried them a little, but thinking it could have just been a faulty piece of glass they set it up and tried again. Crash! Straight through again! By now they were more than a little concerned that there was a serious design fault, so they called in a supervisor and showed him. Bang went the cannon, crash went the turkey, straight through the windscreen. The room was silent as they all turned to the supervisor, who simply said...."perhaps you should defrost it first" :D

J.W.

A-List Customer
I ran over a rabbit once, at 5 a.m.

Speaking of dead animals: Last Sunday morning, a young jackdaw died in our garden after we tried unsuccessfully to feed him and today, another young jackdaw drowned in out pond. Now we're on a constant look-out for any young ones, who get to close to the water.

That reminds me of the story of the aircraft windscreen test engineers. The were wondering how to simulate a birdstrike until one of them suggested firing a turkey out of a compressed air cannon at the screen. Brilliant idea, they though, so they rigged it up, aimed it at the screen....and the turkey went straight through! This worried them a little, but thinking it could have just been a faulty piece of glass they set it up and tried again. Crash! Straight through again! By now they were more than a little concerned that there was a serious design fault, so they called in a supervisor and showed him. Bang went the cannon, crash went the turkey, straight through the windscreen. The room was silent as they all turned to the supervisor, who simply said...."perhaps you should defrost it first" :D

I heard about that story on Mythbusters. :p

Years ago on a warm summer night...I stopped after work (2nd shift)for a beer. A lady friend of mine asked to take a ride on the bike. A beautiful full moon lovely night. Clipping along about 50mph..we came over a hill on a back road...and 5 or 6 cows were standing all over the road(no time to slow down). Quickly downshifting..the loud Harley pipes spooked them..and they started bucking as I swerved around the herd trying to miss them all. Somehow I did! Stopping at the next stopsign on a steep grade..she yelled at me with excitement "Wow!..YOU sure know how to ride a motorcycle!!"...as I pulled away from the stopsign and missed 2nd gear. I was shaking so bad I think it took me a couple tries to find finally find it....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Years ago on a warm summer night...I stopped after work (2nd shift)for a beer. A lady friend of mine asked to take a ride on the bike. A beautiful full moon lovely night. Clipping along about 50mph..we came over a hill on a back road...and 5 or 6 cows were standing all over the road(no time to slow down). Quickly downshifting..the loud Harley pipes spooked them..and they started bucking as I swerved around the herd trying to miss them all. Somehow I did! Stopping at the next stopsign on a steep grade..she yelled at me with excitement "Wow!..YOU sure know how to ride a motorcycle!!"...as I pulled away from the stopsign and missed 2nd gear. I was shaking so bad I think it took me a couple tries to find finally find it....

Wow, that is talent, and on a motorcyle too! :eusa_clap

I hate downshifting, so I hope I never run into a herd of cows but if I do I'll remember that trick!

I watched a lady hit a turkey once with a little Toyota. I scared the daylights out of her when I stopped: I was driving this:
41340_434520239329_506159329_4958118_4684971_n.jpg

Try hitting a duck as it's flying at your car. :eeek: Hasn't happened to me personally, but with a pond beside the house it happens often.

Animal murderers!! lol

On the bright side, those tires are 22 years old, they are low on tread, and should be replaced anyhow.

Sorry to hear about your bad day Tommy, but yeah.... that bird had it worse :(

And that is no bull. :p

Wow, that is talent, and on a motorcyle too! :eusa_clap

I hate downshifting, so I hope I never run into a herd of cows but if I do I'll remember that trick!

..er..not so sure about 'talent' C-dot...I remember mainly freaked-out fright on my part. Something 'kicked in'. Maybe it was their crazy bucking that made my instincts quickly take over and look for any exit...[huh]:eeek:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Yea HD, animals on a motorcycle can be pretty frightening. Years ago I was riding my brand new bike (unfortunately it was a rice-burner and not a hog!), when a dog bolted out in front of me. With no time to react I t-boned him. I laid the bike down, but fortunately I was wearing a helmet, heavy jacket and gauntlet-style leather gloves so my only injury was a bruise on my butt. My new bike was banged up a bit, and the dog, unfortunately, did not survive the experience.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
..er..not so sure about 'talent' C-dot...I remember mainly freaked-out fright on my part. Something 'kicked in'. Maybe it was their crazy bucking that made my instincts quickly take over and look for any exit...[huh]:eeek:

Still sounds like inherent talent to me! Many people would have a deer-in-the-headlights reaction. :)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Yup, and I know it's not my fault, but I still feel terrible for it!

Awwww.....I know exactly how you feel. I hit one animal with my car a couple of years ago (at a very unfortunate time in my life too--I had just lost a family pet). I've never forgiven myself for it. I have a friend who's a animal activist and I happen to tell her about the event. She made me feel like such a horrible person. :(

I've had some near misses too. A rabbit, skunk, cats, squirrels, and possums. Stop running into the street my furry friends!

Awwww.....I know exactly how you feel. I hit one animal with my car a couple of years ago (at a very unfortunate time in my life too--I had just lost a family pet). I've never forgiven myself for it. I have a friend who's a animal activist and I happen to tell her about the event. She made me feel like such a horrible person. :(

I've had some near misses too. A rabbit, skunk, cats, squirrels, and possums. Stop running into the street my furry friends!

A skunk!?:eeek: I would rather run into a herd of cows. At least you wouldn't have to have your vehicle fumigated. :p

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
:wave:

Hello again everybody! I'm sorry I have been absent lately. I've been feeling bit out of sorts.

I've been trying to keep my mind off of work as much as I can. That place can be so depressing. So I've been doing quite a bit of "stress crafting" and occupying myself with my new hobby (buying lots of yarn! lol). I've also been watching the Hatfields & McCoys movie on the History channel.

Is anybody looking forward to the Great Gatsby movie coming out? My sister was asking me if I had seen the trailer and I had told her no. She then told me about a story she had read on the internet and in the trailer they spelled Ziegfeld Follies wrong! lol I hate to admit this, but I never read the book. So I asked my sister what it was about and her summary of the story was really funny.

zeigfeld-follies.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is anybody looking forward to the Great Gatsby movie coming out? My sister was asking me if I had seen the trailer and I had told her no. She then told me about a story she had read on the internet and in the trailer they spelled Ziegfeld Follies wrong! lol

Hi Deco Doll, its nice to see you around again! I hope you feel better soon, more in sorts than out of them. :)

ZEIGFELD. What a stupid mistake to make! I really hope they change that before the movie comes to theatres. I will probably still see the film so I can enjoy it/pick it apart as I see fit, but so far I'm not impressed with their attention to historical accuracy (it doesn't take much to make me unimpressed apparently!)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
A skunk!?:eeek: I would rather run into a herd of cows. At least you wouldn't have to have your vehicle fumigated. :p

I've always felt there was a skunk in our neighborhood that is determined to get me because I've had far too many close encounters with them (is it the same skunk or different ones, I'm not sure). I only got really close to hitting one with my car (which would have been really bad for so many reasons) one night on my way back home. I think I was only about 7 minutes away from my house.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Hi Deco Doll, its nice to see you around again! I hope you feel better soon, more in sorts than out of them. :)

ZEIGFELD. What a stupid mistake to make! I really hope they change that before the movie comes to theatres. I will probably still see the film so I can enjoy it/pick it apart as I see fit, but so far I'm not impressed with their attention to historical accuracy (it doesn't take much to make me unimpressed apparently!)

Hi C-Dot! :wave: Thank you. :)

Have you seen the trailer? I just watched it soon after my post and I'm very conflicted about it already. lol

BTW, the music is not working for me.

[video=youtube;yqxmhJU4nk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxmhJU4nk4[/video]

:wave:Hello again everybody! I'm sorry I have been absent lately. I've been feeling bit out of sorts. I've been trying to keep my mind off of work as much as I can. That place can be so depressing. So I've been doing quite a bit of "stress crafting" and occupying myself with my new hobby (buying lots of yarn! lol). I've also been watching the Hatfields & McCoys movie on the History channel...
I can totally relate. As life has thrown a few curve balls lately, my posting went with it. Interesting that the better things are, the more often I'm in the top-ten posters! Now, being in the pits, I see a definite correlation. :)Interested in what you think of the H&M? We're done with the first two episodes on DVR and have the finale tonight. We have really enjoyed it. Funny how Bill Paxton is basically the same character as he was in "Big Love". Who'd a thunk you could get type-cast in that role!
Hope you feel better - just an anonymous wish from another member in the same boat.Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe