Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EVERYTHING IS IN TEXAS

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Actually, there's a lot of films being filmed in Austin. Sin City, Alamo, Waking Life... I don't know about any others - that's just off the top of my head. Oh yea, and Pearl Harbor was filmed here in Corpus Christi.[huh]

And wow... I have lived in Texas all my life and never knew about the gems of Texas vintage. No one here (CC) knows what a Zoot Suit or a Fedora is unless you say "Pachucco" or mobster. And no one knows who Charlie Chaplin, Fred Astaire, or Clark Gable is. And the only vintage clothes in our thrift stores (in my city) are 70s, ugly 80s, and tacky shiny 90s clothes.

Thanks to this thread, I now know that my "country/state" is couth in some way. Everything seems to be in middle-northern texas. I have to get out and up more often...

Sunny

One Too Many
happyfilmluvguy said:
san_antonio_connally_ranch.jpg

Yes...I'm actually considering moving there....:p
You jest, but all that elbowroom is a BIG reason of why I love Texas. :eusa_clap

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just drove in from Killeen, Texas the other day. Made it in 36 hours, took so long becuase I stopped to sleep in a real bed. Passed West and the signs for the Czech bakery. I like Texas. I've always liked Kinky Friedman so I'm interested in the Governor's race there. Someday I'll have more time and money to visit longer and explore more stuff and places. I was busy all week cleaning hubby's apartment beforehe was deployed. Everything, however, is not BIGGER in Texas.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Interesting....

I hope there isn't yet another city named Hollywood put in yet another state.

Hollywood, TX?

That'll be interesting.

san_antonio_connally_ranch.jpg

Yes...I'm actually considering moving there....:p

We do have plenty of that here in Texas, but there's also...

...the Hill Country...
blair6.jpg

...the Piney Woods...
slide146.jpg

...Big Bend...
lostminesunrise.jpg

...the Gulf Coast...
tx-gulfcst.jpg

...big cities, like Fort Worth (not that I'm biased)...
skyline-03-24-06.jpg

fortworth1.jpg

...and things like that. :)

Texas and Texicans

A few years ago i went for business to San Antonio. When the conference ended I took a walk over to the Alamo, strolled the grounds and checked out the museum. Went to the statue out front and managed to put my hand on Davy Crockett's toe. Got all choked up about it too, becasue i have seen John Waynes movie of the Alamo. The movie is where I first heard the word Texican.

I have driven thru the pan handle on the way out to California the second time, and found the people to be polite and good natured. When I did customer service and got calls from Texas they were always polite and fine people to deal with, so my opinion of Texas is very high indeed.

A favorite local restaurant in Covina California is Called "A Taste of Texas" and it is a wonderful Tex-Mex Barbeque place. When ever i go there relocated Texans will always comment on how the food Tastes like Texas. And that is high praise too!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
You jest, but all that elbowroom is a BIG reason of why I love Texas. :eusa_clap

Who said I was jesting? Look at that and you try to kid yourself. ;)

"That land is my land, it's nobody elses land, from the Alamo, to Fort Worth art dec-io!"

Everybody!

Okay nevermind, I was trying to create a new anthem, but oh well.

Sunny

One Too Many
My mistake. :) I love the openness of rolling hills and being able to see the whole sky and feel the air moving. I like trees, but prefer them in isolation with lots of space around them. I feel smothered in the woods after a brief period.

Today is a lovely windy day, too. Winds 20-30 miles per hour, gusting to 45. I walked out this morning and had to avoid a small branch that had come down out of our pecan tree. I still love the wind!

Keep trying on the anthems. ;)

Viviene

Vendor
I lived in Austin for 3 years. I went to St. Edwards University and my sister went to Round Rock High School. I loved living in Texas simply because the people there think they are living in the best place in all the world.

I used to love the road signs along the highway that said "Drive Friendly." I loved going up to Lake Travis and picnicking with my family. I loved following the UT football games (this was back when Earl Campbell was there) and loved giving the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign to people after the games.

My parents were both in the army and met at Fort Sam Houston back in
1957. They were both medics, Dad from New York and Mom from Maryland. So you could say that if it weren't for Texas I wouldn't be here.

I visited the Alamo and was swallowed by a great sorrow while visiting as if the souls lost there reached out to me.

I love Texas!! Hook 'Em Horns!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
That Sam Houston statue kills me. It is on 45 just outside of Conroe. The first time I saw it, I had no idea it was there. A friend and I were driving down to a dance competition. Highway, lots of trees - then all of a sudden out of nowhere looms this massive alabaster statue. Freaked me out. If you aren't expecting it, it produces a major "What the...?" moment.

He should totally come to life and fight Godzilla, because that would be awesome. lol

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
That Sam Houston statue kills me. It is on 45 just outside of Conroe. The first time I saw it, I had no idea it was there. A friend and I were driving down to a dance competition. Highway, lots of trees - then all of a sudden out of nowhere looms this massive alabaster statue. Freaked me out. If you aren't expecting it, it produces a major "What the...?" moment.

He should totally come to life and fight Godzilla, because that would be awesome. lol

...with his trusty sidekick Giraffe Boy!

http://www.savvycenter.com/explorer/roadside/giraffestatue.htm

--Leslie

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Girl Friday said:
Sorry Leslie I tried to put the giraffe in there too, but the toungue...well it just looked dirty...[huh]

KongSamAndZilla.jpg

hurray!

But King Kong is bigger than Godzilla!

I think...

oh well, it's the empirezilla state building.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun