Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

No, I like wrinkles in these.
IMG_9179.jpeg
I only use shoe-trees in my dress shoes and wingtips.

Last edited:

m0nnster

New in Town
Hi all, new here. I’m looking for advice on these Lofgren engineers I got a couple months back. After getting these I realized I have quite narrow and low instep feet, which is something I hadn’t really thought about much with lace-ups. The fit seems good when standing up but when walking my feet slide forward inside the boot, pressing my toes against the cap. It happens especially downhill but it’s also noticeable on flat. I tried inserting half soles with some arch support and wearing thicker socks, which have helped a bit but the problem is still definitely there. I haven’t worn these a lot yet and I’m wondering if I still have hope of achieving a good fit after the heel and sole are properly formed or should I just pull the plug and look for low instep alternatives.

20240825_140357.jpg

Observe

One Too Many
Hi all, new here. I’m looking for advice on these Lofgren engineers I got a couple months back. After getting these I realized I have quite narrow and low instep feet, which is something I hadn’t really thought about much with lace-ups. The fit seems good when standing up but when walking my feet slide forward inside the boot, pressing my toes against the cap. It happens especially downhill but it’s also noticeable on flat. I tried inserting half soles with some arch support and wearing thicker socks, which have helped a bit but the problem is still definitely there. I haven’t worn these a lot yet and I’m wondering if I still have hope of achieving a good fit after the heel and sole are properly formed or should I just pull the plug and look for low instep alternatives.

View attachment 635388
Low instep and engineers generally don't mix. Maybe try some insoles? You could also punch some extra holes in the strap, but the strap will probably stretch more and you can only cinch down the top so much.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 635388
In my personal experience no. i have the same issue. Tried 5 brands. No luck.

Indigo Wave

New in Town

View attachment 635388
IMG_2245.jpeg

This brand provides variety of insoles. It (photo attached model )really helps for me and it is thin enough to keep the instep comfortably.

Last edited:

KBlake

One Too Many

View attachment 635388
You could punch one more hole in the instep strap.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
That never works for me because while it tightens up the instep it eats up too much space in the toes. 1/2 insoles just slide. I’ve given up.
Have you tried glueing them down? I had a similar issue, I used the Birkenstock Blue insole which is very built up around the heel/arch and use a little double sided tape. Ended up not needing to use them for my engineers after the footbed broke in which made the heel slip not too bad but it worked for my first few wears.

I still use the Birkenstock insole for a pair of derby shoes that are much too wide at the instep and the opening is also too wide.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Yes, i’ve used pedag 1/2 insoles at the suggestion of Neil from S&S. I just dont want to have to make modifications on $800+ footwear when there are so many boots and shoes that fit better. Strangely for slip on boots Lucchese western boots fit great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1