Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

KBlake

One Too Many
How much heel slip is acceptable in an engineer boot? I've heard some people say a certain amount is to be expected. Is that accurate?

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
How much heel slip is acceptable in an engineer boot? I've heard some people say a certain amount is to be expected. Is that accurate?
A small amount of slip is normal. I have 2 pairs. The slippage seems to lessen as the boots get worn in. It can be controlled by the thickness of your socks. I have particular socks that I wear with each pair.

Observe

One Too Many
I had to sell all my engineer boots after realizing my feet don't fit them. I have a wide forefoot, narrow heel and low instep. Think flipper feet. Most engineers are narrow toe, wide heel, high instep. My experience only extends to JL, Wesco and Attractions, but I doubt I'd fare any better with other brands, save for something custom or even bespoke, but I'm not interested in the price or wait for that. Hopefully your feet are less finicky than mine. If your Attractions aren't causing you trouble then you should be good to go. However, it took me years and many wasted dollars to admit to myself that engineers didn't work for me.

KBlake

One Too Many
I had to sell all my engineer boots after realizing my feet don't fit them. I have a wide forefoot, narrow heel and low instep. Think flipper feet. Most engineers are narrow toe, wide heel, high instep. My experience only extends to JL, Wesco and Attractions, but I doubt I'd fare any better with other brands, save for something custom or even bespoke, but I'm not interested in the price or wait for that. Hopefully your feet are less finicky than mine. If your Attractions aren't causing you trouble then you should be good to go. However, it took me years and many wasted dollars to admit to myself that engineers didn't work for me.
Im sorry to hear that. I have flat low volume feet with a low instep. I’ve only worn the attractions around the house at this point but they seem ok. Ideally I’d get a pair with a smaller instep.

Observe

One Too Many
Im sorry to hear that. I have flat low volume feet with a low instep. I’ve only worn the attractions around the house at this point but they seem ok. Ideally I’d get a pair with a smaller instep.
Not a big deal, I just stick with lace up boots these days.

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
I doubt I'd fare any better with other brands

I have a pair from Red Wings. Well, they fit like Red Wings. If Iron Rangers fit your feet, then their engineer model should also fit.

1724205670496.png

IMG_20240820_185618677~2.jpg

The boots I own, model 2992, are no longer available. But Red Wings still has an engineer boot.

1724205923042.png

I have this pair of Allen Edmonds. Because I lack any imagination whatsoever, I can describe them as fitting like Allen Edmonds. They look like an engineer boot. They are built like a dress shoe. The leather is not as thick and heavy as a work boot. These are really meant to be worn for the "look". They would not be durable enough for working on the railroads, mining, construction job sites, and motorcycle rides. Pretty sweet for a computer engineer, who rides a desk. I like them. Boots like this give a different "look" to your slacks, suits, and evening wear.

Still available from Allen Edmonds. I liked this boot so much, that I bought a 2nd pair. Very rarely, do I like a pair of shoes so much, that I had to have 2 pairs.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 18.44.09.png
Screenshot 2024-08-20 18.43.05.png
IMG_20240820_184733703~2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have a pair from Red Wings. Well, they fit like Red Wings. If Iron Rangers fit your feet, then their engineer model should also fit.

View attachment 634502

The boots I own, model 2992, are no longer available. But Red Wings still has an engineer boot.

View attachment 634503

I have this pair of Allen Edmonds. Because I lack any imagination whatsoever, I can describe them as fitting like Allen Edmonds. They look like an engineer boot. They are built like a dress shoe. The leather is not as thick and heavy as a work boot. These are really meant to be worn for the "look". They would not be durable enough for working on the railroads, mining, construction job sites, and motorcycle rides. Pretty sweet for a computer engineer, who rides a desk. I like them. Boots like this give a different "look" to your slacks, suits, and evening wear.

Still available from Allen Edmonds. I liked this boot so much, that I bought a 2nd pair. Very rarely, do I like a pair of shoes so much, that I had to have 2 pairs.

Interesting look to those AEs. They remind me somewhat of Lewis Leathers' "Mechanic Boot", their take on the classic, American engineer.

KBlake

One Too Many
Not a big deal, I just stick with lace up boots these days.
I’ve gotten rid of all my lace up boots. I have three kids and a dog so I’m constantly going in and out of the house, putting shoes on and taking them off. I just don’t have the patience to lace boots anymore. With my low instep getting in and out of engineers isn’t bad. Chelsea’s are the most convenient.

KBlake

One Too Many
So my role clubs arrived and they are outstanding. The fit is perfect and shape of the last is beautiful. Very almond shaped. One issue is what appears to be a stain on the toe track. Brian says this is a natural character of the leather due to the toe track process. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg

Last edited:

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
So my role clubs arrived and they are outstanding. The fit is perfect and shape of the last is beautiful. Very almond shaped. One issue is what appears to be a stain on the toe track. Brian says this is a natural character of the leather due to the toe track process. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
Congratulations! But we need some pics.

KBlake

One Too Many
I hate when boot leather development is asymmetrical. Tickles my ocd HARD
I hear you and am similarly afflicted lol. But I try to see it as an opportunity to appreciate things as they come. I try with varying degrees of success lol.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I have similar feet, very wide toes, narrow ankle and heel, but also a medium-large instep. I found more than other styles, engineers have more options for wider toes, while other shoes have sharper almond shape toes, engineers can often be found with more round toes. I'll usually wear a wide fit shoe, but then I'll have to lace extremely tight, in some cases I need to add leather heel grip pads as well.

I had massive problems with my first pair which turned me off engineers entirely until I got my Moto dress engineer, from top down, pretty round toe, side profile is not too tall as well, good middleground and works for my picky feet. They're one of my best fitting pairs but I was lucky I was able to try them on, they did have massive heel slip at first on account of my smaller heel/ankle, but it has subsided with wear.

The other pair I had are Benzein/Briselblack, I got it when they first released the model, so they used like a chelsea boot like shape but a smidge squared, still tapered a lot, extremely flat toebox, absolutely destroyed my feet and I thought no engineer would ever work for me after that.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
What pants do you all wear with your engineer boots?
I will wear any pants that fit over them, most often jeans and chinos. I wear them with flared jeans as well and it's pretty funky, everything I wear though, I need to have the hem sit basically covering the strap, any shorter and it makes my proportions look a bit weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1