Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Injunjack I really like those boots, I've coveted a pair of Wesco's for some time but I'll have to settle for my Chippewas. I like the soles the best, if I need to get my Chips resoled I'm throwing those on. I love my engineer boots, I wear them off the bike too, with a pair of jeans they just look like a nice set of boots. On the weekends away from work from September on I'm pretty much wearing my engineer boots.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jack - Thanks for the pics! I will definitely be ordering a pair of black Wesco's like yours at some point. Hopefully sooner than later - gotta make it through Christmas first!

I wear a large size (13D) so I have never seen much difference between the toe shape in the 9109 (Bump) and 9165 (modern) lasts. I think it is more noticeable in the smaller sizes, but at least in my perspective, the 9165 was plenty round and not very "low" in the toe. My current brown Wesco Boss boots use the 9165 last, and the toe is plenty "bumpy" for me. I think I will consider teh fire leather too. I will probably make the drive up to Wesco to chekc out the leathers before I make my decision. They are located about an hour north of me, although I have to take time off of work to go see them - they are open Monday through Thursday, 8am-4pm.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Recently picked up the John Lofgren & Co. Engineer Boots

1.JPG

11.JPG

14.JPG

9.JPG

...and modified the second of my two Mister Freedom "Road Champ" Engineer Boots

photo+2.JPG

photo+3.JPG

DSCN4998.JPG
Jesus those brown two tones are beautiful

art89b

Familiar Face
Awesome review! I love the look on the half sole. Hey, Jimmer when you get a small chance try to play with Photoshop, and try out the distressed color, so we can get a taste! lol.

705sole.png

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Awesome review! I love the look on the half sole. Hey, Jimmer when you get a small chance try to play with Photoshop, and try out the distressed color, so we can get a taste! lol.

705sole.png

Art - I can try when I have some time, but it's hard to imitate the mottled look of the distressed leather - I was just changing the colors in my previous Photoshop chop jobs.

By the way, where did you find that picture? I want to see more! Do you know if that is Chromexcel or just White's standard black leather? I have been planning on going through Wesco for my black boots, but the boots in that pic look so good, maybe I will be sticking with White's.... Tough choice!

- Jim

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Darn you Jimmer, now I want a pair.
Could you please post how much they cost?
If not, just PM me.
Do you need to go to a dealer to order them, or can you just do it through the White's site?
They seem to contradict themselves on this question.
Finally, can you take a few pix of you wearing them with jeans?
Thanks,
Lenny

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Lenny - My pair were built to the "standard" specs with on added cost options, and they cost me $420 out the door through Bakers (highly recommended, by the way - Kyle is fantastic to work with). My second pair are in the works with full distressed smooth uppers, natural heels and welts, double midsoles, and Vibram 705 half soles. Cost was $460 out the door. After seeing the picture above, I really want a black pair with the same specs. My wallet is crying but my feet love it. :)

To be fair, the new ones I have ordered are $50 cheaper than Wesco's with the same specs. I just keep wanting new color combos, which adds up quickly.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Thanks Jimmer.
I assume you mean "with OUT added cost options"
That's quite reasonable for a pair of custom fit boots.
I assume they were custom fit, right?
Or do they sell standard size 8 boots without measuring for example?
Where is Bakers?
How do I do the ordering process?
Do I need to visit a dealer?
We have one in NJ so should I just go there and order, or should I deal with Bakers on the phone?
Could you explain what those options are on your second pair and what they do for the boots/feet (natural heels and welts, double midsoles)?
And if you could get a pic or 2 wearing them with jeans, that'd be great.
Just wondering if they fit under standard Levis 505's or do they need the boot cut style to fit.
No rush man!
Sorry for all the questions and requests, but I've always wanted a good pair of custom boots.
I have a real pair of motorcycle boots in black for riding so I'll probably go for the brown ones.
They age and patina so much nicer than black.
Later,
Lenny

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Anyone know more about "heel squeeze"? My Wesco's slip a little and if it's possible to make this adjustment at home I'd be up for giving it a go.

Try adding heat to the counter. You can then pinch and mold the area to a narrower profile. As always, a little heat at first and then more if that wasn't enough.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks Jimmer.
I assume you mean "with OUT added cost options"
That's quite reasonable for a pair of custom fit boots.
I assume they were custom fit, right?
Or do they sell standard size 8 boots without measuring for example?
Where is Bakers?
How do I do the ordering process?
Do I need to visit a dealer?
We have one in NJ so should I just go there and order, or should I deal with Bakers on the phone?
Could you explain what those options are on your second pair and what they do for the boots/feet (natural heels and welts, double midsoles)?
And if you could get a pic or 2 wearing them with jeans, that'd be great.
Just wondering if they fit under standard Levis 505's or do they need the boot cut style to fit.
No rush man!
Sorry for all the questions and requests, but I've always wanted a good pair of custom boots.
I have a real pair of motorcycle boots in black for riding so I'll probably go for the brown ones.
They age and patina so much nicer than black.
Later,
Lenny

Lenny - let me see if I can ge tall of your questions in one response:

1. My boots had no added cost options. If you use Baker's website, you can choose options from drop down menus and the website will tally up the total cost.

2. Mine are a standard size. White's requires you to provide measurements and a tracing of your foot, or come in for a measurement and fitting. If a custom last works better for you, there is a one-time charge to make the last - I believe it's $90. Then they keep your custom last on file and use it on any future orders free of charge.

3. You can just order a standard size, but they will want to have your measurements to confirm the proper length and width (they do a full range of widths - A,B,C,D,E,EE, etc.)

4. Baker's Boots and Clothing is located in Eugene, OR. They also have a good website at http://www.bakershoe.com/ I mention them because they possess the rare combination of top notch, patient customer service people, and competitive pricing. Kyle Baker has been the point man for both of my orders, and he has been stellar to work with - very honest, accommodating of my requests, and professional.

5. You can place an order through the website or over the phone. I have emailed to ask specific questions, and we have gone back and forth from there.

6. If you have a stocking White's dealer, it would be worth at least dropping in for a fitting and to try some boots on. It will make the process easier so you can determine the best fit for you.

7. I am loyal to Baker's because they have taken good care of me. You may feel the same way about your local dealer. I would try to compare pricing and see how close they are.

8. My second pair feature double leather midsoles - that means I added a second layer of leather that is just under 1/4" thick that is glued on before the rubber outsole is glued and stitched on. This adds some extra rigidity when using half soles (the boots in the image above are built the same way). However, this extra stiffness makes the boots harder to break in, and increases heel slip until the leather midsole breaks in. "Natural" refers to the color of the stain used on the stacked leather heels and the exposed leather midsoles. Technically, White's uses a light colored stain which gives the heels and midsoles the pleasing light tan color (again, see the boots in the photo above. This is one thing that White's (and cobblers like Hukurokuju) does particuarly well. If you ask Wesco for natural midsoles and heels, they will give you the boots with raw sanded leather which looks almost white in color and gets dirty very quickly. They are literally giving you the boots with no stain at all applied to those parts.

9. If you have a size 8 foot, these boots will most likely fit under your jeans. I am a size 13 (12,5 in Whites), so the shafts of my boots are much larger in circumference than yours would be. I wear boot cut jeans almost exclusively, and I buy pants based on whether or not they fit over boots. I can't make any promises, but perhaps some of our smaller footed Loungers can give you a better answer.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
One more note - I have developed "champagne tastes on a beer budget" so I generally look for the best pricing on items. However, I do make a concerted effort to shout out the names of vendors that I have had good experiences with. High end footwear and jackets are a fairly small marketplace, so I like to advertise as much as I can for vendors that I feel deserve a larger market share. Price is obviously important to me, but customer service is big too. Always do what's best for you, but I will continue to unashamedly promote vendors who treat me well.

White's has made the boots that I am the most impressed with, and Baker's has treated me well, AND provided a very competitive price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe