Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer: Try putting some of the options reversed. ie. the distressed on the vamp and red or other colors above.--John

John -

I have been meaning to update this thread for a while. Unfortunately, White's has been somewhat resistant to doing two tone boots in the Nomad style. The only way they would make a two tone boot is if they make the toe and heel counter one color and all the straps and upper the contrasting color. In most of the two tone boots I have seen, the foot, heel counter, straps, and backstay are one color, and just the upper is the contrasting color.

They say that it is "too confusing" for their craftsmen to change the colors of various parts, particularly since this is a new style for them. I really don't want to come off as critical - it IS confusing, but if they can manage to do it with Smokejumpers, I would think it would be possible with an Engineer boot.

So in the end, I decided to make the whole boot in distressed smooth leather. I am hoping it will look kind of like the natural Chromexcel, but in a thicker, tougher leather. I could have gone to Wesco or Nick's and and gotten a two-tone pair, but White's is still my favorite bootmaker, and I would rather give them the business. I really hope they eventually open these up to more custom options - these boots really are fantastic, and more options would make them even better.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
That is unfortunate, I like the two tone look a lot! I suspect my next pair will be 2 tone just can't decide what. May have to go back to Wesco then. John

I am crossing my fingers and hoping that they ease up about it in the near future. I plan on telling Kyle at Baker's that he can have a standing order from me- as soon as they are willing to do two-tone, I will buy another pair. They have a history of custom options with the Smoke Jumper, so I really hope this is not out of the question for the Nomad.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Wescos...Brand new right oyt of the box.

Black fire leather
double midsole
Vibram 705
instep strap 2" longer
9109 last
1 lift lower heel
DSC_1429.jpg

DSC_1422.jpg

DSC_1418.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Injunjack, those are fantastic! I am planning on ordering a very similar pair in the not too distant future - black leather, double mids, vibram 705 soles. What made you choose the fire leather over the standard black?

Also, can you post a pic looking down on the toes? My current pair has uses teh 9165 last (the current, modern style Boss Last) as opposed to the 9109 bump toe last.

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Motorcycle/Engineer boots

Hey all,

Want to pick up a pair of m-cycle/engineer boots in the near future. I dont ride myself but I LOVE the look of these boots. I used to own a pair some years ago in my misspent yoof but I made the mistake of buying hardcore motorcycle boots that were not made for walking. They were awesome but not comfortable when legging it, which I did most of the time in those days.

This time out, I want some that are at least comfortable to walk in. I have found a few dealers on the bay that ship overseas and I am currently eyeing out some Chippewas and Fryes...

Are these both good to go or is one better than the other? Any others I should be looking at?

Cheers!

KGrHqVHJCcE7zBGZHqBPGkBSPhbw60_12.jpg

B7s3fMQB2kKGrHqRhQEyribNByBM0-oddw0_3.jpg

Last edited:

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
I had the same hesitation as you regarding 2 models from Red Wing.
The 2991 Engineer Boot and the 8111 Iron Ranger 8111.
Both have the same nitrile cork sole.
But the ankle is best held in the Iron Ranger, it is therefore I have chosen.
Please, Viewing the Forum, there are numerous testimonies on this stunning shoe.
Cheers,
F68

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I have those 6" Chippewa ankle boots in diff. color. Comfy as hell. They are far more better suited for walking than, I think, any engineers....and I have several pairs of engineer boots to choose from.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Injunjack, those are fantastic! I am planning on ordering a very similar pair in the not too distant future - black leather, double mids, vibram 705 soles. What made you choose the fire leather over the standard black?

Also, can you post a pic looking down on the toes? My current pair has uses teh 9165 last (the current, modern style Boss Last) as opposed to the 9109 bump toe last.

Jimmer
I chose fire leather as it's watertight....I ride...and often in rain ;) Also it should polish easier than Wescos normal black oli leather....
I try to remember to shoot a pic for you. Here's the best I have this moment..
DSC_1419.jpg

I have these in the pic below and black with steel toes. Both pairs are great for walking. I've worn them for entire days of walking and riding. Recommended!Only minor gripe is that the top straps are a bit flappy - the roughout leather is not as stiff as I'd like for that piece. Not enough of a gripe to give a thumbs down though, esp for the price.
KGrHqVHJCcE7zBGZHqBPGkBSPhbw60_12.jpg

Last edited:

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input! I really like the look of these...

I have these in the pic below and black with steel toes. Both pairs are great for walking. I've worn them for entire days of walking and riding. Recommended!Only minor gripe is that the top straps are a bit flappy - the roughout leather is not as stiff as I'd like for that piece. Not enough of a gripe to give a thumbs down though, esp for the price.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Warning: I'm stealing this photo from John @ Vintage Engineer Boots blog, for the sake of science.

Mister Freedoms on the left, John Lofgrens on the right.

4313750216ab11e2807c22000a1fba57_7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe