Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Good stuff!

You can't have too many derbies, Josh... :eeek: will be fun to see if it has that strange animal and Fray sweatband. With everyone using cellphones and tiny point and shoots with ultra wide lenses and major distortion, you can't believe much of what you see with regard to crown height and brim width. But I bet it will be interesting.

Perry, two intriguing auctions - looking forward to your reports.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Good stuff!

You can't have too many derbies, Josh... :eeek: will be fun to see if it has that strange animal and Fray sweatband. With everyone using cellphones and tiny point and shoots with ultra wide lenses and major distortion, you can't believe much of what you see with regard to crown height and brim width. But I bet it will be interesting.

Perry, two intriguing auctions - looking forward to your reports.

Thanks, Alan! I have my fingers crossed that this derby has a fray sweatband. Has the lounge witnessed a derby with a fray sweatband or do they only appear on soft hats?

scooter

Practically Family
I looked hard at that Valentine hat, Perry, but alas, no matter how much I stared, there was no way I can intimidate it into fitting my 7 1/2 head. Congrats on what looks to be a beauty!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The blue fedora in this lot has potential. Could be 1940s or earlier. Give the dusty felt a good brushing, clean the leather sweatband with some saddle soap, and hopefully you're good to go.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=9319502

Score! The gamble paid off. I finally received the hats this afternoon. As expected, the three black ones are modern wool felts: on the cheap side, but would make decent costume fedoras. I'll give them away to a local Goodwill.

But the BLUE one ... ah, well ... it's one of those early to mid 1930s hybrid 'homburg-fedoras', size 7 1/4, and (except for a lot of dust) the fur felt is in pristine condition. Has its original leather sweatband, but the maker's name and logo have been completely rubbed off with use. It was made for "McCormack's" hat store in Tacoma, Washington.

I'll post photos as soon as I have dusted the blue "homdora" off.

formed hat block with stand

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

block3.jpg

block4.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I won this CHAMOIS derby. I needed another black derby like I need a hole in my head. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy another black derby unless it was something unique, rare, or extremely old (1800's). This is the second Chamois brand hat that I've ever seen. Lefty had an extraordinary Chamois thin ribbon and ever since then I wanted one. I'm really curious to see the sweatband on this one.

CHAMOIS derby
Wow, nice find for sure!

I am waiting for a great find like that, and actually keep wishing for maybe the impossible. color wise, but I would love to find one that is a dark blue, with a contrasting lighter ribbon finish.

Mystic

Practically Family
Classic ebay seller response to questions about item for sale.......

seller email response:

"I sold this hat several weeks ago to a guy who didn't realize until after he had bought it that it is SMALL. But I boxed it up thinking he had bought it. So he backed out 10 days later and the package still sits here. Now I have 1 bid so I don't want to unwrap it to tell you the width of the brim when I imagine you are going to think it is too small to bid on anyway :) However it is tan or straw color - not white. Looks perfect but is small".

What the _ _ _ _ is this????? Thanks for the inquiry but I'm too lazy to get you an answer.......

TipTop

Practically Family
Classic ebay seller response to questions about item for sale.......

seller email response:

"I sold this hat several weeks ago to a guy who didn't realize until after he had bought it that it is SMALL. But I boxed it up thinking he had bought it. So he backed out 10 days later and the package still sits here. Now I have 1 bid so I don't want to unwrap it to tell you the width of the brim when I imagine you are going to think it is too small to bid on anyway :) However it is tan or straw color - not white. Looks perfect but is small".

What the _ _ _ _ is this????? Thanks for the inquiry but I'm too lazy to get you an answer.......

Dear Seller, Based on your response, I gather it fits you perfectly.

TipTop

Practically Family
Alan, those are works of art. I once had a retired pattern-maker on my staff and he loved wood-working like this; they were easy, compared to the highly technical, engineered patterns he used to make for machinery. And talk about fastidious...never try to hurry Henry along or tell him that was "close enough"; then you'd get a fine lecture.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting! Here's that sweat band:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47780-Join-quot-The-Fray-quot&p=1009929&viewfull=1#post1009929

I won this CHAMOIS derby. I needed another black derby like I need a hole in my head. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy another black derby unless it was something unique, rare, or extremely old (1800's). This is the second Chamois brand hat that I've ever seen. Lefty had an extraordinary Chamois thin ribbon and ever since then I wanted one. I'm really curious to see the sweatband on this one.

CHAMOIS derby

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
lol Alan, it took me about three straight minutes of looking at the listing to get that one. Ok, a misspelling, and then some stuff about initials and... oooohhhhh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82