Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Yikes... that's awful, Randall. I had a very similar thing happen last week shipping a hat (not selling it, so no refund to worry about, however). The box (also having excellent integrity and marked FRAGILE from a previous shipment) arrived at its destination completely crushed, and the hat though not damaged, arrived completely flat.

I'm nervous, as it's now back in transit. I wonder how I'll receive it.

I never write fragile, I'm superstitious about mailmen doing things to stuff that says that, just because.
You'll receive it in fine shape, Jeff. I'm sure that whoever sent it to you, packed it with extra care ;)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear about your loss. Personally, I think it best NOT to put FRAGILE on the box. Just pack as best you can, insure the item if valuable, and let the chips fall where they may.

Sound advice.

What really irks me is the fact that a delicate, historically interesting, cardboard hat box that has survived these 80-odd years is all of a sudden destroyed by careless (or even angry) hands. It's disheartening. I intend to ruffle some feathers at the post office, try to force a look at the chain of handlers who are responsible, etc. Perhaps it won't do any good, but if everyone shrugs their shoulders and writes off the experience as inevitable, nothing will change. Dammit, I want some accountability for a job poorly done!

Bob Dylan's song, "Buckets of Rain," said it best: "You do what you must do, and you do it well." Maybe postal employees haven't heard that one . . .

TipTop

Practically Family
Hope you can get entire package back, in a new box. That would be excellent evidence. The seller who sent my moth-eaten 7XClear Stetson to me did the sticks in the corner and a diagonal across the top. I gave him kudos for that, but not his description.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I never write fragile, I'm superstitious about mailmen doing things to stuff that says that, just because.
You'll receive it in fine shape, Jeff. I'm sure that whoever sent it to you, packed it with extra care ;)

:D

I have no doubt whatsoever! Of course, I kind of thought I had done the same in the first place. :eusa_doh:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

scooter

Practically Family
Well, thank you, Rick. I was certain I was right, but just needed a little reinforcement. I thought $50 bucks was a pretty reasonable investment for a 7 1/2 Cavanagh.

Great Fray, Alan.

Thanks.

I learned something today too, something I should have realized a lot of hats earlier. While I was pondering that Stetson Star imprint on the Fray sweatband and wondering if the stars were some sort of substitute for Xs, I counted 'em... thirteen. There are thirteen stars in the later crests too. Not sure why I didn't notice that before, but I didn't.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Very interesting Cav Lefty, but a high price for what may essentially be a rain hat. Although I guess if one does need a rain hat it probably doesn't get much better than a vintage Cav.

DJH, that is a very nice Cav in a good color with a quite rare wide brim.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks.

I learned something today too, something I should have realized a lot of hats earlier. While I was pondering that Stetson Star imprint on the Fray sweatband and wondering if the stars were some sort of substitute for Xs, I counted 'em... thirteen. There are thirteen stars in the later crests too. Not sure why I didn't notice that before, but I didn't.

Interesting observation. Stetson being in Philadelphia ties in nicely with the 13 star/original colonies/flag concept. Also, the later Stetson logo with a maple leaf ties in with their having operations in Canada and the maple leaf/canadian flag.

B

Mystic

Practically Family
Sound advice.

What really irks me is the fact that a delicate, historically interesting, cardboard hat box that has survived these 80-odd years is all of a sudden destroyed by careless (or even angry) hands. It's disheartening. I intend to ruffle some feathers at the post office, try to force a look at the chain of handlers who are responsible, etc. Perhaps it won't do any good, but if everyone shrugs their shoulders and writes off the experience as inevitable, nothing will change. Dammit, I want some accountability for a job poorly done!

Bob Dylan's song, "Buckets of Rain," said it best: "You do what you must do, and you do it well." Maybe postal employees haven't heard that one . . .

Shouldn't be surprised. Shoddy products, lousy, inept service, 'not my fault' attitude, and high prices has become the way of life in America.....the norm, not the exception.

Even, my newspaper delivery guy thinks dropping the paper at the street curb is worthy of a Christmas bonus. Actually "throwing" a newspaper is simply out of the question and too much to ask of a newspaper carrier.

I became a "disgruntled angry old man" a long time before I actually became old because of bringing less than acceptable service to people's attention and speaking up.

Uh-oh.....I'm off topic again.....

Sorry for the loss, Randall.

Despite the post office being in a very difficult pickle currently, the damage most likely came from weakened packaging material meeting sort facility automation and not from employee mishandling. It's pretty difficult for the consumer mailer to come up with proper packaging material unless you are a hoarder of corrugated or use it often enough to buy your boxes in 25s from Uline. A box made from 275lb test board should hold up well in a size suited for a hatbox. If the item is rare or valuable, double boxing is the safest way to ship. The conundrum is how much to invest in packaging a fragile item that sold for under $50. Writing fragile on the outside isn't going to accomplish much, but it isn't likely to incite attack from a disgruntled postal worker either.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure, but this looks to be the same model of canvas/duck material Cav I found a few years ago and sent off to Brad.

my pics in the Cavanagh Club

Thanks for posting that link, Lefty.
I have a really interesting derby that has the same kind of sweatband. Fished it out of the bay in the early summer last year. Your Cav and my Eilermann are the only examples I've seen of this canvasy-rubberized sweatband. What's your assessment on it? What's the material?

On a side note, this particular derby has a bit of side taper and a more flattened top that I (gasp) actually really enjoy. The photos I originally took don't appear all that tapered, but I swear the sides do a bit.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-of-Interest&p=1268741&viewfull=1#post1268741

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Sorry for the loss, Randall.

Despite the post office being in a very difficult pickle currently, the damage most likely came from weakened packaging material meeting sort facility automation and not from employee mishandling. It's pretty difficult for the consumer mailer to come up with proper packaging material unless you are a hoarder of corrugated or use it often enough to buy your boxes in 25s from Uline. A box made from 275lb test board should hold up well in a size suited for a hatbox. If the item is rare or valuable, double boxing is the safest way to ship. The conundrum is how much to invest in packaging a fragile item that sold for under $50. Writing fragile on the outside isn't going to accomplish much, but it isn't likely to incite attack from a disgruntled postal worker either.

That is all so very true! I just sat up late last night packing up the Hat Case I sold to a fine Lounger so that I can get it out in the US Mail, and I am telling you I approached packing it with the thoughts of "what if's" so much, I can only hope I have done enough to prevent any damages along the way of delivery to him. I even took pictures of how I packed it and yes, insurance is a must! I am sure it will be a bit costly in the long run, but I would rather have spent the extra time and materials packing something up to help it get where it needs to go in one piece. To date, I have not had any issues with the USPS either in getting or sending. My prayers are I never will, either! It is sad as all get out, Randooch had an issues with his Vintage hat box.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I won this CHAMOIS derby. I needed another black derby like I need a hole in my head. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy another black derby unless it was something unique, rare, or extremely old (1800's). This is the second Chamois brand hat that I've ever seen. Lefty had an extraordinary Chamois thin ribbon and ever since then I wanted one. I'm really curious to see the sweatband on this one.

CHAMOIS derby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82