Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I just cannot stand it any longer! Will no one here put up a bid for this silver Belly Resistol 35 western hat, sz 7 1/8, extra long oval?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290627375031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
The only thing stopping me is the brim edge - it appears to be bound, but I cannot tell for sure. Really nice hat, a 'BR 35' would have likely been a beaver blend, at least.

Pretty high opening price for a stiff wool blend in a smaller size . . .

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol 35 of c. 60's would likely be a nice Beaver or Nutria content--no wool. Contemporary of the late Stetson Twenty-Fives. Somewhat stiff but excellent quality.

barrowjh

One Too Many
randooch, somebody has bid on it, so I am a bit happier now. I suspect it will be a bit stiffer than the 1950s Resistols, but a BR (honoring original partners Byer & Rolnick) Beaver 35 should be a very nice beaver blend, not sure why you think there would be some wool involved. This hat should be a top-shelf hat, really nice fur felt (though it might be a little more stiff than 1950s felt). Maybe you are discouraging competition ;)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
The Knox 20, in the very large 7 5/8, that I won last week came in and I brought it to DelMonico's for a clean and blocking. I had them block it open crown so I could crease it myself. I like how it came out.
knox20sidesteamer.jpg

knox20frontsteamer.jpg

The quality of the felt is amazing. It feels like, as some of you have mentioned, like modeling clay. I think this hat is going to get a lot of wear.
knox20top.jpg

I am going to post more in the School of hard Knox thread.

Jeff

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I bid on that one, but not enough.

I may have overbid due to having recently read an article about how John B. Stetson tried to market featherweights to vendors before he struck big with the Boss of The Plains. That having been said, I don't have any real idea of the vintage of the hat. It doesn't have the 1915 world's fair designation that some have, so I'm unsure. Do you have any insight? Also, I'm curious who bought the $75 BIN Knox Derby with the sizing cord inside? I kind of wished I'd waited for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe