Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Whoo Hoo!

Finding a size 8 is hard enough. But, I finally got a vintage hat in my size. It's a Richman Brothers and, as you can see, it has a nice diamond crease and its wind trolley. The original box comes with it, too. I'll have to post some pics when it arrives!

Oh, the sweet thing was the final price: $15.50

6313328438_9c2118cbe2.jpg

The listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110764999283

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Did you ask if it is so tagged? Without a photo of the tag, I would be a little concerned that they just measured 8 inches across the oval.

I do hope it turns out to be the right size for you! :yo:

I know. I've already returned a "size 8" hat that turned out to have a size "M" tag inside it. I found out about this quite late and just bid on it, thinking I wouldn't have time to ask questions. So, I'll have to wait and see.

Justin B

One Too Many
I saw it. I watched it. I had to sit on my hands to keep from bidding. I wonder if I can block myself from ebay till after the new year?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I know. I've already returned a "size 8" hat that turned out to have a size "M" tag inside it. I found out about this quite late and just bid on it, thinking I wouldn't have time to ask questions. So, I'll have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed ... :pop2:

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Fingers crossed ... :pop2:

Awwww...RATS! I emailed the seller and she gave me info that tells me that the hat is really a 7½! Of course, the hat's already on its way to me.

Normally, I'd send it back and get a refund; but I might just hang on to it and resell it--either here or eBay. I know I can do a better job of selling with more photos and plenty of information about the hat.

Oh well. Easy come, easy go.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Awwww...RATS! I emailed the seller and she gave me info that tells me that the hat is really a 7½! Of course, the hat's already on its way to me.

Normally, I'd send it back and get a refund; but I might just hang on to it and resell it--either here or eBay. I know I can do a better job of selling with more photos and plenty of information about the hat.

Bummer for you, but you'll probably quintuple your money, even if it is a bit of a stingy.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Borso Featherweight

Hope someone here got this.
I went out to feed the 'mules & when I got back---> History! :mad:

He who hesitates is lost... and so on.

Someone got a sweet deal & a hella sweeeeeeet hat.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

I thought that could be the case. At the price you paid, it makes sense to resell rather than return it. And as others have already pointed out, you could even make a profit on the sale.

Still, I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't an 8 after all. Better luck next time ... Hang in there!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure why you're unhappy. I wouldn't pay $40 for it. It looks like it needs a lot of work before one would wear it.

I respectfully disagree. The foundations are sound, I see no popped or missing stitching on either ribbon or sweat. With some steam, I believe, you could have that ready to wear inside a half an hour. And it is a rare & wonderful model. As light as a butterfly's wing.

Felt is tough stuff- e.g. from a sub sunk in WW II------------->
slouch-hat-sheds-light-on-disaster-1.jpg

Felt hat recovered from the Titanic------->
titanichat.jpg

Anyway, I still think it would've been a nice score. That is a $300 hat... with a little help.

EggHead

Practically Family
Rick, I see your point. I was looking at it from a purely utilitarian point of view. I buy hats to wear and if it takes me time or more money to clean/fix it then I don't pay more.
Randooch, I am perhaps not that good at making such hats look good in 10 minutes. It takes me usually 2 evenings to clean/steam/shape the hat into something I would wear. And if it involves sewing or stitching -forget it.

Also, I would respectfully disagree about an easy sell of such refurbished hats for $300. I have seen a number of postings here for Borsalino's for around $200-250, I don't remember loungers going for them. Yes, occasionally a hat can be sold for $250 plus, but then for $300 one can order a custom beaver hat.

Cheers!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A custom $300+ hat will always be the same felt. To my knowledge, all of the custom hatters in the US, save Optimo, use Winchester felt. There's nothing wrong with Winchester felt, but it means that the difference between the felt of a hat from Art, TonyB, Black Sheep, Falcon Park, etc. is going to be small. The variation in vintage felt is huge as to density, thickness, color, etc. IMO, anyone willing to pay $300+ for a custom, but unwilling to pay that much for a high-end, vintage Borso or Stetson (when we're talking large sizes), is paying a heck of a lot for a pretty ribbon and some initials in a sweatband.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I am glad that I have very few hats left to sell. Just got this email from the guy who bought my Fabroc. Instead of emailing immediately to ask for a refund, I get this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250919899586

"Hat had considerably more than some staining on ribbon. Both ribbon and binding on brim were stained considerably, going through to the back side of ribbon, hat needs complete cleaning and reblock with ribbon replacement. This is my best guess but I have forwarded it to a hatter for a professional opinion. With the lighting on pic these stains can not be seen."

What do you think this guy wants? For me to pay for reblocking his hat and replacing the ribbon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe