Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Was it one of you fine gents that outbid me on that size 7 1/2 Mallory bowler? I thought my $93 bid would do the trick. Sigh.

It was not this 7-1/2 melon head who took it away from you in the last five seconds. Sorry you did not win that lid, Randall. I was interested in bidding on it, but it is just a bit too narrow for me so I passed.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I saw that one and it is a nice and unusual hat.
The red liner is a new one on me in a fedora. Does that brand it as a Canadian or other non-US manufacture?
The double rows of stitching on brim inside the bound edge are also something I have not seen before.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its a USA Stetson. I have the same hat except the ribbon and liner are navy blue. Nicest Stetson Royal DeLuxe I have handled(smooth type finish).

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Big price for an interesting, but small hat that's not a Whippet (not mine).
$(KGrHqR,!h!E6Zf-pYFIBOsuO71,8w~~60_3.JPG

Shame HatsEnough was kicked out, I would have liked to have read his thoughts on this one when he gets it.
Beautiful hat but, as you mention, big price.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Had a crack at this great old Stetson with a $50 BIN this morning, but passed due to uncertainty with size. Probably should have pulled the trigger as it appears to be a larger size based upon proportions, and it looks to be '30s Standard or Select Quality. Hope a fellow lounger picked it up as I would love to see better photos of it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyJ, that looks like a find. Love the decorative stitching! RichardH, that fabric sweat ought to be interesting.

And I'm with Al: who won that Stetson, and what size is it? I wonder if Ebay will ever dry up. Nah!

mattface

Practically Family
I got these two 6 3/4 hats for my sweetie on ebay, A Knox and an Adam, for $20 shipped! Wasn't too impressed with how the seller packaged them. :eeek:

Turned out to be pretty nice hats though! :D

Walt

One of the Regulars
I got these two 6 3/4 hats for my sweetie on ebay, A Knox and an Adam, for $20 shipped! Wasn't too impressed with how the seller packaged them. :eeek:

Glad you were able recover those hats! So I'm curious, what kind of feedback do you give for the seller that does that? Given that they came out ok and the price was cheap no loss (other than some time to deal with it), but such stupidity on the part of the seller sure is annoying.

Some people are sure "challenged" when it comes to packaging...putting a hat into an envelope---crazy. I wonder if the seller was mad they didn't make much on the hats so went cheap on the packing/shipping. What did they charge for shipping? Since it generally is going to pretty much cost in the neighborhood of at least $10-$15 to ship a hat in a large enough regular shipping box in the lower 48 I always ask the seller before paying on a won auction about sub $10 shipping that they don't make the hat fit into a too small box...but I've never thought about someone who would be enough of a moron to use an envelope!

I've had a few mishaps though nothing that severe. Mostly the idiots that mashes or folds the brims all up of a hat down to fit in a box (one that really annoyed me was putting dents in the crown of a bowler to make it fit a box not tall enough...).

mattface

Practically Family
Glad you were able recover those hats! So I'm curious, what kind of feedback do you give for the seller that does that? Given that they came out ok and the price was cheap no loss (other than some time to deal with it), but such stupidity on the part of the seller sure is annoying.

Some people are sure "challenged" when it comes to packaging...putting a hat into an envelope---crazy. I wonder if the seller was mad they didn't make much on the hats so went cheap on the packing/shipping. What did they charge for shipping? Since it generally is going to pretty much cost in the neighborhood of at least $10-$15 to ship a hat in a large enough regular shipping box in the lower 48 I always ask the seller before paying on a won auction about sub $10 shipping that they don't make the hat fit into a too small box...but I've never thought about someone who would be enough of a moron to use an envelope!

I've had a few mishaps though nothing that severe. Mostly the idiots that mashes or folds the brims all up of a hat down to fit in a box (one that really annoyed me was putting dents in the crown of a bowler to make it fit a box not tall enough...).

I left neutral feedback which I almost never do. I just couldn't bring myself to remain quiet or leave positive feedback about that. The feedback said: "nice hats stupid packaging. You just DON'T jam fine hats into an envelope".

I bought one hat for $10 with $5 shipping, but the sdeller offered to throw in a second hat for $5 more. I WAS suspicious about the shipping fee being only $5. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have asked about it, but it never occurred to me that anyone would stuff 2 hats into a padded envelope. I would have been happy to pay more for shipping if the seller had asked rather than receive them in an envelope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe