Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
...who the hell is gonna buy that HUGE Borso over on the Bay (Size 8).

big-heed.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
OK, back on track..........who the hell is gonna buy that HUGE Borso over on the Bay (Size 8). Man, I never wished my head was any bigger than a 7 5/8 LO but that hat is beautiful!!!!

Is live auction talk really back on track? My how the new and improved Lounge policy has really changed things.

Amusing pic MC ...

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
You should have seen the 8-1/2 '30s Mallory I had four years ago. That's nearly 27" around the sweatband. I've never seen bigger.

And amazingly, I sold it to someone who it fit. That was back in the days when the lounge was against collecting for historical interest and against any dealing.Caught a lot of flak and got a lot of angry PMs when I posted it and ended up later selling it for way under what it would have been worth, even in a much smaller size, just to have people off my back. I'm glad someone's wearing it, but it's one of the only hats I've sold that I regret having done so. If it weren't for the collecting and all the buying/selling/comparing done by members here, I don't think we would know half of what we do. How times have changed.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'll tell you who: the guy whose hat size is 6 7/8 and has just lost a hat auction to another guy (whose hat size is, say, 7 1/2) ... who bought the 6 7/8 hat for historical interest, not for wearing.

Who said, "It's a free country"? Whoever it was, I agree with that sentiment. Besides, that 6 7/8 guy would eventually wear the hat out, but the collector would extend its life 'til HIS death, whereupon the same hat might wind up in the thrift store nearest YOU!

HatsEnough

Banned
I'll tell you who: the guy whose hat size is 6 7/8 and has just lost a hat auction to another guy (whose hat size is, say, 7 1/2) ... who bought the 6 7/8 hat for historical interest, not for wearing.

All three of those 6-7/8 guys can lump it!

Know what I hate? I hate guys that buy a 100-year-old hat, then rip out the guts, re-do the sweatband, change the crease, cut down the brim, and put on a new ribbon just so they can wear it. So neyaaa! :)

(edit to add: and I am a size 7 guy that sometimes buys a 6-7/8 to give it a tug to be able to wear it, by the way)

HatsEnough

Banned
There's room for pure wearing and there's room for pure preserving/displaying/studying.

And there's room for a mixture, too. I have a few hats I bought just because they are over 100 years old and I'll never wear them. I have over 100 hats at this point, so I've been getting more into the "interesting" as opposed to the merely wearable. However, I have yet to buy hats I absolutely cannot wear size-wise. I think I will not likely buy a hat too large for me simply because at my head size (size 7) all the hats are cheaper. So, buying a big hat and paying tall cash doesn't make much sense.

But, I think I agree with you on one point. I can see a small headed feller getting mad at loosing an historical treasure to a guy with a fat head! LOL

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Know what I hate? I hate guys that buy a 100-year-old hat, then rip out the guts, re-do the sweatband, change the crease, cut down the brim, and put on a new ribbon just so they can wear it. So neyaaa! :)

I haven't quite done this, although (thanks to Dinerman) I do have a hat about 100 years old and I did change the crease a little) but would if I had to.

Dont have any need for a hat in a display case, if I bought the old hat, I'd want to wear it so if the sweatband was shot I'd replace it or get a new liner if the old one was disgusting.

If someone really wants the preserve something, exactly as it is, they need to buy it first.

HatsEnough

Banned
You know, it seems that the most common Whippet we see on ebay is the gray one with the black ribbon. Obviously, if the bay is any indication, that was the most sold Whippet configuration. It would be interesting to know how many of the other many color combos were made and sold.

HatsEnough

Banned
If someone really wants the preserve something, exactly as it is, they need to buy it first.

Notice I didn't say that it should somehow not be allowed for someone to buy an antique hat that they mutilate just so they can wear it today. I just said I hate it when that happens.

HatsEnough

Banned
Come on, guys. We have to admit that every hat bought is a hat lost... eventually.

But, so what? That is why hats are made. People buy them. They wear them. They wear them out. They throw them away. They buy a new hat.

Or they buy them. They wear them. They die and their relatives throw them away.

Whatever.

Let's face the facts. When WE buy a hat, WE are some of the few human beings that care a whit about them as something with intrinsic worth. And when we are gone... bye bye hat. Think of the millions and millions of hats that are loooooong gone. The ones we have are the far and few between.

A little perspective is in order, here.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Regarding the apparent new ebay feature of deleting photos immediately: I just noticed that as well and man that burns me! They should be keeping them for at least the 60 days feedback/challenge period. Typical---raise fees and cut services/quality---that's just what has made corporations great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe