Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

SteveAS

Practically Family
Not mine: what looks to be an older Dobbs Twenty with a 2.5" brim for $15, plus shipping?! I guess the hole from the little pin put others off, too. I wasn't sure how well a hole like that could be worked out or I'd have bid on it. [huh]

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
I picked up an Akubra The Boss on ebay for about $30. I love this hat! Its in Tanbark Brown I think, and it came nearly new. Ive already begun wearing the hell out of this hat in our scortching 110 degree weather. Ive gtten several compliments on it.

1e33af0b.jpg

26f39086.jpg

c2c93b1d.jpg

d602f241.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I picked up this 1950s size 59cm dark gray Mayser for $17.00 including shipping. It went low because of the the rumpled appearance but a good steaming will fix that. The felt finish, liner and sweatband appear to be in good condition. The after shots should be interesting. :)

6107774416_1e3b4fa542_b.jpg

6107227743_53ddbebeed_b.jpg

Good deal! Looks pretty much like my black one. :eusa_clap

T Rick

Practically Family
Third time is NOT the charm...

Well, this Whippet finally sold. I was the high bidder the last two times it was listed, but it failed to meet the reserve.

This time, the reserve was lowered more (to $130), and I again bid. Outbid 8 seconds before my own snipe, by a heavy hitter with an eBay score of 83,513. I presume this Buyer is also a Seller.... Second place this time. Oh well.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Well, this Whippet finally sold. I was the high bidder the last two times it was listed, but it failed to meet the reserve.

This time, the reserve was lowered more (to $130), and I again bid. Outbid 8 seconds before my own snipe, by a heavy hitter with an eBay score of 83,513. I presume this Buyer is also a Seller.... Second place this time. Oh well.

So the heavy hitter either bought it to wear himself, or to resell, or maybe as a gift? Might not be the last we see of that one.

T Rick

Practically Family
I think you'll find the one you bought the other will prove to be the better hat anyway. Much more interesting colours and more character.
I agree. I'd prefer the larger brim anyway, just that I'd eventually like one in gray too (no hurry, just looked like a nice example).

So the heavy hitter either bought it to wear himself, or to resell, or maybe as a gift? Might not be the last we see of that one.
Thought the same. If he bought it to sell on speculation, he may or may not make out (hence, speculation I guess). The Col. had it pretty decently listed and photographed, though the ad end time could have been a bit better (from a Sellers perspective). The Col. says he paid I think $180 for it, hence the reserve being higher the last two times. If the heavy hitter lists it for resale, my bid will actually be less this time. We'll see if he can "Whippet" into a frenzy (sorry, hard for me to resist a bad pun :D).

T Rick

Practically Family
When vintage hat is listed as "wool" is it wool or fur? If it looks somewhat like fur in the pictures and with a liner.
Thanks!

for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/22084211905...WX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2648#ht_500wt_1261

Not my size, but I liked the color.
Could go either way. There are many uneducated eBay Sellers (WRT hats) that list erroneously as wool (they seem to think that's just what hats are made of, and are ignorant to fur felt). Then again, they sometimes are wool. Best to see shots of something giving a clue (100% wool label for example, or often a label or imprint reading "fur felt").

If you notify the Seller, they may get a revelation and suddenly think what they have is pure gold. I always try to determine by asking for additional pics or ask them to let me know of any other markings. Sometimes they won't include that in the listing.

The one you show is almost certainly fur felt I think, and I like the look of it.

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
When vintage hat is listed as "wool" is it wool or fur? Not my size, but I liked the color.

Yeah, if as is normally the case the color of the felt in the photo of the liner is the accurate one, it's going to be a beauty.

The one show show is almost certainly fur felt I think, and I like the look of it.

I was certain enough that it's fur felt to bid on it; I'll find out for sure soon enough! ;)

Cheers,
Tom

Omne

Familiar Face
Yeah, if as is normally the case the color of the felt in the photo of the liner is the accurate one, it's going to be a beauty.

I was certain enough that it's fur felt to bid on it; I'll find out for sure soon enough! ;)

Cheers,
Tom

I was too, but I came in under....:p

Brando11

A-List Customer
Finally- we may have found the one hat in the world that even you cannot make look good. I do, however, admire your courage in showing us-

Randooch had this one right on the money... this Borso was never worn because the brim was too wide, so someone fixed it good, but not well. I don't mind the 1 3/4" brim length, but it is going to take some heavy work with sandpaper to deal with the lumpy trim job. Liner protector is oil cloth, not tissue paper.

cutborso1.jpg

cutborso3.jpg

cutborso2.jpg

cutborso4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe