Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won these on ebay, one a few days ago and one today, the first two hats I've won on ebay. I've been wanting a bonafide Open Road for my collection, so I bid on three thinking I'd win one. Guess what, I won two. I kind of feel I paid too much for the first one, but I was satisfied with the second's price. I'd like to know what you think of the hats. They look like newer hats to me, but I'm very much an Open Road novice and I don't have either in hand yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230310096870

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320321687939

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I was just now outbid on a dark grey vintage Dobbs Fifth Avenue. Oh well, it just frees up the funds for the next lid on my watch list.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
I was just now outbid on a dark grey vintage Dobbs Fifth Avenue. Oh well, it just frees up the funds for the next lid on my watch list.
My eyes are on her, if you're speaking of the one I think you are (bound black brim?)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Garrett, $51.00 is actually a very good price for a Borsalino. Good buy.
1493_1.JPG
192b_1.JPG

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Hat Head said:
I just won my first auction for a vintage hat:

Link to Item

Got it cheaply enough, even with shipping, and I have some PayPal balance remaining from some items I sold a while ago that's been burning a hole in my pocket.

The brim is a little thinner than I would usually shop for, but looks like a good lid.

Any opinions or comments (positive or negative) are greatly welcome.

Here's my new vintage Resistol 990 that I won on eBay, and just received this evening (I apologize for the lousy cell phone pictures. I also apologize for the quick, unskilled bash).

Hat1.jpg

Hat2.jpg

Great hat in great shape for it's age, but it could use a cleaning (smells like anything does that's been stored in a box in a closet/attic/basement - musty and dusty).

Where does one go to get a hat cleaned? Would Batsakes in Cincinnati do such a thing (Gus Miller's shop)?

Hat fits great, very soft and pliable fur felt. I've never shaped or bashed a hat before, and this one needs it. Seems to like the center crease, but it's pliable enough that I could do nearly anything with it. Thinking about a pork-pie, since it's got such a stingy brim.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
bolthead said:
I've been wanting one, like forever.....and get this, it's a "Whippet" clone. :D here's the link-----> Schoble

I'll post pics when it arrives, I'm phyched.

That is an awesome looking hat! I sometimes wish that my melon was not so large (7 3/8). There are so many vintage hats in smaller sizes.

Garrett

Bolt.....

You'll love this man, I intentionally did NOT bid on this hat because I won the last two whippets on the bay in our size and remembered that you had wanted the brown one. Glad you won it buddy! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

bolthead said:
I've been wanting one, like forever.....and get this, it's a "Whippet" clone. :D here's the link-----> Schoble

I'll post pics when it arrives, I'm phyched.

bolthead

Thanks Garrett....

Garrett said:
You'll love this man, I intentionally did NOT bid on this hat because I won the last two whippets on the bay in our size and remembered that you had wanted the brown one. Glad you won it buddy! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
....much appreciated. I'm surprised there were only 3 bids. Rilico's hats usually go for a few bucks more than what got this one at.

Jimmy, I know that this is your favorite vintage combination....you told me in the past this about my Stingy Whippet. ;)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
bolthead said:
....much appreciated. I'm surprised there were only 3 bids. Rilico's hats usually go for a few bucks more than what got this one at.

Jimmy, I know that this is your favorite vintage combination....you told me in the past this about my Stingy Whippet. ;)

Nice buy! Who is this Rilico guy anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe