Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I've measured several times and keep getting between 21.5" and 21.75" ... so I guess we're talking between a 6 3/4 to a 6 7/8. It's got a 2 inch brim and 2 inch ribbon. The seller did list a measurement as 'just over 21" ' so i knew it was going to end up small, I just didn't know how small exactly.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like a re-creased trooper hat that someone has turned the brim down on. Probably very heavy, thick, stiff felt. Stratton's the big maker, but I'm not sure if that's one of theirs.

Not beaver. Not from the '30s.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Just shipped back what was billed as a Stetson in original box." "Twas supposedly 23 inches inside diameter, actually was 21.5, and it wasn't a Stetson. It'll doubtless show up again with the description including, "this was my father's hat. . ." and from some town in Texas, I forget the name. I did beat the dust clouds out of it for the next buyer. Lost the return shipping and the time to unpack and repack and go to the P.O. Man alive, I sure wish folks could use a measuring tape and their eyeballs.

There, I'm done griping.:mad:

On a brighter note, the Flechet I won for mere peanuts is quite a comfy (if floppy) chapeau.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Here's a Royal Stetson I just picked up on ebay for $65.

430550775_hFq6d-L.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You did more than OK, kaosharper1. That is a really nice vintage Borso -- looks to be in great condition. Well done! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

kaosharper1

One Too Many
carter said:
That's an excellent price, kaosharper1. Well done! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks! The Buy-it-now price was too good to pass up. Hopefully its as good as it looks in the pictures. Any advice on how to date it when it arrives? It does look vintage, but I'm skeptical about the 50 year claim.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Nice looking hat you've found there, kaosharper1. =)

Thanks Jimmy. It seems like good vintage 7 1/2 hats are a rare occurrence, so I had to jump on this one.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
This item just ended on the UK Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380084481964

It's not often (in fact, only twice that I've seen) that a hat comes up on eBay UK that is my size, and of an age and style I'm looking for (tall crown, wide ribbon, etc.). I emailed the seller twice asking if he'd accept a postal order instead of a personal cheque, and never recieved a response. Other sellers have not had a problem with that, but I'm very cautious about payment, so I didn't bid. Rather dissapointed about that. [huh]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
This item just ended on the UK Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380084481964

It's not often (in fact, only twice that I've seen) that a hat comes up on eBay UK that is my size, and of an age and style I'm looking for (tall crown, wide ribbon, etc.). I emailed the seller twice asking if he'd accept a postal order instead of a personal cheque, and never recieved a response. Other sellers have not had a problem with that, but I'm very cautious about payment, so I didn't bid. Rather dissapointed about that. [huh]

personal cheque ? ...are you serious? you let that go for a money order...jeesh![huh] :eek:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The seller only indicated PayPal, which I don't have, and personal cheque. Since I don't have a checkbook the only way I pay is by postal order. Since postal order is an option for sellers to mark as accepted, I wanted to be 100% sure before I bid. Overcautious of me, I suppose, but there it is. What irks me is that the seller never responded to my question.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have gone quite that high anyway, so I hope whoever won it enjoys it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
Thanks! The Buy-it-now price was too good to pass up. Hopefully its as good as it looks in the pictures. Any advice on how to date it when it arrives? It does look vintage, but I'm skeptical about the 50 year claim.

The presence of the corrugation at the front of the sweat, coupled with the cloth size tag, seem like pretty good indicators that you've got yourself a vintage lid that could well go back 50 years.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe