Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Any of you ever bought something on Ebay without knowing what it is? I don't know why I did but I did. Your guess is as good as mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Looking forward to you posting a close-up of the weave on that. Hard to tell, but it looks muy fino!

JAVIER

Practically Family
Snatched this Dobb up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...dl54icU%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Looks like a nice cleaning and I am good to go (hopefully)

What I found interesting besides the hat, is the history of "THE MAN STORE" OF ASHEVILLE,
In 1922, Coleman Zageir opened the Man Store, which sold men’s clothing from their Patton Avenue location for 40 years. Zageir was very popular with his customers as generations of Asheville men bought their suits from the Man Store. Zageir was very civically minded, giving anonymous college scholarships to needy students. When he died, the local newspaper and TV station praised Zageir in editorials. The University of North Carolina at Asheville honored Zageir by naming a campus building after him. http://toto.lib.unca.edu/web_exhibits/family_store/default_family_store.htm

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/web_exhibits/family_store/jpg_panels_jewish_businesses/Patton_mod.jpg
Patton Ave is where the store was located and it's store lot was 18-22, (22), between both lots 1922-1969 (which dates this hat a bit in my eyes)

Last edited:

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Glad a fellow lounger got that hat. I actually started a thread on buying hats because of where they are from because of it. I seriously thought about getting it when it was listed lasted week since I'm here in Asheville, but figured I really didnt need it and didn't want to spend the money. I did put a bid on it when it was relisted for $10. Figured if I got, I got. If I didn't I didn't.
FYI: Where The Man Store was on Patton, is now a parking lot. It is neat seeing those old pics of Asheville though.
Enjoy the new lid!

JAVIER

Practically Family
Glad a fellow lounger got that hat. I actually started a thread on buying hats because of where they are from because of it. I seriously thought about getting it when it was listed lasted week since I'm here in Asheville, but figured I really didnt need it and didn't want to spend the money. I did put a bid on it when it was relisted for $10. Figured if I got, I got. If I didn't I didn't.
FYI: Where The Man Store was on Patton, is now a parking lot. It is neat seeing those old pics of Asheville though.
Enjoy the new lid!

I was glad to find some info online. It require some sleuthing but It's almost a must when buying online, some times you get lucky :)

Walt

One of the Regulars
This cool old boater didn't fetch what I thought it would. Great condition, great box!

I just did a search in ebay a few days ago for all "Boaters" and "Skimmers" and didn't see this one in the search results---darn--I would have bid on it... I guess it is because it isn't listed in the main description fields as boater or skimmer but was listed under the Style field as a boater (which not every seller fills out). I'll have to play with the search settings more to see if I can fix that, but I use the "all words, any order" and not exact match and it doesn't return all items. Apparently not all fields are including in searches. I'll have to play with this more and research it further, but I find it pretty frustrating--that is I miss items because of it.

Does anyone else see that problem? (i.e. ebay hat searches for brands, models, sizes, types, etc fails to include items that should match and be included in the search results).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stop being so specific. Look in the category vintage accessories --> men's hats. Most of what you'll ever want to see is there. A bit of the rest is in the men's accessories (not under the vintage heading), or under men's vintage clothing (and the various b.s. time-periods therein). The rest are usually the badly listed gems.

_______________-

Nice Belgian hat is a no-sale.

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars
Good point. Thanks. I'm trying to do that more often. You would think a seller would try to do searches to verify their item will be seen by more people and therefore increase the likelihood of getting more and higher bids (I would do that if I were selling something). Of course that would mean more competitors for those gems that fewer catch when they are badly listed..of course we all (as buyers) want the lowest price including me so I guess I'll have to put more effort into digging. There was a recent seller that failed to include sizes in the descriptions, but the size tags were visible in the pictures. With so many items to look through I didn't catch it until most were already sold. Arghh... Then there is my pet peeve of those sellers that call everything a "fedora" including mutually exclusive types of hats...

I see at least some of my "failures to see until bidding is closed" went to good homes (that is guys on here that will appreciate them)--a good outcome for sure . ;-)

I hope if the winner of that old Stetson boater is on here we will see some pictures posted since except for the last two they appeared to be taken with either a very high ISO setting or a crappy cell phone camera (yet another annoyance--why would a seller list only a couple of photos or post tiny/blurry or pixel-ated images as some do). Some of the sellers do a phenomenal job of posting many great pictures (I bet they often average more money and are obviously the ones specializing in selling hats).

T Rick

Practically Family
Did one of you get this size 7 1/2 Barlesoni? The seller wouldn't send me a picture of the inside, even though he said it was great. That, and his handle, "kissmytuchas", scared me off. Very low price, though, if it IS a winner!

I didn't go for that one (wrong size), but did just nab this one from the same Seller (spelled tukus- or is it tuckus?- wrong, figured he might be okay with 100% feedback, though he did manage to get "ass" in KMT).

Still, I've got a good feeling about this one. Poorly listed, says it was made by "Champ Featherweight". I need some good lightweight felts to go with the Panamas for Summer. And I bet (hope) since there was no inside pic, it is probably unlined (good!). Brim looks a bit small to me (or my max bid that wasn't reached would have been more). Thinking it's around 2- 2 1/4 inches. Nice mid ribbon, neither wide nor narrow. Any thoughts on this one?

ETA: Ha! Didn't notice the asked question of brim width, it is 2.25 inches, just as I'd thought! Should be a great hat (I hope I hope....).

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice one. It's the Featherweight model, made by Champ. There are several of them in the Champ thread.
champ1950.jpg

Champ_Box.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe