Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Salty O'Rourke said:
I agree, head sizes couldn't have ballooned that much since my dad's time.

It could be that the common sizes today were just as common then, and were more likely to be handed down to children and relatives who could wear them, sold at rummage sales, or donated to charity drives. Smaller hats might not have gone through as many owners.

I think you're onto something there Salty. And I guess my point is that there are going to be several reasons why there seems to be more vintage pin-head lids around today than what we consider more 'average' sizes.

Chinaski

One Too Many
The posting for that Whippet said the size was 7/8. I thought it was 6 7/8ths.

Edit: Sorry, this has already been said! I was reading the last page before I read this one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I think the size increase in modern history is pretty undeniable. Vintage clothing for other body parts shows the same surplus in smaller sizes and lack of larger ones with similar price growth. However, manufacturers of new items generally charge the same for all sizes in the normal range.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
I think you're onto something there Salty. And I guess my point is that there are going to be several reasons why there seems to be more vintage pin-head lids around today than what we consider more 'average' sizes.
Hormones. We shoot our meat animals full of 'em these days to make them grow more, and grow faster. And head size does correlate with, er, girth.

We grow more and are fatter. And that affects hat sizes. I don't think it's too much more complicated then that. After all, small guys have kids to pass hats down to too.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
I think the size increase in modern history is pretty undeniable. Vintage clothing for other body parts shows the same surplus in smaller sizes and lack of larger ones with similar price growth.

Tell me 'bout it! You wouldn't believe how difficult is is to find a suitable vintage suit in my size (rather long 'n lanky, think Jimmy Stewart). The pants are the major problem as most of them just aren't long enough. :mad:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Dooo-eee! Say, Lefty - if you find a reasonably priced gray Whippet in 6 7/8 in one of your antique stores...why don't you let me know about it?? :D :D

The problem is, my favorite place for hats tends to charge $60-$80 for most of them. At this point though, I think they may have sold-off the stock and retired. Here are a few photos that are a bit over a year old.
DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

Wow...that looks (looked) promising... :eek:

I wish I could find something like that here in Berlin, but the most 'exotic' hat I've found in a local thrift store was a green hat from some obscure DDR manufacturer with a sweatband that was probably made from the body of an old Trabant or Wartburg... :p Ah yes, and I once found a Stetson and two Resistols that were all made in Germany. :rolleyes:

Lefty said:

And this one looks really good! Wanthavewanthavewanthave!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I wouldn't be too stunned, if i were you, if it arrives and is very low crowned. I have two early Borsalinos that were made for the French market that have low crowns and wide brims. One i know for sure was bought in 1938. Both are "porkpie" bashed. They are not tall enough in the crown for anything else. The one you won doesn't appear to have a great excess of felt in the crown.

bk

Just arrived - You nailed it. Very nice hat, but a low-crowned porkpie. Definitely an old French look to it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Won this Crofut & Knapp Derby this morning. It's a tiny hat with condition issues, but the reason I picked it up is that I've not seen this particular tip sticker logo before. It appears to pre-date the Knapp Felt logos. I suspect it's a 19th century hat, and will hopefully know more once it arrives.

!BkzmtdQBWk~$(KGrHqMOKikEsnWbyv37BLZHBvT-8Q~~_3.JPG

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Won this Crofut & Knapp Derby this morning. It's a tiny hat with condition issues, but the reason I picked it up is that I've not seen this particular tip sticker logo before. It appears to pre-date the Knapp Felt logos. I suspect it's a 19th century hat, and will hopefully know more once it arrives.

!BkzmtdQBWk~$(KGrHqMOKikEsnWbyv37BLZHBvT-8Q~~_3.JPG

Brad
Glad you won that one. M. Levy's Sons was founded in 1857.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mid-50s Stetson Fifteen 3X Mode Edge

This one arrived in pristine beat-to-hell condition. Had to remove the liner and re-block it, but it came out really nice and I was able to get a perfect fit:

Very similar to a Knox Twenty, but I like this one a little better:

Stetson15Before.jpg

Stetson3XMESideUnB.jpg

Stetson3XMESide.jpg

Stetson3XMESweatDtl.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice job, Scott :eusa_clap

But, I'm not surprised - you always clean them up with great success

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Nice job, Scott :eusa_clap

But, I'm not surprised - you always clean them up with great success

Thanks Garrett. This was one of those hats rlk described, that was bent to hell from many years of storage - I doubt the hat was ever worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21