Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Ephraim Tutt said:

I am slowly learning that ebay makes no sense at all..with 56 people watching I figured this hat would go sky high at the last second...but no..
very reasonable end price [huh] i mean its almost a whippet
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190368087957&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
jeffconnors said:
I am slowly learning that ebay makes no sense at all..with 56 people watching I figured this hat would go sky high at the last second...but no..
very reasonable end price [huh] i mean its almost a whippet
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190368087957&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I watched that one too, and almost put in a bid even though it's a little too big. I hesitated because of the brownish olive color. I've noticed that unless it's an iconic model, dark brown hats don't command the same prices as other shades.

The other Lee was a nice hat, had fewer issues, and had even less interest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190368086062&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
rlk said:
4320911338_49afe5b1b4_o.jpg
4320911380_a3b9d8f05d_o.jpg
4320918700_1b3764cec1_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...80213&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3760wt_1167
only $23.50(not mine)

Mine. Too nice a hat to let go for that little.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Louis Custom Hatters

I just snatched this lighty gray Louis Custom Hatters, probably from the 1940's. It was (and still is) a risky purchase as it is tagged as 7 1/8, but I went through different measuring methods with the seller (two-inch-at-a-time, a lenghty piece of soft cardboard) repeatedly and it always came out at around 21 1/2". Yes, I hear you. I know what you want to tell me about sellers who are measuring hats... What can I say to my defense? :eek: Hmm, lemme see... Well, I really, really loved the proportions on this hat so I set up my sniper in a trance (or was it just a weak moment?) and then forgot about it until I received a mail a few minutes ago with the news that I'm the winner. Surprise! If it ends up to be too large for me, you'll find it in the classifieds section soon. :p :rolleyes:

For now, let's hope for the best... ;)

!Bkpkq)Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiQEtMs,Zr6uBLYbF4rf2g~~_12.JPG

!BkYs)TgBGk~$(KGrHqYH-DoEt!cqyH6LBL(SfqGtqQ~~_12.JPG

!BkYCi9gBmk~$(KGrHqMOKi0EsnYkiL5CBL(PzhdC7g~~_12.JPG

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mario said:
I just snatched this lighty gray Louis Custom Hatters, probably from the 1940's. It was (and still is) a risky purchase as it is tagged as 7 1/8, but I went through different measuring methods with the seller (two-inch-at-a-time, a lenghty piece of soft cardboard) repeatedly and it always came out at around 21 1/2". Yes, I hear you. I know what you want to tell me about sellers who are measuring hats... What can I say to my defense? :eek: Hmm, lemme see... Well, I really, really loved the proportions on this hat so I set up my sniper in a trance (or was it just a weak moment?) and then forgot about it until I received a mail a few minutes ago with the news that I'm the winner. Surprise! If it ends up to be too large for me, you'll find it in the classifieds section soon. :p :rolleyes:

For now, let's hope for the best... ;)

!Bkpkq)Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiQEtMs,Zr6uBLYbF4rf2g~~_12.JPG

!BkYs)TgBGk~$(KGrHqYH-DoEt!cqyH6LBL(SfqGtqQ~~_12.JPG

!BkYCi9gBmk~$(KGrHqMOKi0EsnYkiL5CBL(PzhdC7g~~_12.JPG

Great price on that there '1930/40 Mafia hat' :eusa_doh:

Lovely hat though, Mario - and the risk is small I reckon.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
Great price on that there '1930/40 Mafia hat' :eusa_doh:

Lovely hat though, Mario - and the risk is small I reckon.

Yep, it looks like a really nice hat and I love that fact that the ribbon is...hmmm...what? Semi wide? Semi thin? [huh] Anyway, it's a lovely hat and if turns out to be a real 7 1/8 (or 7), it will still find a new home, I'm sure about that. :cool2: And should I find that I don't want to sell it off again even though it's a bit too large I can still do a reblock and beef up the brim a lil' bit... :eek: :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
RobFedoraField said:
I'm not debating vintage vs modern or anything else, but I have to agree, before I spent $355 on a hat off of the bay, I'd either get a Custom Moore or Fawcett, or buy 3 akubras and wear 'em until they're vintage.

I'm not a Akubra fan so that wouldn't be an option. I guess I'd spend my money on a custom instead. I've had a custom guitar made for me years ago and I have never looked back.

Mario said:
I'm not a Akubra fan so that wouldn't be an option. I guess I'd spend my money on a custom instead. I've had a custom guitar made for me years ago and I have never looked back.
To some a pristine vintage is on same level if not higher than a custom, so paying like prices is justified especially if the size is right. Those 7 3/8 waters are DEEP out in the 'Bay! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82