Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dreispitz said:
and .... "CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES ONLY - NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING! (sorry, but no exceptions)" ...... NOT ;)

I've posted multiple times that this is not my policy for loungers; however, if you had run against the issues I have with non-US ebayers, your language in the listings would probably be in even larger, bolder type - perhaps even flashing with a speech in the background.

Also, AFTER I started this policy, I've had a Canadian bid and win anyway (and open a dispute when customs held the hat for 2 weeks), the same Canadian bid AGAIN using a different i.d. and win another hat (go figure), and a Frenchman win a hat - this guy was such an a-hole that I had to get ebay to cancel the transaction. After two calls to ebay, they have been unable to prevent international bidding on my items.

I know, I know - I'm the only one in the whole world who has experienced the above. Perhaps I'm cursed, but I just don't have problems with US customers, so I can live with it.

But again - if you are an established lounger (or not - just PM me) and want to bid on a hat I'm selling, BID, BID, BID

Scott <=== despises hassles...and customs.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Tell me about it!

rlk said:
Wow, 5 last second snipes. Its getting hard for sellers to hide a hat.[huh] :)
4282899458_14085f2b37_o.jpg
4282153799_03553d9721_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150404366408#ht_2336wt_1167
4270301661_bc40227194_o.jpg

previously sold postcard

I put in a snipe of $70 for this hat and was very surprised to see it jump so high. It's a beauty for sure.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Salty O'Rourke said:
I got in the auction late and there wasn't time to verify the color - i really hope it isn't lavender...

What is it with hats and digital photography anyway? Dark gray looks brown. light gray looks white, black looks gray, brown looks purple.

I'd wager that it's a plain medium gray. Those funny colors are usually the result of the flash. If you want to do it right with a digital camera, it usually needs a good deal of post proecessing/color correction work.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Lefty said:
That's a nice one. The color is bad because of the lighting - unless you know what you're doing, a natural light shot will almost always be better.

I'm always puzzled when choice hats go cheap - I can understand it when the listing is poorly worded or the photos are bad, but that doesn't seem to be the case with that Stetson.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That's a nice one. The color is bad because of the lighting - unless you know what you're doing, a natural light shot will almost always be better.

I inquired about the color and received an answer stating that the item had been sold(thats how quick the response was). Still didn't tell me the color though.

One thing you can sometimes try to determine the hats real color is to look for a true neutral(white or gray)object or item that you know the color of. Then copy the photo and edit until that area is the color you know to be correct, thereby adjusting the hat to its correct color. Not always possible but sometimes it works well.

Dobesch Wien Homburg

Supposedly dark blue size 59cm Dobesch Wien Homburg probably late 50s early 60s. This is the first Dobesch I have run into. They were aligned with Fraenkel and Böhm hat companies.

4288745384_dbd6e72d8d.jpg

4288745246_573735c283.jpg

4288004161_c3789dbc83.jpg

Rustin

New in Town
"vintage" cowboy hat

I snagged a black Resistol on Ebay several weeks ago... the seller said it came from an old trading post in New Mexico, had been sitting in the back room for a long time and was dusty, but brand new and nicely shaped. The seller said it was probably 30 to 50 years old because the trading post hadn't sold any sort of clothing in that many years. Okay, I "won" the auction. And I got the hat... I wouldn't call it merely "dusty"... most of what it had on it could be described as "hair" or "spots". the gold printing was mostly worn off the sweatband, there was a barcode label inside the hat (gee, did they use barcodes 30-50 years ago, duh?) and as for being 'nicely shaped', it looked like it had been jammed in a shelf between some other items for a while. In short it was not a 'vintage' hat, it was not new, it was not nicely shaped, and I was not real happy.

I contacted the seller, who was very nice but needed some convincing, because I had paid for a brand new but vintage hat and obviously gotten a used hat someone had left in the back room at some point. Finally I got him to split the price with me and I suppose I can live with the deal (about $25 including shipping, it's a Resistol 4x) and since I'm going to wear it bull-riding I really didn't want to wreck a good hat for that so I'm all set. But you sure do find out sometimes on Ebay when someone sells you something and they don't have a clue what they're talking about. I asked the guy who sold me that hat "didn't you notice the bar code label inside, or all the hair on a 'new' hat?"

I've done very well on Ebay in the past - my best is a 6x Serratelli (yes, another cowboy hat) that appeared new as described, for about $50 including shipping, a hat that I see online usually for $170-$180.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is some of my favorite auctions ever for hair of the moist type.
click
(I know it's live, but I believe that this falls within the exceptions.)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A pre-pounced hat body for $20.lol Not a bad price, actually, but probably doesn't come big enough to block a hat from it. Anybody willing to gamble?

Brad

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Unsold Knox Twenty Five

This Knox 25 didn't even sell. It's a long-haired with a custom edge. The size was listed as 20 5/8". What do you guys think? I wasn't crazy about the color, but I found it interesting because of the (I believe it's called a) velour finish. I think I'm wrong, but weren't the longhairs rare in non-black? Or expensive? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Vtg-HAT-KNOX-Twenty-Five-Fedora-FUZZY-Long-Hair_W0QQitemZ370320208919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item5638cdf417#ht_5404wt_1167

hope I didn't waste my money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320474894525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

!BjgtyBgBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEs8gmynV+BLT2sj4meQ~~_12.JPG

I won this yesterday and have high hopes for it. I doubt if it's from the '30's like the posting said, but I absolutely love the crease, the bound brim, and the dimensions, it looks very close to my Akubra Capricorn, but maybe a little stingier. not sure how accurate the "perfect" is of the condition is, definitley looks like it needs a naptha bath. and for $25 shipped, it would be one of my cheaper mistakes. the size wasn't listed but the seller sent me the dimensions and it comes out to a 7 1/4, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed about that!

I'm kinda surprised there were only two bids including mine.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
This Knox 25 didn't even sell. It's a long-haired with a custom edge. The size was listed as 20 5/8". What do you guys think? I wasn't crazy about the color, but I found it interesting because of the (I believe it's called a) velour finish. I think I'm wrong, but weren't the longhairs rare in non-black? Or expensive? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Vtg-HAT-KNOX-Twenty-Five-Fedora-FUZZY-Long-Hair_W0QQitemZ370320208919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item5638cdf417#ht_5404wt_1167

They're not hard and fast terms, but velour is generally more just a little nappy - like the black fuzzies you're thinking about. Something like the one you posted is generally considered a long-hair or satin finish. (These are real generalizations, but are based on the common usage on this site.)

That one didn't sell for a couple of reasons, the most obvious being that, though it might look great in person, it looks like garbage in those photos. It's also a later model. Finally, it's really tiny, and even the best tiny hats don't go for (relatively) much.

billyspew

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320474894525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I won this yesterday and have high hopes for it. I doubt if it's from the '30's like the posting said, but I absolutely love the crease, the bound brim, and the dimensions, it looks very close to my Akubra Capricorn, but maybe a little stingier. not sure how accurate the "perfect" is of the condition is, definitley looks like it needs a naptha bath. and for $25 shipped, it would be one of my cheaper mistakes. the size wasn't listed but the seller sent me the dimensions and it comes out to a 7 1/4, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed about that!

I'm kinda surprised there were only two bids including mine.

Rob, I was watching that one. It's mid-sixties, based on liner and (assuming the box is original to the hat), the style of indycar on the side of the box.

Looks like a good buy though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82