Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Miss sofia said:
! think i should also apologise for being a latecomer to this thread and veering a little off topic, but having been a huge fan of the Doctor since childhood i felt compelled to throw my two pence worth into the mix. I agree with Nathans comment about the Doctor that you grew up watching as a child, (in my case Tom Baker), being your favourite, although i do think David Tenant did a sterling job too. At the risk of sounding like a bit of a namedropper, or being a little bit biased about Mr Baker, (both wildly untrue of course!), he has actually become a local resident of ours, i thought i was losing my marbles the first time i heard that booming voice behind me in the petrol station, and is charm personified, nutty as a fruitcake and is about the only person i know who i have actually heard call someone "my good man" without making themselves sound completely ridiculous. Oh and he was wearing a panama, braces and carrying a swordstick, what's not to love!

Lucky Lady, Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor too.
KTEH the PBS station in San Jose, CA. showed Dr Who during the 80s and I have a big box of VHS tapes of the 1st six Dr, I lost interest with Colin Baker and his ridicules clown suit and didn't even watch Sylvester McCoy.
The 3 Doctors since they resurrected the series have been terrific but I'll always miss Long Tom with his booming voice and rainbow scarf.

Edward

Bartender
Miss sofia said:
! think i should also apologise for being a latecomer to this thread and veering a little off topic, but having been a huge fan of the Doctor since childhood i felt compelled to throw my two pence worth into the mix. I agree with Nathans comment about the Doctor that you grew up watching as a child, (in my case Tom Baker), being your favourite, although i do think David Tenant did a sterling job too. At the risk of sounding like a bit of a namedropper, or being a little bit biased about Mr Baker, (both wildly untrue of course!), he has actually become a local resident of ours, i thought i was losing my marbles the first time i heard that booming voice behind me in the petrol station, and is charm personified, nutty as a fruitcake and is about the only person i know who i have actually heard call someone "my good man" without making themselves sound completely ridiculous. Oh and he was wearing a panama, braces and carrying a swordstick, what's not to love!

Met him once at a book signing in Belfast years ago.... must have been 1997. Totally and utterly mad (to the point where sometimes I suspect he must have written his own script for Little Britain, or they just stuck a mike on him and got him to talk.... lol ), and utterly, utterly charming with it. Every person that day was made to feel that he was genuinely interested in them as people, and there was no sense of being rushed on for the next. Wonderful.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Wow, I've really landed on my feet here! People obsessed with the 1920's-40's...who also like Dr. Who. This is great!

Tom Baker was my doctor, though I have to admit I've really been enjoying the modern series'.

And he's right - bow ties are cool.

Argee

One of the Regulars
Had to show this off. First fitting of my version of the Eleventh Doctor's outfit. Learned to tie a bow-tie specifically for this. I photoshopped myself into the background, I don't have access to a Tardis unfortunately.

46292_10150246935770074_585710073_14682860_5156035_n.jpg

Roxy

Familiar Face
Argee said:
Had to show this off. First fitting of my version of the Eleventh Doctor's outfit. Learned to tie a bow-tie specifically for this. I photoshopped myself into the background, I don't have access to a Tardis unfortunately.

Nice job with the photoshop.:eusa_clap

Lexybeast

A-List Customer

Nice. Also good job learning to tie the bow tie, even though I'm pretty sure Matt Smith uses a clip on. :D

DesertDan

One Too Many
Love The Doctor!
The new stuff has been very good, but Tom Baker will always be The Doctor for me in the same way that Connery is the only James Bond.

csmiller

New in Town
The Doctor in the US

I have noticed that BBC America is now running short teasers showing the Tardis landing in the U.S.. Don't know how to feel about this.

Well, the Doctor has been there/here before. A few years back he was in Manhattan with Martha in the early 30's. The Cult of Skaro was using the Empire State Building as a lab to create a new and better Dalek race.

Craig

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Well, the Doctor has been there/here before. A few years back he was in Manhattan with Martha in the early 30's. The Cult of Skaro was using the Empire State Building as a lab to create a new and better Dalek race.

Craig

The show was never filmed in the US however. According to the rumor mill around BBC America, The teaser is regarding the first two episodes of the upcoming series actually being filmed in Utah.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I'm still waiting for netflix to get the last season available. I've only caught snippets of the new doctor. Can't find a website that is playing the episodes complete. Its very annoying.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Can't believe this!!!!Just joined this forum a few weeks ago because it kept popping up when I googled my great interests:vintage watches,hats,leather jackets,vintage ephemera,etc and have got involved with a few threads and thoroughly enjoyed myself and then came across this!I had no idea you chaps from across the 'amy' would even be aware of the good Doctor and have just read this thread from the beginning and am staggered and replete.A bit of history;I was a Dr Who fanatic growing up,my bedroom was a shrine,born in 64 I missed Hartnell,caught the very end of Troughton'ish',really got into Pertwee but like so many have already said the great Tom was my Doctor,to be honest my interest began to fade after that,to a degree,always caught it if I could but girls and things started to come between us.Ican remember being feeling betrayed when it was finally cut,wasn't it Grade who pulled the switch, I'm sure I remember an interview when he said how much he hated it I've hated him since.I was a complete Sladen slave and my better half still ribs me about it whenever the Sarah Jane adventures is mentioned,and even after all these years I still retain arcane and esoteric facts,(here's one for you:what were the zarbi,and who were their prey?).Now,to come to the new stuff,I was so excited back when they said there was going to be a new Dr and having two boys of the right age I had the greatest excuse for sitting down with them every saturday it was on,and I've loved it all,my boys were not used to seeing their father cry but the amount of times I've been left in tears is numerous.Matt Smith,like every one else I was dubious when he was first announced,his age mainly,even the kids didn't like the idea and I'm sure the decision was made to appeal to younger audiences,but I've got to say,right from the off I thought he was fantastic,he has become with the great Tom my favourite Dr,obviously writing helps,like alot here though I will be eternally grateful to RTD for bringing it back,I don't think he did the series the greatest favours with his plots and writing and I was glad to see him replaced by Moffat.The greatest crime though,shooting the fez,it was probably a 'lock & co',shooting a 'lock' fez,heartbreaking,he should have kept it,and thinking about it now,I think it was probably my fascination with the Dr that gave me my interest in,shall we say,my more eccentric taste in apparel,I was asked on the forum last week when I first got into hats and I mentioned wearing a deerstalker when I was 16,I'm sure that if I hadn't been watching these bizarrely dressed characters every week my own desire to dress in a more non-conformist fashion may never have been awoken.I wonder how many of us can lay responsibility,at least to some degree,our idiosyncrasies at the door of the Dr.We all want to be Dr Who!Can't wait for the xmas special,cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth