Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

newtojackets

Practically Family
Had some beer spilled on these CXL boots. The beer seems to have left some dark spots on the leather. Is there something I need to do to get this out or will this naturally even out with time?

IMG_7630.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
Have you tried pouring more beer on them to blend in the spots?

Jokes aside, I think unless you darken the rest of the boot to match with conditioner/oil/polish (or beer) you may just need to let it go. Easier said than done I know, but first cut is the deepest. Maybe using saddle soap or something would lift the spots off, but that seems like the nuclear option considering your boots look basically brand new.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Happens often to my boots, nothing I've found will remove them entirely, but I've found ways to make them less noticeable.

The spots mostly went away mostly after I polished them lightly with med-brown wax. I like waxing my boots though, evening out the water spots was just a bonus, so if that's not your style, I'd avoid. The pictures here taken a week or so apart, first picture just worn, never conditioned, second is after light conditioner and wax.

What I think is the best option is just keep wearing them, especially if it's raining, if the entire boot gets soaked, basically it will even them up, but sometimes it won't fully even up on leathers like Shinki.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 030727.png Screenshot 2024-07-06 030742.png

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
Happens often to my boots, nothing I've found will remove them entirely, but I've found ways to make them less noticeable.

The spots mostly went away mostly after I polished them lightly with med-brown wax. I like waxing my boots though, evening out the water spots was just a bonus, so if that's not your style, I'd avoid. The pictures here taken a week or so apart, first picture just worn, never conditioned, second is after light conditioner and wax.

What I think is the best option is just keep wearing them, especially if it's raining, if the entire boot gets soaked, basically it will even them up, but sometimes it won't fully even up on leathers like Shinki.

View attachment 625138 View attachment 625139
Jack & White Bros? They look very White Kloud-y.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I do not know a way to remove such stains. However I do have a tip to prevent such liquid penetration. I use Mink oil to waterproof any of my shoe wear.

download (1).jpg download.jpg

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Just scored a very nice deal on a NOS Lost Worlds G-1, only issue being the main zip no longer works. The left side when the zip ist not inserted is working fine, goes freely up and down, however when I try to insert the other side, it will not zip up. Upon closer inspection, it appears due to age, the harder plastic part where the insertion pin is weak and flaking and I think also maybe it has separated from being tucked into the backside of the insertion pin?

Any good ways to try remedy this at home?

It goes up a tiny bit then gets stuck completely, I think maybe the insertion pin isn't deep enough to be fully seated? The jacket is quite old and hasn't been used so maybe some degradation of the teeth as well since the zipper tape has turned blue-green from verdigris?
452983016_374097552139410_699349515190114444_n.jpg
452300619_1557438318500808_7023817237699194729_n.jpg 452292783_1224550895390557_8742882107430855437_n.jpg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Just scored a very nice deal on a NOS Lost Worlds G-1, only issue being the main zip no longer works. The left side when the zip ist not inserted is working fine, goes freely up and down, however when I try to insert the other side, it will not zip up. Upon closer inspection, it appears due to age, the harder plastic part where the insertion pin is weak and flaking and I think also maybe it has separated from being tucked into the backside of the insertion pin?

Any good ways to try remedy this at home?
I'm not sure that's the original plastic reinforcement, it looks like someone tried to repair fraying tape. I've repaired fraying tape this way myself but it is key to use a very thin piece of fabric, when too thick it won't go through the slider.

So now I felt confident to do another zipper tape repair, this time using all purpose glue.

I used a NOS zipper as a donor for the reinforcement piece, it came loose after soaking it in hot water for an hour.

IMG_6234.jpeg
IMG_6235.jpeg
IMG_6236.jpeg

Before gluing the piece onto the zipper I cut away the old reinforcement as much as possible as you don't want the tape to become too thick (when too thick it won't slide into the zipper box anymore).

222A86BF-DD21-4E22-BC90-623633D3A9A1.jpeg

The end result, a reinforcement piece that's stiff without being hard or brittle.

IMG_6242.jpeg

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I'm not sure that's the original plastic reinforcement, it looks like someone tried to repair fraying tape. I've repaired fraying tape this way myself but it is key to use a very thin piece of fabric, when too thick it won't go through the slider.
Ah yes, spot on, I gave it a double check, what I thought was stitching was just a ripped part of the repair tape upon closer inspection, it wraps around the bottom and it looks like there are maybe 2 layers? I'll remove it and see what's what under there.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Okay, so I removed the tape it zips up a few teeth now, thanks for the help! It does get stuck after a few teeth but I think the insertion pin seems pretty fine and in decent shape so not sure why the repair tape was used in the first place.

I think it may need a bit of lubrication on the zipper teeth now since it does zip very slowly and with much resistance.

Glad to see I don't think I'll be needing to replace this zipper.

EDIT:

Got it zipped up with a lot of patience, for some reason the zipper really only seems to feed in the teeth properly when the zip tracks are pulled apart and not parallel to each other. Very stoked about this, any recommended products to lubricate the zippers for future ease of use?

452165459_1216513862834609_2306604025367620288_n.jpg 451191457_477605431686380_3904304729470530486_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I used some olive oil on my vintage Buco's.

Here are some more professional suggestions... They also mention olive oil btw lol.

https://zippershipper.com/blogs/blog/how-to-lubricate-a-zipper-5-solutions
Thanks so much, I will try clean it up a little with a toothbrush then use some oil later and hopefully get it running smooth again. I bought the jacket with the understanding that the zipper was broken so really nice to be able to get it working even if with a struggle.

I do wonder why the original owner put so much repair tape on the zipper though considering it was unused and had no damage to it beside the brass tarnishing. Maybe a previous incident with a busted zipper made them take a little too much preventative measures.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Take a pencil sharpener and clean the teeth with the pencil tip. It will break many times. Sharpen the pencil again. If the teeth are bad and need a stronger cleaner. Use the pencil shaving (thin wood with lead) as aggregate to remove the more stubborn grease or wax that was previously used and preventing the zipper from running as it should. Another tip. Use tape (painter first choice) in the inner section of the zipper and lining to prevent some of that pencil and wax to mar the lining. Use a brush to remove all the gunk that will come out. Lastly, repeat a nice pencil cleaning and you will be golden.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Okay, so I removed the tape it zips up a few teeth now, thanks for the help! It does get stuck after a few teeth but I think the insertion pin seems pretty fine and in decent shape so not sure why the repair tape was used in the first place.

I think it may need a bit of lubrication on the zipper teeth now since it does zip very slowly and with much resistance.

Glad to see I don't think I'll be needing to replace this zipper.

EDIT:

Got it zipped up with a lot of patience, for some reason the zipper really only seems to feed in the teeth properly when the zip tracks are pulled apart and not parallel to each other. Very stoked about this, any recommended products to lubricate the zippers for future ease of use?

View attachment 631278 View attachment 631279
One of the BEST repair method. Those 80's talons are a little finicky.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I've washed the jacket, removed the shoulder pads, glued some topcoat nicks, hand sewed the busted seams, replaced the elastic bands holding the gussets in place and reconditioned the leather. Now waiting for the replacement buttons to be delivered.

View attachment 580827 View attachment 580828 View attachment 580829 View attachment 580832

View attachment 580831

View attachment 580830

View attachment 580834 View attachment 580833

Master class process. Friend, love your work. I was wondering if you can share more about the washing process you develop to clean the goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut