Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

newtojackets

Practically Family
Had some beer spilled on these CXL boots. The beer seems to have left some dark spots on the leather. Is there something I need to do to get this out or will this naturally even out with time?

IMG_7630.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
Have you tried pouring more beer on them to blend in the spots?

Jokes aside, I think unless you darken the rest of the boot to match with conditioner/oil/polish (or beer) you may just need to let it go. Easier said than done I know, but first cut is the deepest. Maybe using saddle soap or something would lift the spots off, but that seems like the nuclear option considering your boots look basically brand new.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Happens often to my boots, nothing I've found will remove them entirely, but I've found ways to make them less noticeable.

The spots mostly went away mostly after I polished them lightly with med-brown wax. I like waxing my boots though, evening out the water spots was just a bonus, so if that's not your style, I'd avoid. The pictures here taken a week or so apart, first picture just worn, never conditioned, second is after light conditioner and wax.

What I think is the best option is just keep wearing them, especially if it's raining, if the entire boot gets soaked, basically it will even them up, but sometimes it won't fully even up on leathers like Shinki.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 030727.png Screenshot 2024-07-06 030742.png

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
Happens often to my boots, nothing I've found will remove them entirely, but I've found ways to make them less noticeable.

The spots mostly went away mostly after I polished them lightly with med-brown wax. I like waxing my boots though, evening out the water spots was just a bonus, so if that's not your style, I'd avoid. The pictures here taken a week or so apart, first picture just worn, never conditioned, second is after light conditioner and wax.

What I think is the best option is just keep wearing them, especially if it's raining, if the entire boot gets soaked, basically it will even them up, but sometimes it won't fully even up on leathers like Shinki.

View attachment 625138 View attachment 625139
Jack & White Bros? They look very White Kloud-y.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd