Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't find a great vintage 7 1/2 fedora

Levi's Pop

New in Town
I've been looking for my first fedora hat and I can't seem to find a good vintage hat in a 7 1/2. I was tempted to purchase a new borsalino but have noticed everyone in here seems to think they are worthless. Where do I look and what do I buy? Thanks P.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome...

to a fellow Southerner !
Yes you can find a vintage in 7 1\2. They are not easy to come across but are there.
In a year an 1\2 I have gotten 2 Open Roads in 7 3\8s [one I sold],
2 Stratoliners one that I sold that was 7 3\4 and the one I have kept in
7 1\2. Also in size 7 1\2 a Penneys Marathon and a Dobbs West, a couple of 7 1\2 western styles that I made into fedoras and my most recent a vintage 7 1\2 straw panama.
They are there, you really have to watch for them and the price may reach over $100. But you may also get one for under $50.
As for a new fedora I would look at Akubra, they have several styles that look great.
Again welcome and good luck!!

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I've had similar troubles with finding my size, 7 1/4 vintage. Theyre either too small or they don't suit my taste (lots and lots of 2" brims, I'd like 2 1/2".)
I found a Dobbs 2" brim at one of the local antique malls but beats me how old it actually is.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The vintage are hard to find in 7 3/8 or above. If what you REALLY want is vintage, you have to work long and hard for it. If just want to start out a hat collection right, skip the new Borso's and Stetsons. Your "new" options;

In the "Under $150" range, Akubra is great and tough. You can also get a custom rabbit fur felt comparable to an Akubra from JP Designs, which means you don't have to settle for an off-the-rack-style.

If you're willing to double that price range, go to Art Fawcett for the hat of your dreams in beaver fur felt!

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with these three choices. I doubt anyone here would disagree.
Good luck!
NB

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Keep searching, you'll find them. I'm a 7 5/8 and I have found a few nice vintage fedoras. But the fact is that back in the day there just weren't that many fatheads. But there are a few great hat makers today. The best, IMHO, being our own Art Fawcett and Fedora (Fedora makes the Indiana Jones Adventurebilt)...KC

Levi's Pop said:
I've been looking for my first fedora hat and I can't seem to find a good vintage hat in a 7 1/2. I was tempted to purchase a new borsalino but have noticed everyone in here seems to think they are worthless. Where do I look and what do I buy? Thanks P.

Darn, I can't send you a few links via PM because your post count is not above the 20 limit. There are a few that I can find for you---depending on price.

Regards,

J

jpdesign

Vendor
Just today I picked up a knox 20 sand colored fedora with a 2 3/4 inch brim, cavanagh edge. I am going to have to put in a new sweat as the old one is dried out. it is marked 7 5/8 but measures 7 1/2(23 1/2 inches). I will have picks on my site later tonight with a price.

Jimmy

nulty

One of the Regulars
7.5 can be tough. They seem to come in packs. You''ll get the 1 or 2 here and there but those you have to really dig for.

Last week I lost both a Cavanagh and a Stetson 20, put off bidding on a Knox narrow brim for a mid 60's Resistol, forgot to bid on the Resistol and then the Knox ran out..and I was watching 3 other 7.5 sized hats that I blew off because of quality issues.....a nice run and I rang the lemons on each one......

So you just gotta have patience boy.....the Mysterious forces that bring these items to us from beyond the mystic realm of our physical existence will soon smile upon you as well...

In the meantime my advice is to not drop your piggy bank on something just to fill the void...research and try the hat on whenever possible....lots of choices and always someone ready to help you make it......

nulty

One of the Regulars
Viviene said:
If you gentlemen would answer a question I have I would be grateful. Why is the wider brim more desirable? I thank you in advance.

It is for most..It's not for me though or a few other folks lounging around here..the widest I'm comfortable in is 2 1/8"...

My opinion is that the wide brim resembles the majority of images of The Hat from the 20-40's that we've seen...Every guy or gal has a picture in their head they picked up from someplace or someone and since most hats back then were the wider brim it stands to reason more guys would want them....

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Viviene said:
If you gentlemen would answer a question I have I would be grateful. Why is the wider brim more desirable? I thank you in advance.

Wider brims were more in style during the '30s and '40s, whereas stingy brims were more popular later, in the '60s. Most of the guys who post here (there are notable exceptions) prefer the earlier era's styles in hats as well as clothing fashions.

MattJH

One Too Many
Levi's Pop said:
I was tempted to purchase a new borsalino but have noticed everyone in here seems to think they are worthless.

I own a Borsalino Travel Light in all black and it's pretty much the most comfortable hat I've ever felt. Granted, I haven't felt hundreds, but I've felt a nice amount.

Everyone here has been extremely helpful to me and have been patient with many questions, but you will notice that the vocal majority feel that the only good hats that aren't classic/vintage are the various Akubras, Adventurebilts, and custom hats. And while it's all nice to know, I personally ignore all of it. If i listened to the vocal majority, I wouldn't be happily wearing the Borsalino mentioned above every single workday, and that'd just be a travesty.

Find a hat and a mirror. Don't look at the brand or the age. Does it look nice and feel nice? Does it feel natural? That's really all you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley