Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't find a great vintage 7 1/2 fedora

Viviene said:
If you gentlemen would answer a question I have I would be grateful. Why is the wider brim more desirable? I thank you in advance.

For two reasons really. One is that the hat brim size has history and for good reason. The style balances out the crown height and thicker ribbon styles.
The other reason is really utilitarian. A brim that is 2 1/2 inches wide gives you what I consider the best length for sun and rain protection. With very few exceptions, your nose and upper half of your face doesn't stick out farther than the brim covers. ;) So you have that and it also keeps your glasses dry if you are in the rain. :D

Regards,

J

MattJH

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Just remember me. Size 7 5/8 (that means 24" around the inside);) anything at or over 2 1/2 inches. Preferably Dobbs, Mallory, Borsalino, Portis, Knox and (the pretty rare) Dunlap.:D

Regards,

J

And me, too! jamespowers and I can joust for your findings.

Or thumb-wrestle.

Topper

Vendor
Viviene said:
If you gentlemen would answer a question I have I would be grateful. Why is the wider brim more desirable? I thank you in advance.

Any shorter and you have a Trilby, not a Fedora :)

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
RBH -- your ever-changing avatar is cracking me up. :D
Thanks my friend! I try!!!!:D

I thought I had a pic of me in front of some palms from our trip to south Texas in January, but alas the guy who 'helped' me out pushed the video button. And his video was of our feet! :eusa_doh:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They are out there

I just picked this 'un up last PM...
a6a5_1.JPG

DOBBS MENS FEDORA HAT 7 1/2 VVL TWENTY 5TH AVE NEW YORK

You just have to cast a fairly wide net. Expand yr. search terms & look in the "buy it now" sections as well as under "top hats" ," fur hats" & "other" so many people have only the dimmest of ideas about what they actually have.

Good luck!

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley