Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
Tinseltown, your images are not downloading. Also, it would be great if you could post here in this thread instead of sending us offsite. Thanks!
Sorry! :eusa_doh:
Here you go :)
wl6hw3.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tinseltown, you have a lovely piece of furniture circa 1920 or so. It is the type sold to bachelors or married people when they first got married, and it is one of the higher ends of furniture of that era. You should find that the piece is solid wood with stained and laquered finish, and should not be veneer, which is overlayed pieces of different type of wood in thin strips on top of other wood.

The slats holding the drawers up should be sliding insets of wood of high quality, and unless someone mis-treated the piece, the drawers should still slide nicely with no problems, again, and inicator of higher than average quality. If they are starting to stick, just rub the slats with ski wax to make the drawers slide smoothly. Careful though, the drawers can also slide out. The drawers may or may not be tongue and groove, which means that the drawer pieces are meant to fit together like a puzzle. If you do have something like that, again it usually indicates a higher than normal quality piece for the era.

The lock is keyhole style, and if you don't have the key, one should easily be found at your local locksmith for $20 US or less - these types of furniture didn't have unique key combinations that we know today. These older types of locks in standard furniture were made of brass (look at the metal and you should see brass shining through any type of paint or staining they did).

The chip off the top and the bottom graduated wear are unfortunately common in old pieces, but the legs should still be sturdy. The varigated (or wavy) piece on the bottom between the two legs is simply an overlay piece glued on for style but has no other value to the piece as in no way contributes to the sturdiness of the piece. You should not use it for holding the piece when moving the furniture, as it can snap off. The hardware is original brass, and has been nicely kept.

Depending on it's aethestic or sentimental value to you, you can call a professional to fill in those areas which are damaged for probably under $150. This doesn't mean the piece is worth that much, but you have to pay for a house call and fixing the piece.

Overall, a nice piece which is indicitive of the era and should hold your clothing well for years to come.

La Julia, your lovely hat is circa 1950's and is a higher quality than normal for the period and appears to be in great condition too. If there are no mothholes or stains, you have yourself a nice addition or start to your hat collection.

Sunny

One Too Many
La Julia said:
Was wondering if anybody can help me date this hat.

Thanks in advance :)

100_6495.jpg
Looks very 50s to me, from the overall shape and especially the style of the label. I'm afraid I can't be more specific than that, though. I don't know so much about the 50s. :)

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty said:
La Julia, your lovely hat is circa 1950's and is a higher quality than normal for the period and appears to be in great condition too. If there are no mothholes or stains, you have yourself a nice addition or start to your hat collection.

You are very welcome!

Miss 1929

I might have a label for you...

Vintage Betty said:
This was posted for a recent Whitaker Auction:

1950's Lilli Ann Jacket for sale (on left)

236a.jpg

And this is what I have:

1930s_striped_suitJPG.jpg

Maybe I have an unmarked Lilli Ann in my wardrobe? And I own both pieces - the jacket and skirt! :eek: :D

What do YOU think?
I think there might be a stray Lilli Ann label of the right era in my sewing stuff, I will look. That definitely looks like a LA! beautiful.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Thank you VB! The dresser went down in price even more. It's just around 18 bucks now. :) Now I have to get it!
I wonder if one could paint it with woodstain if it's too run down?

Mary

Practically Family
What do you think of these shoes? Do you believe they are supposed to be tied with something by those holes. They are not my size so I can't tell.

2008_1201visby080121.jpg

2008_1201visby080122.jpg

La Julia

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
What do you think of these shoes? Do you believe they are supposed to be tied with something by those holes. They are not my size so I can't tell.

2008_1201visby080121.jpg

2008_1201visby080122.jpg

Oh, I love those shoes, I can't really tell.....

Sunny

One Too Many
Mary said:

2008_1201visby080121.jpg

2008_1201visby080122.jpg
Oh, I think so! They look late 30s/very early 40s (Lauren?) and I think most shoes with high split vamps from those years had ties in them. Those especially look somehow unfinished with just the piercing for decoration. If you were to wear them, you'd want short ribbon or flat-woven laces that matched.

Inky

One Too Many
Please Help Me Date This Jacket

Hello ladies,

I was hoping someone could help me date a jacket I recently purchased:

3075152347_9d91ebf209.jpg

It is 100% wool with a satin lining. The manufacturer's label is here:

3075152563_d528bd0711.jpg

The jacket is hip length, with no buttons or closures of any kind, shawl collar and front pockets. The cuffs are turned up with the outside edge higher than the inside edge. There are shoulder pads and the whole thing is in perfect condition, with only a faint musty storage smell that a good cleaning will take care of.

Inside the left side seam is a tag with a round seal that says "National Recovery Board" with "Coat and Suit Industry" in the center, and the numbers 119409.

The other side of the label says "Consumer Protection Label," with a small rectangle with "PFG" inside it and below that is "Manufactured Under Fair Labor Standards."

My research here on FL shows that label was used from June 1938 to at least the mid 1960's, according to info found in this thread. The label is nearly identical to one found on the Vintage Fashion Guild, but with different numbers and the PFG letters.

So, what's the verdict - what era does it appear to be from? No matter what, I love it and most of my wardrobe is black and red, so it fits right in ;)

Mary

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Oh, I think so! They look late 30s/very early 40s (Lauren?) and I think most shoes with high split vamps from those years had ties in them. Those especially look somehow unfinished with just the piercing for decoration. If you were to wear them, you'd want short ribbon or flat-woven laces that matched.

Thanks Sunny. I think so too. They are not for me, not my size. I'm thinking about putting them i the classifieds but I'd like them to be complete first.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
So I finally got the dresser! I can't believe I got it for only 15 bucks! For some reason I have a feeing that it's 50s or 60s, but I will take some pics of the inside etc...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:

That was my first thought as well, especially given the heel shape.

epr25

Practically Family
I would say 40's in my opinion. Large shoulder pads, nice satin for the lining. But I am not an expert.

Inky said:
Hello ladies,

I was hoping someone could help me date a jacket I recently purchased:

3075152347_9d91ebf209.jpg

It is 100% wool with a satin lining. The manufacturer's label is here:

3075152563_d528bd0711.jpg

The jacket is hip length, with no buttons or closures of any kind, shawl collar and front pockets. The cuffs are turned up with the outside edge higher than the inside edge. There are shoulder pads and the whole thing is in perfect condition, with only a faint musty storage smell that a good cleaning will take care of.

Inside the left side seam is a tag with a round seal that says "National Recovery Board" with "Coat and Suit Industry" in the center, and the numbers 119409.

The other side of the label says "Consumer Protection Label," with a small rectangle with "PFG" inside it and below that is "Manufactured Under Fair Labor Standards."

My research here on FL shows that label was used from June 1938 to at least the mid 1960's, according to info found in this thread. The label is nearly identical to one found on the Vintage Fashion Guild, but with different numbers and the PFG letters.

So, what's the verdict - what era does it appear to be from? No matter what, I love it and most of my wardrobe is black and red, so it fits right in ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I am giddy as a schoolgirl over this purchase from the Goodwill today. I headed over there and decided to look at the suits for women. In addition to a modern Italian suit coat in my boyfriend's size (yes, in the women's section for some reason), I picked up what seems to be a kind of kimono. Sort of. Except it hits just below the waist. Otherwise, it is an amazing burgundy silk with a cloud or wave pattern lined in a white floral silk. $7.99!! No tags or marks anywhere on it.

I am hoping LaMedicine shows up and check out my find, but in the meantime, what do you kimono-minded gals think? :)

DSCN0955.jpg

DSCN0956.jpg

DSCN0957.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

It looks lovely on. I'm totally gonna be that eccentric chick in the kimono from now on. Unless it's very valuable or something. :eek:

crwritt

One Too Many
Inky, I just finished sewing a very similar styled jacket from a pattern dated 1954. The revere was not as wide, but it is hip length, swing style, turned back
cuffs and shoulder pads. It is a flared out style, shown on the pattern with a slim skirt.
The shape of your jacket, with the wide collar and curved folded back front looks just like one I had in the early 70's, given to me by an older friend who wore it in the 50's. Mine was cream wool with embroidered polka dots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe