Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you for the info and advice. Very helpful!

I've also reached out to the Hattery and asked about the options/difficulty in replacing the ribbon, and they warned me about this in their reply:

"you don’t want to replace with a narrower ribbon either as holes in the felt may be noticeable."

Have you experienced this? That's what I'm afraid of, because I would most likely replace it with something narrower for the more casual look.

I hate to disagree with the ladies at the Hattery (it’s not the first time, either - but they are awesome anyway!) but in my experience Akubra stitching is the same as most other hats with visible stitching - it is at the bottom of the crown right above the brim break and even a thin ribbon would cover it. I don’t know of any other holes or other visible blemishes in a FED IV to be concerned about, and I have taken one completely apart before.

I believe @RickP has been doing a lot of hat remodeling lately and might be able to speak to that question more adequately than I can but definitely the FED IV I have with me here in Asia has stitching that would be completely covered even by a thin ribbon.

Good to hear you reached out to them and I hope you’ll keep us updated on your decision!

I hate to disagree with the ladies at the Hattery (it’s not the first time, either - but they are awesome anyway!) but in my experience Akubra stitching is the same as most other hats with visible stitching - it is at the bottom of the crown right above the brim break and even a thin ribbon would cover it. I don’t know of any other holes or other visible blemishes in a FED IV to be concerned about, and I have taken one completely apart before.

I believe @RickP has been doing a lot of hat remodeling lately and might be able to speak to that question more adequately than I can but definitely the FED IV I have with me here in Asia has stitching that would be completely covered even by a thin ribbon.

Good to hear you reached out to them and I hope you’ll keep us updated on your decision!
I do a fair bit of hat restoration work. Unless Akubra has screwed up and misplaced the stitching even a narrow 3/8" ribbon would cover the sweat band stitching. It is as the Lost Cowboy states, it sits just above the brim break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter