Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Has anyone here experience with .jacksonswesternstore.com?
https://www.jacksonswesternstore.com/open-road-by-stetson
I'm tempted to buy this one but I can't find much reviews about them when searching
For general commentary of Stetson hats (contemporary ones) there are lots of threads dedicated to that here in the Lounge. Use a google search and Fedora Lounge. These Stetson hats (the consensus here in the Lounge) are not great hats but Stetson still charges top dollar for them. For a few more dollars you can commission a custom hat. Much better craftsmanship, much better components....much better value.

SnowyViking

New in Town
For general commentary of Stetson hats (contemporary ones) there are lots of threads dedicated to that here in the Lounge. Use a google search and Fedora Lounge. These Stetson hats (the consensus here in the Lounge) are not great hats but Stetson still charges top dollar for them. For a few more dollars you can commission a custom hat. Much better craftsmanship, much better components....much better value.
I was only asking of anyone had experience with the store I linked and I tried google it and fedoralounge before posting here.Custom hats tends to be "a bit" above my head and my budget.I don't buy from places or people I don't have any reviews or reports of they are trustable or good.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Has anyone here experience with .jacksonswesternstore.com?
https://www.jacksonswesternstore.com/open-road-by-stetson
I'm tempted to buy this one but I can't find much reviews about them when searching

There are 451 reviews of that store in Google. Is that not much?

I understand your hesitation. I purchased a new Stetson last year online from Walmart because the price was right but also because I was confident I could get my money back if anything went sideways. Happily, nothing did.

You might call them and talk to someone. I’d probably ask them how they box the hat, how they ship it, what kind of insurance they include, what their return policies are, etc.

I like my new Stetson a lot. It’s a different model and quality level from the one you’re looking at, but I have never regretted buying it.

SnowyViking

New in Town
There are 451 reviews of that store in Google. Is that not much?

I understand your hesitation. I purchased a new Stetson last year online from Walmart because the price was right but also because I was confident I could get my money back if anything went sideways. Happily, nothing did.

You might call them and talk to someone. I’d probably ask them how they box the hat, how they ship it, what kind of insurance they include, what their return policies are, etc.

I like my new Stetson a lot. It’s a different model and quality level from the one you’re looking at, but I have never regretted buying it.
Thanks for that :) I don't know why not a lot came up when I searched :)

I was only asking of anyone had experience with the store I linked and I tried google it and fedoralounge before posting here.Custom hats tends to be "a bit" above my head and my budget.I don't buy from places or people I don't have any reviews or reports of they are trustable or good.
A good rabbit felt custom hat will cost you about $50 more than this middling quality Stetson

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The hat you posted is $290, I paid $300 for recent custom hat purchases...

This forum has the resources, use them

To be fair, the shift towards the board being more populated by custom makers is, relatively speaking, somewhat more recent. The primary resources the forum has are for documentation of vintage hats.

I'm not disagreeing about the overall value of customs per se, but sometimes its ok to just answer the question without redirecting. It can read as a little 'used car salesman' to be all like "you don't want that, you want a custom!"

Particularly if one makes custom hats. Just sayin'.

To be fair, the shift towards the board being more populated by custom makers is, relatively speaking, somewhat more recent. The primary resources the forum has are for documentation of vintage hats.

I'm not disagreeing about the overall value of customs per se, but sometimes its ok to just answer the question without redirecting. It can read as a little 'used car salesman' to be all like "you don't want that, you want a custom!"

Particularly if one makes custom hats. Just sayin'.
Understood. I misunderstood his question as I thought he was asking for information on the specific hat not the hat store. I think we are pretty much all adults here and there was nothing in my post to offend anyone. He can either take my information or leave it. And he would have to look hard to make the connection to my screen name and my hat brand. If he was willing to do the search....it might just indicate he is interested in a custom. If he is not interested, no harm .....no foul.

SnowyViking

New in Town
Understood. I misunderstood his question as I thought he was asking for information on the specific hat not the hat store. I think we are pretty much all adults here and there was nothing in my post to offend anyone. He can either take my information or leave it. And he would have to look hard to make the connection to my screen name and my hat brand. If he was willing to do the search....it might just indicate he is interested in a custom. If he is not interested, no harm .....no foul.
All is good here :) I'm new to custom hats so the prices I've seen around was so high that they put me a quiet a bit off to be honest.Also living in Norway we don't have any hatters here so ordering from other places in the world is the only way to go so I'm not used to the prices, and the shipping to over here is usually pretty high sadly.The hats on my list now is the justified hat from the tv series,Crocodile Dundee's hat and a western hat that looks like the hats that the wears in Walker the tv series.

All is good here :) I'm new to custom hats so the prices I've seen around was so high that they put me a quiet a bit off to be honest.Also living in Norway we don't have any hatters here so ordering from other places in the world is the only way to go so I'm not used to the prices, and the shipping to over here is usually pretty high sadly.The hats on my list now is the justified hat from the tv series,Crocodile Dundee's hat and a western hat that looks like the hats that the wears in Walker the tv series.
Yes, postage to Europe is def an impediment. There is a wide range of prices in the custom hat field. Northwest Hats in Oregon is holding steady at $325 for a top quality rabbit felt. Mike at NWHats is a Master Hatter. Hornskov and Hufvud, (Denmark & Sweden) are considerably higher in price.

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
My point was to not admonish but emphasize the quality information to be gleaned by simply reading this great forum. I have learned so much over the last 6 months. And I have only begun to explore this place

For instance I saw a Hufvud hat on ebay recently (sold for $200) that I never would have considered but for having seen the maker discussed on TFL

I have moved beyond my initial desires for current model Stesons as I have learned I can get a better hat at an equal price (if not better) just by digging and looking at sources on the web

TFL, though potentially overwhelming with information, really comes through when you invest the time to dig and learn

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
If you're in Norway then a custom hat from Hornskov Hats in Denmark or Hufved in Sweden would save you a lot of money postage wise.

Check out their websites.

Alternatively, go vintage. It's what most of us do here on the FL. You'll get a much better hat for a lot less money than a modern factory produced hat.

SnowyViking

New in Town
If you're in Norway then a custom hat from Hornskov Hats in Denmark or Hufved in Sweden would save you a lot of money postage wise.

Check out their websites.

Alternatively, go vintage. It's what most of us do here on the FL. You'll get a much better hat for a lot less money than a modern factory produced hat.
Thanks I'll have a look on those :)Where do I look for vintage hats? I'm totally green when it come to those.I tried on ebay but my big head didn't find much in my size there.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks I'll have a look on those :)Where do I look for vintage hats? I'm totally green when it come to those.I tried on ebay but my big head didn't find much in my size there.
First of all, what size are you? Large sizes are not easy to find, but not impossible.

Here are some suggestions:

Check out flea markets in your area.

Facebook Market Place: write in the search function what you're looking for.

Check the thread "Post New Hats" on the Fedora Lounge. Members sometimes find new hats too big for them.

Furthermore:

Check out Akubra hats if you're looking for a Crocodile Dundee type hat.

Look up Agnoulita Hats if you want a fairly reasonably priced European made custom hat.

SnowyViking

New in Town
First of all, what size are you? Large sizes are not easy to find, but not impossible.

Here are some suggestions:

Check out flea markets in your area.

Facebook Market Place: write in the search function what you're looking for.

Check the thread "Post New Hats" on the Fedora Lounge. Members sometimes find new hats too big for them.

Furthermore:

Check out Akubra hats if you're looking for a Crocodile Dundee type hat.

Look up Agnoulita Hats if you want a fairly reasonably priced European made custom hat.
Thanks :) I use 62/63 cm in hatsize.I really liked the Agnoulita Hats so I think I will be ordering there when my wallet agrees on it :)

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Came across this, and have been completely unable to ascertain anything about the maker. Anyone recognize this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Mystery maker.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1